Baseball vs Missouri Game 3

15 minutes ago, boomstick said:

He had the chance to return to State two years ago before they hired Cannizarro. He was offered the job and turned it down. Maybe two years later, he sees it differently, but I don't know that he'd take it now if he didn't want it then.

If my timeline is correct, he was hired at Auburn in October 2015.  Cohen left the baseball program to become AD in November 2016.  Cannizaro was hired in November 2016.  I think Auburn dodged a bullet in such that it kind of looks really bad if you leave your first head coaching gig barely 12 months after you got it.

Was he really offered the job in 2016 there though?  I know it was rumored he was a candidate but I never heard of a formal offer being presented and turned down.  If this is the case though, then I feel a bit better, though I wish they'd just offer Mingione and be done with it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

If my timeline is correct, he was hired at Auburn in October 2015.  Cohen left the baseball program to become AD in November 2016.  Cannizaro was hired in November 2016.  I think Auburn dodged a bullet in such that it kind of looks really bad if you leave your first head coaching gig barely 12 months after you got it.

Was he really offered the job in 2016 there though?  I know it was rumored he was a candidate but I never heard of a formal offer being presented and turned down.  If this is the case though, then I feel a bit better, though I wish they'd just offer Mingione and be done with it.

This whole thing bothers me...moving within the SEC is not gaining any ground in my view.   He's seems like a good guy but also seems like he has not been here long enough to do much more than get back to where we were when he arrived......well better than that but the kind of situation where if he leaves we could lose some of the better players too.   I'd really be disappointed in him as a person if he were to leave after this season.  Hoping this is just pot-stirring by some other conference foes. .

3 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

From what I was told, he was offered and declined the job. The person who told me is pretty reliable. 

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

The rumors have shown up with more frequency in the last week or so. Most of them are coming from friends or "people in the know" at Miss St. Supposedly, the rumors are somewhat strong in Mississippi. There was a travel ball twitter account that tweeted last week  Butch was a done deal to State, but the rivals mods don't think he's leaving at all. 

While I think BT has done a pretty good job so far at AU, MSU is one of tradition rich baseball programs in the country (albeit not so much the last few years), would they not have a little wider search process. Not trying to run BT down, but would they somewhat be settling for BT? Could they not interest a coach that has accomplished more at some other program?

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

While I think BT has done a pretty good job so far at AU, MSU is one of tradition rich baseball programs in the country (albeit not so much the last few years), would they not have a little wider search process. Not trying to run BT down, but would they somewhat be settling for BT? Could they not interest a coach that has accomplished more at some other program?

IMO he'd be like South Carolina football hiring Muschamp after offering some bigger fish. I think it would be a good hire for them since I think he's a good coach and good fit here, but I think they will want to get turned down by a few bigger names first. Dan McDonnell at Louisville is a name that keeps coming up that would be a pretty big name. Plus, I'm sure there are others that John Cohen would want to talk to before Butch.

43 minutes ago, boomstick said:

IMO he'd be like South Carolina football hiring Muschamp after offering some bigger fish. I think it would be a good hire for them since I think he's a good coach and good fit here, but I think they will want to get turned down by a few bigger names first. Dan McDonnell at Louisville is a name that keeps coming up that would be a pretty big name. Plus, I'm sure there are others that John Cohen would want to talk to before Butch.

I could see them offering....I just can't see him leaving AU for them...he sure would not be able to look at his time here as a big success.....lots for him to accomplish yet.

Archived