Women's basketball final

AU64

Miss State vs Notre Dame....who would have ever dreamed up that final.

Both semi-final games went to OT and clutch shooting in the final seconds took the games to OT and ultimately gave the winners the chance for the Championship.   I watched some of both games and once again realized that AU is light years away from being competitive at this level.    Miss State was clearly the best in the SEC and when it came down to it, there was hardly anyone close to them.....well South Carolina on a good night but that was it.

40 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Two years in row no UConn

That is just crazy. They are the best team I have ever seen in respect to their competition. Over 100 consecutive wins in regular season.  

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That is just crazy. They are the best team I have ever seen in respect to their competition. Over 100 consecutive wins in regular season.  

I would have never picked ND to beat them.........never

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Interesting that Stanford and ND are the only teams to be able to handle them in recent years.....similar teams.....put them in generic uniforms and let them play and you would not be able to tell which team was which....

added comment...:   For Notre Dame, it's been an improbable run to the title game. The Irish lost four players to ACL injuries during the season, leaving them with only seven healthy scholarship players. They rallied from second-half deficits in their last three games to reach the final.

My prediction is Miss ST becomes the AU womens bball of the 2010's. Goes to back to back natty games and loses. Heck they may even 3 peat it like we did next year and go for the trifecta of being the runner up.

I watched both games last night. Those ND kids are tough! I wouldn't want to cross any of them in a dark alley. I think MSU will have their hands full

I watched both game. I thought y’all told me women’s basketball was boring. 

37 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I watched both game. I thought y’all told me women’s basketball was boring. 

:)  It's a different game and sometimes they make you shake your head but there is never a shortage of energy.   The games last night were both "instant classics" and some heartbroken losers who both had a good chance to win.   

MSU sticking it to them at the moment....30-17 at half

Well ND hit an amazing shot with a second to take the win.....MSU lost a five point lead in a couple minutes.....

Technically, MSU has time for a play but less than a second...

And that's it....61-58 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well ND hit an amazing shot with a second to take the win.....MSU lost a five point lead in a couple minutes.....

And that's it....61-58 

What a terrific game.   By rule it was impossible for MSU to score at the end. When there is .3 or less on the clock the shot has to be a tip in, it can not by rule be a catch and shoot.  Since it was a 3 pt game, there was just no way for msu to actually score there.        Again what a terrific basketball game.      2 semifinal games go to OT and the finals are won at the buzzer.  WOW. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And that's it....61-58 

The refs kinda screwed Miss State at the end. What a horrible no call. The Notre Dame girl literally knocked the Miss State player down to get the ball back but the refs swallowed their whistle. The no call ended up causing Miss State's best player to foul out and then allowed Notre Dame to set up the game winning shot. 

Miss State had their chances with a bad missed layup in the last minute and they also missed numerous free throws earlier in the game. All that came back to bite Miss State at the end.

18 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

What a terrific game.   By rule it was impossible for MSU to score at the end. When there is .3 or less on the clock the shot has to be a tip in, it can not by rule be a catch and shoot.  Since it was a 3 pt game, there was just no way for msu to actually score there.        Again what a terrific basketball game.      2 semifinal games go to OT and the finals are won at the buzzer.  WOW. 

MSU coach left with lots to think about....could have fouled before that final shot by ND and game would basically have been into OT.....had a foul to give and did make it....

But a tense game all the way....and the way a championship should be decided....

11 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The refs kinda screwed Miss State at the end. What a horrible no call. The Notre Dame girl literally knocked the Miss State player down to get the ball back but the refs swallowed their whistle. The no call ended up causing Miss State's best player to foul out and then allowed Notre Dame to set up the game winning shot. 

Miss State had their chances with a bad missed layup in the last minute and they also missed numerous free throws earlier in the game. All that came back to bite Miss State at the end.

JMO but the refs turned on MSU early in the second half and called lots of fouls against them.....basically any shot ND missed became foul shooting opportunity it seemed.....especially during that run when MSU was ahead. ...got all their leading players in foul trouble.....but at the end, the game was available to State...and ND just survived the pressure better.

Archived