Baseball vs Missouri Game 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Really ungodly numbers I mean three frickin walks in 47 innings.....just damn

His strikeout to walk ratio last year was a hair over 12:1 (109/9) and was the best in division 1.  He could potentially shatter that this year.  I'm trying to see if I can find the best all time in the SEC and D1.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

we have some of longest black snakes I have ever seen in my life here in the mountains. One had to be 6 foot long. Fortunately, they are not aggressive except to other snakes around. We have some nasty copper head snakes here. I killed a 3 footer last summer on my driveway. There is a snake repellent you can get at Walmart that does a decent job considering the number of snakes folks see in my neighborhood. I have to be diligent to keep Sir Maxwell away from snakes. He would try to play with one if he ever encountered one. I am working on training him to hate them as much as he hates elephants!

Great win for the good guys tonight!  1 down and 2 to go!

My dogs get a poisonous snake bite once or twice every year. That goes with the territory where we live. Your vet has a rattlesnake vaccine that will help them survive a bite. Suffering a snakebite still spoils their day but they survive and recover very nicely.

59 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I hate frickin snakes....................................stop it not.............................I am going to have damn nightmares now

Me too.....they are terrifying!

Overall, good performance tonight by our guys. Save for a few pitches, pitching was great, defense was phenomenal, and got timely hits when they were needed. If we can keep the bats going tomorrow, Daniel should give us a great chance to win the series and eye a sweep on Sunday. Let’s come out hair on fire! 

Just saw the hit and run mentioned earlier, that had to really be a dagger for Missouri.  Bottom of the sixth, runners on first and second with nobody out, looking for the strikeout on a 1-2 pitch and Venters puts the ugliest inside out swing on it.  Just barely gets enough of it to get it into the outfield and pokes the ball right into the vacancy left by the 2B moving over to take the throw.  Would have been disastrous if Mizzou could have gotten the strike 'em out - throw 'em out.  It wasn't pretty, but execution was exactly what Gabe was calling for.

One other thing of beauty in what's becoming the most gorgeous of seasons for Mize...he struck out Trey Harris (who is actually from right down the street here in Powder Springs) twice and made him look ridiculous.  That kid has been a menace to SEC pitching over the last couple of years...currently hitting .352 (only struck out 16 times in 26 games this season).  That last strikeout on the breaking ball looked like something out of a first year of kid pitch, kind of an "oh no" wave with the bat.

Mize probably deserves his own thread this year.  I have enjoyed this team last year and this year very much.  Not just because they have been winning but, like the basketball team, they have been winning with heart and as a team.  The really good play has been a bonus.

with all that said, Mize is must watch TV if you are even a casual fan of college baseball.  The kid had a very good game and didn’t have his best stuff.  If the D holds to 2 and O give him 5, he’ll win the vast majority of the time.  He’s a special talent.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Mize probably deserves his own thread this year.  I have enjoyed this team last year and this year very much.  Not just because they have been winning but, like the basketball team, they have been winning with heart and as a team.  The really good play has been a bonus.

with all that said, Mize is must watch TV if you are even a casual fan of college baseball.  The kid had a very good game and didn’t have his best stuff.  If the D holds to 2 and O give him 5, he’ll win the vast majority of the time.  He’s a special talent.

I was in AU and saw him pitch that 2-1 win over Florida last year and could see then that he was the real thing.....been great to watch him develop to where he is now.   Yep....a special talent...

Unless something significant happens, Mize is going to be a top 5 overall pick in the draft this year. I’ve seen a few draft people saying that Detroit loves college pitchers and they may take him first overall. 

Archived