Calvin Ashley

NorthGATiger

If I have missed it on here I apologize but I keep noticing that the media depth chart after the 2nd scrimmage still has Troxell ahead of Ashley.  I don't want to read too much into that but I am hoping that Troxell is just playing really well instead of Ashley struggling.  Anyone have any insight?

27 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

If I have missed it on here I apologize but I keep noticing that the media depth chart after the 2nd scrimmage still has Troxell ahead of Ashley.  I don't want to read too much into that but I am hoping that Troxell is just playing really well instead of Ashley struggling.  Anyone have any insight?

I've heard Troxell is playing really well, but I also get the feeling that Ashley may be the next Cowart. The fact that Chip talks more about his potential than his actual ability is telling. Hopefully between now and the Fall, Grimes can flip that switch. 

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've heard Troxell is playing really well, but I also get the feeling that Ashley may be the next Cowart. The fact that Chip talks more about his potential than his actual ability is telling. Hopefully between now and the Fall, Grimes can flip that switch. 

I hope so as well.  It appears he has the physical tools to be successful.  It may not have anything to do with it but I don't like it when a kid changes schools multiple times in high school for unknown reasons.

I thought it was more about how well Troxell has been playing. It appears Troxell and Ashley are almost equal. I am hoping that means we have three really good tackles counting Prince so we have depth at tackle.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought it was more about how well Troxell has been playing. It appears Troxell and Ashley are almost equal. I am hoping that means we have three really good tackles counting Prince so we have depth at tackle.

I'm with you. Troxell was a big time get in his own right, and while Ashley has underperformed, I think we're a long long way away from him getting into Cowart territory. Sometimes really good guys just get beat by other really good guys. Sometimes a 4* is, in reality, better than a 5*. Certainly not time to hit the panic button on Ashley. He's only a redshirt freshman, and our past rosters are littered with guys who didn't amount to much until they were juniors or seniors. 

14 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Maybe he plays that 6th lineman position that Shon Coleman, Braden Smith, Tucker Brown and a few others have played.

I'm buying what you're selling here.

I think Cowart was a miss as far as prospects go. Good, yes but I remember those comments from his high school coach basically hinting that he did really well against poor competition when he was hyped up but had troubles with tougher competition. Cowart did turn things around though and was moving in the right direction when he left Auburn, though he certainly wasn't starter potential yet. Holland and CeCe Jefferson were better prospects in 2015 and it's shown since. I think Ashley is a known commodity, everyone knows he's actually that good. Right now I expect he's just trying to acclimate to college. I hadn't heard anything really negative about his play since he was overweight last year. I was under the assumption he was in good shape and playing well.

12 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I think Cowart was a miss as far as prospects go. Good, yes but I remember those comments from his high school coach basically hinting that he did really well against poor competition when he was hyped up but had troubles with tougher competition. Cowart did turn things around though and was moving in the right direction when he left Auburn, though he certainly wasn't starter potential yet. Holland and CeCe Jefferson were better prospects in 2015 and it's shown since. I think Ashley is a known commodity, everyone knows he's actually that good. Right now I expect he's just trying to acclimate to college. I hadn't heard anything really negative about his play since he was overweight last year. I was under the assumption he was in good shape and playing well.

Cowart was also a very emotional kid. Even his actual signing involved some minor weirdness, IIRC. (Or was that the other kid?)

Either way, I haven't heard the same rumblings about Ashley that I heard about Cowart. I don't even know if Ashley is on twitter, lol. 

And I'm not trying to dog on Cowart here. He never did anything "wrong" and to my knowledge is a good kid. Just didn't mesh with the Garner/Steele/Auburn thing. 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Troxell was a really good high school player before his injury as well.  If you remember last year, the three redshirt freshmen I said to keep an eye out for was Brahms, Troxell, and Shenker.

Definitely not in the know here, but did read somewhere that Troxell has been performing really well. Also that the move on the depth chart was benefitting both the players involved. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Cowart was also a very emotional kid. Even his actual signing involved some minor weirdness, IIRC. (Or was that the other kid?)

Either way, I haven't heard the same rumblings about Ashley that I heard about Cowart. I don't even know if Ashley is on twitter, lol. 

And I'm not trying to dog on Cowart here. He never did anything "wrong" and to my knowledge is a good kid. Just didn't mesh with the Garner/Steele/Auburn thing. 

It was the Chucky doll.  Was definitely weird. 

Image result for byron cowart chucky doll

I think its a great thing they're pushing each other and having to compete.  I think a lot of these highly praised, 5 star guys aren't used to the competition at their position.   Some have a good reaction and use it to better themselves and some just give up or don't want to put the effort into it.

4 hours ago, lca408 said:

think Ashley is a known commodity, everyone knows he's actually that good

He may have been a known commodity in high school ,but he is not a known commodity in college.

Not that people are going overboard on this thread (good job peoples), but I always cringe when people start asking if a Redshirt Freshman is a bust. He's too young to even ask that question. From what I've heard, Ashley has all the tools; he just needs to find some consistency. He has time to do that. Even if Troxell wins the job, injuries have been known to happen on the offensive line, and Tega is two years ahead of Trox/Ashley. There's plenty of time for him to develop and show his talent.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Not that people are going overboard on this thread (good job peoples), but I always cringe when people start asking if a Redshirt Freshman is a bust. He's too young to even ask that question. From what I've heard, Ashley has all the tools; he just needs to find some consistency. He has time to do that. Even if Troxell wins the job, injuries have been known to happen on the offensive line, and Tega is two years ahead of Trox/Ashley. There's plenty of time for him to develop and show his talent.

I definitely don't think he is a bust and I am happy to hear that Troxell is playing really well.  I think Iron sharpens Iron and the two will make each other better players in the long run.

6 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

I think its a great thing they're pushing each other and having to compete.  I think a lot of these highly praised, 5 star guys aren't used to the competition at their position.   Some have a good reaction and use it to better themselves and some just give up or don't want to put the effort into it.

Depth charts are a piece of paper. Maybe it is just meant to be a motivational ploy? Even a 5 star guy like Ashley could benefit from a good kick in the rear.

It’s all a diabolical plan by J.B. to make them both live up to potential!

I understand that he has time to develop, but doesn't 5 star status mean that you are projected to come in and play right away?  Serious question, not trying to get anything stirred up.

16 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I understand that he has time to develop, but doesn't 5 star status mean that you are projected to come in and play right away?  Serious question, not trying to get anything stirred up.

In some positions yes, but OL is very technical and there is also a lot to learn as far as schemes and presnap reads.

Just now, AUatHeart said:

To my understanding, recruiting rankings are an assessment of NFL potential. Which makes sense, because when a 5* gets drafted in the 1st round it makes the analysts look smart.

Not to belabor it, but Trox was the 129th player overall according to 247's rankings. That's really, really, really good. 

Health allowing... both of these guys will be starting 2 years from now with 2 to play. Both will have a ton of snaps under their belts by then no matter what and we'll be replacing PTW at LT with an experienced stud one way or another. Good problems. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ashley is well, "nice" to put it nicely. Has all the ability in the world. Man the OL. :dunno:

Do you mind eloborating.  You can PM me if needed.  I am just curious by what you mean.  

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ability of Tarzan, play like Jane. 

Basically what Coach Dye said last night on The Drive.  One thing he said that really stood out was that Ashley has to learn to maintain level of excellence even when he is tired.  As we all know football is won in the 4th quarter and you are not 100% then but can you dig down and give what you did on the first play of the game.  Also explained that he thought this was just a young kid learning and that JB would be the guy to bring the best out in him.  (That is all paraphrased).

Coach had HIGH praise for JB last night.  Described him as one of those rare coaches that can push a kid and get the best out of him without breaking him down and having the kid hate you.

Archived