Pearl named National Coach of the Year

aubiefifty

Auburn Basketball

Bruce Pearl named 2018 Red Auerbach National Coach of the Year

Updated 1:40 PM; Posted 1:40 PM

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl was named the 2018 Red Auerbach National Coach of the Year on Saturday. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)(Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl was named the 2018 Red Auerbach National Coach of the Year on Saturday by the Jewish Coaches Association.

Pearl was award the annual honor on Saturday in San Antonio during the JCA's annual meeting, which was held in the same city as this year's Final Four. Pearl also won the award in 2010.

Pearl guided Auburn to a 26-8 record this season, and the Tigers went wire-to-wire in the SEC to take home a share of the program's third-ever SEC regular-season crown and its first since 1999.

In his fourth year, Pearl also helped Auburn earn its first NCAA Tournament berth since 2003. The Tigers were a No. 4 seed in the Midwest Region, and they defeated College of Charleston in the first round before bowing out against Clemson in Round 2.

Pearl also guided Auburn through tumult this season, as the Sept. 26 arrest of then-assistant Chuck Person amid an FBI investigation into the criminal influence of money on college basketball ultimately cost two of Auburn's best players, Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy, their eligibility during the season.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to Pearl named National Coach of the Year

I’ve never heard of this award but congrats anyways. Better than not winning it for sure. 

On another note, the award that’s generally considered to be the National Coach of the Year (AP) has gone to UVA’s coach. Ironic no?

Awesome and yes, well deserved.

Thanks for coming to Auburn and making Auburn relevant again. 

This is just a slap in the face to the SEC.  He didn't win SEC CoY and had no 1st team players.  Such BS!

Congrats Coach!!  Well earned.  WDE!!!

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, but @AU64 says he’s overrated.

;D

Jewish Coaches Association.....You did know that of course  :-\ .......and yep,  I can accept that he might have had the best year among their members...  And happy that he won it.....always nice for a guy to add some hardware to his trophy cabinet...

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Jewish Coaches Association.....You did know that of course

I didn’t and you got me you sly animal, you. Are only the Jewish coaches nominated for the award?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn’t and you got me you sly animal, you. Are only the Jewish coaches nominated for the award?

:)    and that seems to be the case...but it does include Jewish coaches at all college levels.  

The Jewish Coaches Association is a non-profit organization founded in 2005 that supports Jewish-American college, high school and youth basketball coaches around the United States. The association is an advocacy group for coaches to represent coaches to the NCAA and National Association of Basketball Coaches. Founding members include Coach Bobby Schwartz, founding national Director; Bruce Pearl, head coach of the Auburn Tigers served as the first president of the association. Auburn assistant Coach Harris Adler is the current President of the association.

And wow....look who one of the founders was...

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:)    and that seems to be the case...but it does include Jewish coaches at all college levels.  

The Jewish Coaches Association is a non-profit organization founded in 2005 that supports Jewish-American college, high school and youth basketball coaches around the United States. The association is an advocacy group for coaches to represent coaches to the NCAA and National Association of Basketball Coaches. Founding members include Coach Bobby Schwartz, founding national Director; Bruce Pearl, head coach of the Auburn Tigers served as the first president of the association. Auburn assistant Coach Harris Adler is the current President of the association.

And wow....look who one of the founders was...

You have effectively rained on my parade, well done. :sad2:

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You have effectively rained on my parade, well done. :sad2:

Nah...don't be like that......the guy is a good coach.....and glad he gets the national recognition....things like that are good for the AU program....

21 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

This is just a slap in the face to the SEC.  He didn't win SEC CoY and had no 1st team players.  Such BS!

Congrats Coach!!  Well earned.  WDE!!!

If you'll remember, Gene Chizik didn't win the SEC coach of the year after the 2010 season. Spurrier, whose team Chizik's Tigers beat twice, was given that award. Chizik had to settle for the numerous national awards he won. That same year, Cam Newton became the only Heisman winner to not be voted SEC Male Athlete of the Year. That was given to some tennis player from Tennessee.

Thus, to hell with our SEC "brothers". I root against them at every opportunity except in the rare occasions when their winning helps AU.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

If you'll remember, Gene Chizik didn't win the SEC coach of the year after the 2010 season. Spurrier, whose team Chizik's Tigers beat twice, was given that award. Chizik had to settle for the numerous national awards he won. That same year, Cam Newton became the only Heisman winner to not be voted SEC Male Athlete of the Year. That was given to some tennis player from Tennessee.

Thus, to hell with our SEC "brothers". I root against them at every opportunity except in the rare occasions when their winning helps AU.

AMEN! If Auburn were offered a chance at leaving the SEC and it made sense to do so I'd be all for it. this league is ran by turds and lizards with the occasional touch of thUGA. I'm beyond tired of the way they treat Auburn. 

On 4/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, NoALtiger said:

I’ve never heard of this award but congrats anyways. Better than not winning it for sure. 

On another note, the award that’s generally considered to be the National Coach of the Year (AP) has gone to UVA’s coach. Ironic no?

Give COTY to a leader of a team that got obliterated by a Little Caesars-tier institution guys 

All of the Jewish bball recruits in this country will take notice...may get us a little cultural pipeline.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Listening to a post game interview with the 'Nova coach, Jay Wright  and he thanked a couple other coaches from his league who helped  them study and scout Michigan before the championship game.     He noted....."the coaches in our league stick together."       Boy.....would never hear that from an SEC coach in any sport.  

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Listening to a post game interview with the 'Nova coach, Jay Wright  and he thanked a couple other coaches from his league who helped  them study and scout Michigan before the championship game.     He noted....."the coaches in our league stick together."       Boy.....would never hear that from an SEC coach in any sport.  

Big 10 used to be that way in football until ol' Urban came along and brought the SEC's "every man for himself, win at all cost" philosophy with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats goes to coach Pearl for being named National Coach of the Year. You should been named SEC Coach Year. Heck, we all saw you and our Tigers beat Tenn at Tenn in our only meeting for 2017-2018.

Media et al getting around to scratching their heads and saying hey, Bruce's post-Person damage control was pretty impressive (and oh btw, it looks like feds agree it makes little sense for a well paid HEAD coach to be the bribed middle-man in an agent's scheme w/ parents to get good players to leave college early). 

congrats to the best coach in the SEC hands down. Did not know Coach Pearl was Jewish. More power to him, and Shalom to Coach Pearl. I cannot wait to see what surprises he has in store for Auburn Basketball in what I hope will be many years of excellence!

Archived