2019 4* WR Jashawn Sheffield Commits to AU!!!

WFE12

Meh, I’ll take both Sheffield and Cross. Safety is too integral a piece imo for the staff to choose one over the other

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mikey said:

yet there's no action on his part.

He's not the hold up. His mom is. She wants to meet the staff one more time before green lighting him. Also has taken him to at least 1 other school to make sure of his decision.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

we may need to be considering other options.

We are. See Nick Cross who we lead with per WDE.

With Handy-Holly likely going on the scholly books in 2019 as a RS Soph I don't see us taking 2 high school safeties in the class.

2 hours ago, Auburn 6 said:

A question to those that are more connected than me.  Is Sheffield still a take for us if we're feeling confident about landing Nick Cross?  Could we be slow playing Sheffield at this point?

I've wondered the same thing but AU recruiting reportersd haven't said anything on the topic. I suspect he is a take though. Will tell you why after it's all sorted out if you remind me.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

from other higher rated players.  

All together class...

The staff doesn't care about public ratings. They only care about their board & their ratings.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Question for E.  His highlights are at the WR position almost exclusively.  Did we like him as strictly an Athlete for Offense or is he being recruited specifically at Safety?  I know Steele has been heavily involved so he must like what he sees out of him as a safety I presume.

We like him at both. That's why the thread title says S/WR. I suspect more at Safety though the way the WR board is shaking out.

Gotta be real frustrating for him. He really wants to be here and Jaylin and OP want him here too. It will to come to fruition though. 

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Gotta be real frustrating for him. He really wants to be here and Jaylin and OP want him here too. It will to come to fruition though. 

he will regret it if he waits to long.

57 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Meh, I’ll take both Sheffield and Cross. Safety is too integral a piece imo for the staff to choose one over the other

Problem is though you likely have 24 spot with other roster needs & likely a Soph safety that will go on scholly then.

1 minute ago, lutzcammed said:

he will regret it if he waits to long.

Not him waiting at this point.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's not the hold up. His mom is. She wants to meet the staff one more time before green lighting him. Also has taken him to at least 1 other school to make sure of his decision.

We are. See Nick Cross who we lead with per WDE.

With Handy-Holly likely going on the scholly books in 2019 as a RS Soph I don't see us taking 2 high school safeties in the class.

We need to

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All together class...

The staff doesn't care about public ratings. They only care about their board & their ratings.

We like him at both. That's why the thread title says S/WR. I suspect more at Safety though the way the WR board is shaking out.

I did not say stars.  I say higher rated players.  Meaning who the staff might have higher rated than him.  Sorry for any confusion.

29 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I did not say stars.  I say higher rated players.  Meaning who the staff might have higher rated than him.  Sorry for any confusion.

Didn't say you said stars. Just pointing out that when people use the phrase "higher rated players" 9 times out of 10 (if not more) they are talking about site ratings.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Problem is though you likely have 24 spot with other roster needs & likely a Soph safety that will go on scholly then.

Yep, and I get that. Especially since our OL depth is getting a little scary. I just like the duality and ability of Sheffield at S or WR. But I think you are right, we probably only take one of the safeties even though I would take both.

I think if the staff does take/push for both though that it is telling of how recruiting is going at other areas of need

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Didn't say you said stars. Just pointing out that when people use the phrase "higher rated players" 9 times out of 10 (if not more) they are talking about site ratings.

I'm with ya.  I smell what you are cookin'.  

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I'm with ya.  I smell what you are cookin'.  

I see you now how to quickly befriend me. lol

c632b7ac8bc0bf33f4056885c929f9c5.gif

41 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Yep, and I get that. Especially since our OL depth is getting a little scary. I just like the duality and ability of Sheffield at S or WR. But I think you are right, we probably only take one of the safeties even though I would take both.

I think if the staff does take/push for both though that it is telling of how recruiting is going at other areas of need

Well I'm going to roll back what I said a bit. I could see AU taking 2 high school safeties in the class w/ Zion Puckett being a CB/S where ever we would need him most.

On OL depth getting scary, it's not scary right now if Grimes develops them & we don't have much attrition. We have 6 schollied players each at OT & OG & 3 schollied C's. Of the 15 schollied primary OLs None are SRs & 7 are JRs (3 Ts, 3 Gs, & 1 C.). If players can develop I'm not sure we need more than 4 OL in the class. A lot will depend on this season IMO.

Does Handy-Holly factor into the 25? As I understand it, he's coming as a walk-on. If we grant him a scholarship after his walk-on season, that doesn't count against the 25 limit, right? That's the same as awarding a senior walk-on a scholarship his last year, which isn't an initial counter I don't think. They go against the 85, but there has to be some rule about walk-ons moving to scholarship or coaches would never just burn a spot in their 25 for a feel good story.

7 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Does Handy-Holly factor into the 25?

He will if he goes on scholly before the fall of 2020.

If we grant him a scholarship after his walk-on season, that doesn't count against the 25 limit, right?

Incorrect. Walk ons have to walk on 2 full years before they can go on scholly & not count to a yearly 25 initial counter limit.

That's the same as awarding a senior walk-on a scholarship his last year, which isn't an initial counter I don't think.

Not the same. In most cases those walk on SRs have been at the school 3 years which exzceeds to 2 year minimum stated above.

They go against the 85, but there has to be some rule about walk-ons moving to scholarship or coaches would never just burn a spot in their 25 for a feel good story. 

Covered above.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

On OL depth getting scary, it's not scary right now if Grimes develops them & we don't have much attrition. We have 6 schollied players each at OT & OG & 3 schollied C's. Of the 15 schollied primary OLs None are SRs & 7 are JRs (3 Ts, 3 Gs, & 1 C.). If players can develop I'm not sure we need more than 4 OL in the class. A lot will depend on this season IMO.

I know this should be in a thread regardig OL but you started it :) The only problem I have with this is experience.  I understand that the players we have will likely play the 2018 & 2019 season, but if we don't bring the players in this class (2019) then they will be true freshmen coming in for the 2020 season and we will be expecting true freshmen OL to compete in the SEC.  That is very scary to me.

Yeah, it was the two-year thing that I was trying to recall. So basically, if he's put on scholarship after one year, he counts. If it's two years, he doesn't.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I know this should be in a thread regardig OL but you started it :) The only problem I have with this is experience.  I understand that the players we have will likely play the 2018 & 2019 season, but if we don't bring the players in this class (2019) then they will be true freshmen coming in for the 2020 season and we will be expecting true freshmen OL to compete in the SEC.  That is very scary to me.

I didn't say don't bring anyone in. I said 4 & meant 4 minimum. Split the difference on the 7 eventual JRs leaving Obviously 7 this year would be overboard. The freshmen would have to necessarily compete in the SEC year 1.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Yeah, it was the two-year thing that I was trying to recall. So basically, if he's put on scholarship after one year, he counts. If it's two years, he doesn't.

Yes. I would be surprised if it was 2 before he goes on scholly. IMO the only reason he's not on scholly coming in is because we don't have room to add any scholly players before January except 2 year or more walk ons.

Just now, ellitor said:

Jashawn & family have arrived for his OV free from Keith.

Got me this time...Nice shootin Tex.

IMG_1257.GIF

Archived