Devan Barrett as WR

thaitopher

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not get this considering we just signed 4 receivers. even with two injuries. Must mean that he's really far down the RB depth chart and is pigeon holed to the dreaded speed sweep guy.

Crystal ? ball says transfer at the end of the year. 

I never saw him as a threat to be a full time rb. Situation type guy at best . Just my opinion. I hope he tears it up at wr 

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Do not get this considering we just signed 4 receivers. even with two injuries. Must mean that he's really far down the RB depth chart and is pigeon holed to the dreaded speed sweep guy.

I believe this might be true sadly.

I agree. His game action I remember showed more ability on the outside as a sweep runner. No need to be a dedicated RB to run that, and him being trained/lined up as a WR means he can go get the ball more ways than one. 

You either get to be on the field doing one thing, or on the field doing potentially multiple things. 

Plus maybe this means other RBs are showing out and made this an easy decision. :dunno:

I'm not saying this to bash Gus at all but Barrett may have seen the writing on the wall as far as playing time. I mean, if your not the first or second running back in the pecking order your simply not going to see the field much if any. This may allow him to. 

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Guess this settles it...

Looks like Gus has his arms around NCM and Willis. He knows what’s up.

If you watch enough SEC football one could understand why some RBs need to move to another position. It's nothing against the player but more about the other players in the depth chart or his ability to physically address all the requirements of the position.

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

"Dreaded sweep guy"? I feel like that position has been huge for us the last 9 years. 

Regardless, Barrett has 10 college catches, which makes him our 4th most productive returning pass catcher now that Hastings and Stove are out (huge part of the equation I'd wager).

And 3 of those 4 new guys are still in high school, so it's possible that Barrett can make (more of) a statement before they arrive.

Coming from RB, he might provide superior blocking compared to several other receivers and we know Gus and Kodi love that.

He only got 16 carries last season and we were really thin at running back then. Seems like it wasn't happening for him there. But, as several folks said about Iggy, if bodies start dropping again then it should not be too difficult for him to slide back over.

Win win from my perspective.

And if it isn't, and he does transfer, then my takeaway- as @Auctoritas alluded to- will be that we have some nice weapons who held him off.

8 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Joey Gatewood looks huge to me in that pic!!! 

He does! McLain, too. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He does! McLain, too. 

Is McLain by NCM? I swear I know like 10 of the guys in this pic. LoL. 

Anyone want to name them all? 

9 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Is McLain by NCM? I swear I know like 10 of the guys in this pic. LoL. 

Anyone want to name them all? 

From our POV, McLain appears to be in front of NCM, offcentered a bit to the right but that is him. 

I’m not really sure which one is Ryan Davis and he’s our leading receiver, so don’t feel bad. ☺️

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

From our POV, McLain appears to be in front of NCM, offcentered a bit to the right but that is him. 

I’m not really sure which one is Ryan Davis and he’s our leading receiver, so don’t feel bad. ☺️

That's who I thought he was. :)

Is Ryan Davis in front of Gatewood? 

Sweet Will Hastings and his poor leg.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Pretty sure R Davis is the one right in front of Gus with dreads.

43 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Who is the big guy next to Stid?

My guess is the backup QB, Devin Adams.  I remembered him being way bigger than the other QBs.

15 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Sweet Will Hastings and his poor leg.

And his crocs. ? Poor kid will be IDed for many more years to come.

When I first read this I wasn't really sure how it would work because I thought Barrett was really short and he would just be the sweep guy.  Hes actually listed at 6" and Ryan Davis is only 5'9".

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Guess this settles it...

That receiver in the front middle with the long blonde hair looks a lot like a woman. Hope he is not a prototype of the future for our receivers.

Archived