Malzahn/Lindsey reactions to scrimmage

aubiefifty

montgomeryadvertiser.com

Malzahn's scrimmage reaction differs with Lindsey's view

Matthew Stevens, Montgomery Advertiser

6-7 minutes

CLOSE

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on first spring scrimmage (March 24, 2018). Matthew Stevens

Buy Photo

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey speaks during the Auburn's Peach Bowl offensive press conference on Dec. 30, 2107, in Atlanta, Ga.(Photo: Albert Cesare / Advertiser)Buy Photo

AUBURN – One of three options now exist due to the coach’s feedback from last weekend’s closed scrimmage being a little skewed.

Here are the likely options: Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey aren’t on the same page, The offensive line play looked better from a big-picture perspective with time to properly evaluate the film. One of the two men is not telling the whole truth.

After leaving the Jordan-Hare Stadium field Saturday afternoon, Malzahn was fairly confident that “the defense really stood out to me today (and) they won the line of scrimmage”. In his first media session this spring, Lindsey attempted to shine the light on the bright spots of his inexperienced offensive line against a defensive line unit ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said Thursday “is producing an awful lot of NFL prospects” in the near future.

“Overall, I was really pleased with the O-line and the progress they made, and that’s what kind of their first live action too (in) a scrimmage setting, so that’s was good,” Lindsey said.

Chip Lindsey speaks during a press conference after being named Auburn's offensive coordinator Jan. 21, 2017 in Auburn Alabama.  (Photo: Albert Cesare)

Malzahn confirmed last weekend that the Auburn offense gave up five turnovers including two interceptions by Robert E. Lee graduate Daniel Thomas and multiple turnovers by the first-team offense led by quarterback Malik Willis.

“(On) Saturday there was a couple of things here and there but he didn't play terrible at all,” Lindsey said of Willis’ play with the first-team offense while Stidham was still inactive. “I guess, now that he's running with the ones, I guess I'm holding him to a higher standard. He's not Malik Willis the young guy anymore. He's playing a little and we hold him to high standard but he made a lot of good decisions Saturday but just a couple he'd like to have back I know."

More: Auburn spring practice No. 9 notes & observations

After making its way through its starting quarterback and wide receiver depth chart, the injury bug has now crept into Auburn’s offensive line as two of the three candidates for the center position are injured. Nick Brahms, a former four-star prospect who redshirted last season, reportedly suffered a major leg injury and will be out for the rest of the spring session. Tucker Brown, who is transitioning from a blocking tight end position, was in a noncontact jersey in practice Thursday. These pair of injuries leaves Auburn with just junior Kaleb Kim active in the middle of the first-team offensive line, but the 293-pound athlete has impressed teammates with his command of the pace of the hurry-up offense.

“It’s just that natural chemistry that me and Kaleb have because, like you said, we came in with the same class, so we have natural chemistry,” junior offensive guard Marquel Harrell said. “It’s like, we might not say nothing, but I can be like ‘OK, you got this and we got this,’ and do those things like that.”

“When you have an inexperienced offensive line you are going to have some battles like that, but we hit a few runs the other day. Like I told you, I was kind of pleasantly surprised with that group up front.”

Auburn OC Chip Lindsey on the OL play in Saturday's closed scrimmage.

Lindsey echoed the reviews of the players from earlier practices that redshirt freshman Austin Troxell is a distinct possibility to start at right tackle when Auburn lines up against Washington for September's season opener in Atlanta.

“Austin Troxell has been a really bright spot for us. I really think he's made some progress as a guy that came in, a highly recruited guy that had some injuries and high school,” Lindsey said. “I really like what he did on Saturday.”

Calvin Ashley, who was a five-star prospect in the 2017 recruiting class, was absent from Thursday’s practice with what Auburn officials said was an unknown illness but the competition at right tackle between Troxell and Ashley appears to be headed toward the beginning of preseason camp.

“Those guys are really talented, good players,” Lindsey said when describing Auburn’s defensive line. “When you have an inexperienced offensive line you are going to have some battles like that, but we hit a few runs the other day. Like I told you, I was kind of pleasantly surprised with that group up front.”

From The USA TODAY NETWORK

this is how crap gets started. why does it have to imply someone is lying? why can it not be coach speak with gus trying to fire up the troops. and i am pretty sure the two separate videos are posted for those wanting to compare.......

I saw no contradictions whatsoever in what the two coaches said. Seems like the Montgomery Advertiser is doing their best AL.com impression.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I saw no contradictions whatsoever in what the two coaches said. Seems like the Montgomery Advertiser is doing their best AL.com impression.

i know some will not like the post and others will use it as fuel to bang gus. but if we start crossing off every writer that offended us we would pretty much run out of stuff to read.............and i am sure the three or four haters of mine will have something to say.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

if we start crossing off every writer that offended us we would pretty much run out of stuff to read......

Sad truth. Too many writers keep food on the table for spinning negative about Auburn... bama fans subscribe just to read that stuff.

the fact is if more members posted articles i could quit and no one would get upset with me. insteadmost of the complainers never add anything but comments. not aimed at you lion of course.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

the fact is if more members posted articles i could quit and no one would get upset with me. insteadmost of the complainers never add anything but comments. not aimed at you lion of course.

The reality is, fifty, most people appreciate what you do. In fact, in the Spring, I would say that number grows to almost 100% (and the ones that don't just like to complain in general), because there's nothing to be discussed except what you and other random news posters bring to the table. The only time I've seen you have detractors is in the season where some people just want game discussions, and even they don't dislike your content, they just want it to have it's own home... but I believe that group is highly out-numbered by those of us who appreciate you doing the leg work for us on all of these pieces and think it's fine just the way it is.

just on the front page my articles have over three thousand views so i know i am doing right. but thanx for the support...........and gosh that is a ton of views. i just feel like i help the site. i do not get paid of course i just love auburn and want to contribute......

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

just on the front page my articles have over three thousand views so i know i am doing right. but thanx for the support...........and gosh that is a ton of views. i just feel like i help the site. i do not get paid of course i just love auburn and want to contribute......

You definitely do. And you serve an even greater pubic service by dramatically reducing the clicks of Auburn fans on AL.com.

@aubiefifty, I don't think anyone gets mad at you but stop taking the cracks personally. I'm glad you post the stuff you do. On another note I hate the "Unknown Illness" excuse for players missing practice. I know privacy and all that but I have grown to be leary of that terminology lately. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

@aubiefifty, I don't think anyone gets mad at you but stop taking the cracks personally. I'm glad you post the stuff you do. On another note I hate the "Unknown Illness" excuse for players missing practice. I know privacy and all that but I have grown to be leary of that terminology lately. 

oh i get attacked and it used to bother me. not so much now but i do throw in a kinda disclaimer of the balance of those liking and disliking some of my posts. or just invite them to do better and it slows down the complainers is all...........sorry to imply otherwise.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You definitely do. And you serve an even greater pubic service by dramatically reducing the clicks of Auburn fans on AL.com.

i dislike al.com for a different reason. i am a puter dummy so i copy and paste a lot and for whatever reason i have more problems doing that from their site than any other. and i will hit the text only doo hickey and it brings up a different article. weird to me but since i do not have those issues at any other site i am prtty sure it is them.............

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

oh i get attacked and it used to bother me. not so much now but i do throw in a kinda disclaimer of the balance of those liking and disliking some of my posts. or just invite them to do better and it slows down the complainers is all...........sorry to imply otherwise.

People are only going to compliment/thank you so many times, but the insults/complaints will never cease. I'm sure our football coach feels the same way, lol.

Stage performers say that even if everyone else in the audience is cheering, they will only notice the one person who isn't.

Anyway, this article is trash. I'm not complaining that you posted it, only that the state media continue to serve another master. It hasn't always been this way and I hope that AD Greene puts some thought and effort into turning it around. 

I sure didn't get " the someone is lying" angle of the article. Gus was speaking from a HC perspective and Chip was talking from an OC perspective. Nothing more than that.

Just now, McLoofus said:

People are only going to compliment/thank you so many times, but the insults/complaints will never cease. I'm sure our football coach feels the same way, lol.

Stage performers say that even if everyone else in the audience is cheering, they will only notice the one person who isn't.

Anyway, this article is trash. I'm not complaining that you posted it, only that the state media continue to serve another master. It hasn't always been this way and I hope that AD Greene puts some thought and effort into turning it around. 

odd you say that. i am a singer or have been off and on since the eighties. made my first bucks in 78 and actually made a cd. i used to tell the hecklers they could sit on an ice cream and tell what flavor it was......lol  a smart azz ya see.............oh the cd never did squat.........lol

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

I sure didn't get " the someone is lying" angle of the article. Gus was speaking from a HC perspective and Chip was talking from an OC perspective. Nothing more than that.

i didnot go back and listen to compare but i was shocked it was printed by a montgomery paper..........

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

odd you say that. i am a singer or have been off and on since the eighties. made my first bucks in 78 and actually made a cd. i used to tell the hecklers they could sit on an ice cream and tell what flavor it was......lol  a smart azz ya see.............oh the cd never did squat.........lol

WUT

Fifty, I feel like you might quietly be the Most Interesting Man in the Auburn Family. I have genuinely enjoyed getting to "know you" better!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

WUT

Fifty, I feel like you might quietly be the Most Interesting Man in the Auburn Family. I have genuinely enjoyed getting to "know you" better!

yes i am a strange cat and probably post too much personal stuff on here but all my family is dead. i got two neices up north i never hear from so i blab too much i guess when i feel lonely. just wanting to fit in and not a " look at me" kind of thing...........but trust me i got tons of enemies..............lol

Just now, aubiefifty said:

yes i am a strange cat and probably post too much personal stuff on here but all my family is dead. i got two neices up north i never hear from so i blab too much i guess when i feel lonely. just wanting to fit in and not a " look at me" kind of thing...........but trust me i got tons of enemies..............lol

Only boring folks don't.

Blab on, brother. I think a lot of people have made friends here and have grown to genuinely care about each other based exclusively off sharing personal stuff. See the Zach Gilbert and Tigers are Stronger than Cancer threads, for example.

Anyway, we're all here for Auburn football but it's people talking about important stuff that makes it matter.

49 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

No worries. Glad you can blab away on here. I appreciate the articles you have shared! 

15 minutes ago, shabby said:

with all the injuries thank God it's spring and not fall. can i get an amen?

Amen.

get them out now so we can last through mid January. ?

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Sad truth. Too many writers keep food on the table for spinning negative about Auburn... bama fans subscribe just to read that stuff.

The good thing about football is that is not (for the most part) a beauty contest.  Sports writers can write anything they like, but ultimately the game must be played.  If Auburn's O-line is bad it will be bad, if it is good...  No writers opinion will change either fact.  Also, there can only stir up controversy if Auburn people care / believe what they write.  I think most of us are pretty jaded by it all now.  Let spuat fans enjoy reading articles in the off-season, I prefer the enjoyment I got reading articles immediately following the Iron Bowl last year.  It was worth a year of negativity.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Malzahn/Lindsey reactions to scrimmage
11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I really enjoy the articles!  Thank you for posting them!!!

Its much better than reading the same old tired arguments that most of our threads turn into.....

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Jesus Christ, 50.no one is complaining about you...it's the articles and how they're written that people have beef with.:dunno:

Archived