The Dan LeBatard Show

tigerbrotha12

I wanted to know if my sentiments are shared on this. For those that are not familiar, ESPN runs a radio show in the late morning every day called the Dan Lebatard show hosted by Dan Lebatard himself. This is quite possibly one of the worst sports talk shows I’ve ever listened to. I just listened to a 10 minute segment in the car and the topics included: 

-The movie Boogie Nights

- Do you think Loyola Chicago players hate Sister Jean because she’s stealing their spotlight

- The creation of a twitter poll asking listeners favorite movie, and what song they associate most with a movie or scene.

-And the only actual sports content nugget, a ten second rant by the co-host, Stu Gatts, about the Chicago Blackhawks being the favorite to win the Stanley Cup this season. 

Some might say that I’m missing the point of the show and that it’s intended to be a farce- kind of stupid and sarcastic. If this is the case, what in the world is ESPN doing broadcasting this show across their major air wave station? More sports content comes out of the Fineb*ob show than this one. 

These guys call themselves experts then want to goof off instead of talk any actual sports. I’m turning it off; anyone have different views? 

He has a goofy, culture-deprecating, Cuban-American shtick. But, his resume is lengthy for sports coverage, Miami in particular. IIRC, he was featured on the ESPN 30 for 30 "The U" prominently, as he covered the UoM in the early 90s. Including his Cubano dad on his ESPN tv/radio show was always kinda funny to me, but you probably just caught him on an off-bit. 

But I understand how it is to tune into a show whilst captive in a car or something and be severely annoyed, over and over.  That's how I felt about the Cube Show featuring Arky Shea in Huntsville. That Arky was a bloviating moron who thought he was God's gift to comedy, but just came across like an obese doofus. Not funny, not talented, just a Dum Lar Dass with a microphone.

EDIT: I don't know Arky Shea personally; he's probably a superb human being, but listening to his bloviating buffoonery each morning got really old, really fast. RIP Cube Show.

12 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I wanted to know if my sentiments are shared on this. For those that are not familiar, ESPN runs a radio show in the late morning every day called the Dan Lebatard show hosted by Dan Lebatard himself. This is quite possibly one of the worst sports talk shows I’ve ever listened to. I just listened to a 10 minute segment in the car and the topics included: 

-The movie Boogie Nights

- Do you think Loyola Chicago players hate Sister Jean because she’s stealing their spotlight

- The creation of a twitter poll asking listeners favorite movie, and what song they associate most with a movie or scene.

-And the only actual sports content nugget, a ten second rant by the co-host, Stu Gatts, about the Chicago Blackhawks being the favorite to win the Stanley Cup this season. 

Some might say that I’m missing the point of the show and that it’s intended to be a farce- kind of stupid and sarcastic. If this is the case, what in the world is ESPN doing broadcasting this show across their major air wave station? More sports content comes out of the Fineb*ob show than this one. 

These guys call themselves experts then want to goof off instead of talk any actual sports. I’m turning it off; anyone have different views? 

lmao yah dude you def do not get the show at all. It is def not meant for you and you are not the target audience. You just gave me a huge laugh because so many people have this same problem with this show and just do not understand it. It skews younger. It is actually the number 1 listened to radio show on ESPN. It is why ESPN felt comfortable to break up mike and mike to put greeny on his own morning tv show with jalen rose and beadle debuting monday. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lmao yah dude you def do not get the show at all. It is def not meant for you and you are not the target audience. You just gave me a huge laugh because so many people have this same problem with this show and just do not understand it. It skews younger. It is actually the number 1 listened to radio show on ESPN. It is why ESPN felt comfortable to break up mike and mike to put greeny on his own morning tv show with jalen rose and beadle debuting monday. 

This being the #1 show on ESPN doesn't say much for ESPN broadcasting.  Maybe ESPN should punt and change strategy on the next possession.  I can't listen to this show, or any other ESPN shows, for that matter. 

Well I am with those who can't listen to this show.  My problem is not the nonsensical bs they rattle off but the fact it is supposed to be a sports show.  I mean ESPN is supposed to be about sports not just random bs.  That's what Rick & Bubba are for.

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

This being the #1 show on ESPN doesn't say much for ESPN broadcasting.  Maybe ESPN should punt and change strategy on the next possession.  I can't listen to this show, or any other ESPN shows, for that matter. 

I'm OK with some of the random bs.  Two of my favorite sports talk shows, Jox Roundtable and the new 3 Man Front, will stray away from sports occasionally.  Just make it interesting and I'll listen. 

YOU DON GET THE SHOWWW

*you will only get this reference if you listen to the Dan le Batard show lol

But @GwillMac6 nailed it. Le Batard is a big time contrarian and that certainly shows up on his radio show. I am a daily listener but you can't go into it expecting to get insightful sports takes -- it's just not that type of show. I like the comedy (Greg Cote Tuesdays are great), and I am into the social issues in and around sports that Dan touches on (when he's not overdoing it or just repeating the same point he's been making).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 11:08 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

-The movie Boogie Nights

On 4/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, Tiger said:

YOU DON GET THE SHOWWW

*you will only get this reference if you listen to the Dan le Batard show lol

But @GwillMac6 nailed it. Le Batard is a big time contrarian and that certainly shows up on his radio show. I am a daily listener but you can't go into it expecting to get insightful sports takes -- it's just not that type of show. I like the comedy (Greg Cote Tuesdays are great), and I am into the social issues in and around sports that Dan touches on (when he's not overdoing it or just repeating the same point he's been making).

Yes, it takes a few episodes to really understand it, but once you do, it's seriously genius on all levels. I think of it like the Seinfeld of Sports Radio. It's the Sports Radio show about nothing.

3 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Yes, it takes a few episodes to really understand it, but once you do, it's seriously genius on all levels. I think of it like the Seinfeld of Sports Radio. It's the Sports Radio show about nothing.

OMGSH!!!!!! this is the best analogy I have ever heard anyone make. PERFECTION!!!!

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OMGSH!!!!!! this is the best analogy I have ever heard anyone make. PERFECTION!!!!

Was just about to say that @WDEKC nailed the description. Very well said! I think Dan refers to the show's team as "the marching band headed towards nowhere" or something like that lol.

I'm into how the show continuously highlights the absurdity of sports media and the hot-take culture we live in now

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Was just about to say that @WDEKC nailed the description. Very well said! I think Dan refers to the show's team as "the marching band headed towards nowhere" or something like that lol.

I'm into how the show continuously highlights the absurdity of sports media and the hot-take culture we live in now

YES TIGER!!! PREACH!!!! Let it be heard.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:08 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

24 hour televised sports coverage is no longer feasible. People get their information elsewhere (primarily twitter). They get truly in-depth info about the teams they follow from message boards, blogs and, again, twitter. They can curate their own experience. But ESPN still has to produce *something*. It's the same with magazines, newspapers, other networks, etc. 

You just have to hope they produce something you enjoy. 

15 hours ago, Southwest said:

I like the show with him and Bomani Jones along with Papi.

Bomani Jones is a national treasure. 

one of if not the worst ESPN shows for me. way to goofy. I want sports talk.  it's probably the only ESPN show i wouldnt dare watch

I don't care for the radio show, but I think Lebatard is one of the most talented people working at ESPN. I've read several of his columns on the Miami Herald website and they were top notch. Pretty sure I'm not his target audience though, and I can understand having shows that appeal to different groups of people. I just enjoy listening to sports talk when I'm listening to a sports show.

Archived