Devan Barrett as WR

thaitopher

8 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

JG lining up at WR may just be to get him exposure for some variations of wildcat formations, not panicking, yet...

I love me some JG and am not freaking out. 

Bring on the trick plays! 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. That caught my eye, too. 

Unless I'm missing something, we have 3 QBs on scholarship. One of them missed spring, another is a sophomore who's never started, and the third is a true freshman... catching passes? Like, even for a second?

Injuries happen and usually aren't anyone's fault, and I've been supportive of the Iggy and Devan moves, but this has me on a ledge until someone talks me off of it. 

Even worse I bet he's at TE, you know the position that we tear defenses apart with and guys catch like fifty per year. OL Gus Buster.  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

You would think that this wouldn't happen until next year but we must need some more guys to block. :dunno:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I bet Dev will be the new Stove. Sweep threat from the slot, largely unused in the pass game but good for a catch every now and then to keep defenses honest and continue to be the perimeter threat the staff sees him as. But maybe with Hastings also out he gets some more looks through the air.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I bet Dev will be the new Stove. Sweep threat from the slot, largely unused in the pass game but good for a catch every now and then to keep defenses honest and continue to be the perimeter threat the staff sees him as. But maybe with Hastings also out he gets some more looks through the air.

That's the word from Marcello.

With Stove out and Shivers and Schwartz not yet on campus, they needed someone. Iggy was the choice there for a minute and then, I'm guessing, they realized 1) that Devan was both 1a) on the outside looking in at RB and 1b) well suited for that role, and 2) Iggy needed to focus on CB. (Our resident coaches on the board expressed a preference for that, too.)

JG at WR? We have 10K WRs and only two see the ball. Might as well practice him at TE.

Btw, Devan low key might have better hands than stove. This could be a great role for him.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Gatewood taking snaps at WR what the french toast is happening

Son of a Biscuit eating bulldog!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

10-4  :thumbsup:

:-\ yeah Loof you didn't have to remind us....

(I know you didn't mean it in that way)

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Guess this settles it...

What I'm trying to figure out is who is that to the right of Malik?

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He is a 50 year old walkon. He has never been to college before so apparently he still has 4 years of eligibility left. Apparently, he has some made dancing skills as shown in the dancing video he submitted to the Auburn football program showing him getting jiggy with it.  

13 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

He is a 50 year old walkon. He has never been to college before so apparently he still has 4 years of eligibility left. Apparently, he has some made dancing skills as shown in the dancing video he submitted to the Auburn football program showing him getting jiggy with it.  

Oh ok something like this?

IMG_1110.GIF

24 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Your right or my right.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I love that commercial. LOVE it. 

(Loved your post, too, but I guess I've loved too many over the last 24 hrs...)

Lotta that goin' around

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

That receiver in the front middle with the long blonde hair looks a lot like a woman. Hope he is not a prototype of the future for our receivers.

That is not Sage Leadbetter is it?? tongue in cheek for sure!

Seems like a natural move to me....he was mostly a swing receiver out of the backfield last year so might as well put him in position to do that more frequently and maybe where everyone on defense does not see it coming. 

Is his speed fast enough to run the jet sweep like Eli Stove?  I do not see Stove on the field until October or November 2018 at the earliest. A medical RS for 2018 is likely for stove. Stove ran that sweep so well last season.

As a RB catching the ball in open filed if QB lets him catch it in stride has the ability to beat the defender and take it to the house. I remember some pro receivers that were RB's in college that became great receivers in the pro's. One that comes to mind is Charlie Taylor with the old Washington Redskins.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Is his speed fast enough to run the jet sweep like Eli Stove?  I do not see Stove on the field until October or November 2018 at the earliest. A medical RS for 2018 is likely for stove. Stove ran that sweep so well last season.

He might not be as fast as stove but he is a more complete player IMO. Honestly , I wish CCL would steal the motion guy tidbit that was a staple of Matt Canada offense. I think it would keep the defense a lot more on their toes, especially with a QB like JS, who isn’t scaring anybody with his take off ability. Devan would be great in that role because he does have history as a RB but he also has pretty dang good hands. Would be an automatic safety valve for Stidham. Just my opinion. Honestly, I am just being bias as well lol. I really like Matt’s offense and didn’t think LSU did it’s due dillegence there with it. I think it would be great at Auburn.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Stove doesn’t need a medical redshirt. He never redshirted. 

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

He might not be as fast as stove but he is a more complete player IMO. Honestly , I wish CCL would steal the motion guy tidbit that was a staple of Matt Canada offense. I think it would keep the defense a lot more on their toes, especially with a QB like JS, who isn’t scaring anybody with his take off ability. Devan would be great in that role because he does have history as a RB but he also has pretty dang good hands. Would be an automatic safety valve for Stidham. Just my opinion.

Just went back to his recruiting thread and now remember that he looked to me (and some others, I think) like a one cut, get north in a hurry guy. Those are great qualities for our flanker. He might not be a home run threat a la McCalebb/Grant, but a threat to go 15+ once a game? Probably quite a bit stronger and better balanced than McCalebb and possibly better hips and vision than Grant? And he can catch? I'm with you, man. 

I love the idea of JG at TE/big slot.  

QB: Nix

WR: Pickens

RB: Cain

TE: Gatewood

That'd be awesome

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I love the idea of JG at TE/big slot.  

QB: Nix

WR: Pickens

RB: Cain

TE: Gatewood

That'd be awesome

I would be fine with it as long as they treated him like jimmy graham and/or Greg Olsen. A staple of the offense and not just a situational type like we are accustomed to using our tight ends for.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would be fine with it as long as they treated him like jimmy graham and/or Greg Olsen. A staple of the offense and not just a situational type like we are accustomed to using our tight ends for.

If we used him like Ole Miss did Evan Ingram our O would be a nightmare to defend.

Archived