Devan Barrett as WR

thaitopher

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I just looked it up. Didn't realize what kind of season he ended up having. NFL.com projects him as a 5th rounder. Better than I would have expected. Good for him.

Funny how one's numbers improve when they only play 2 teams with a pulse in a season. Incidentally, in those two games he carried the ball 28 times for a grand total of 116 yards and caught 2 passes for 27 yards. Not wanting to belittle Roc, obviously he performed well in the combine and NFL teams are taking notice. Just adding some perspective.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep, think Roc is about the only transfer from AU who had a really good career elsewhere.   

For the most part our transfers just validate the reason they were not playing much when here.....and most of them step down a notch too.   Roc moved down....but he made it pay.....had a good career at Jax State and was very valuable to their runs at FCS championships.    As for Barrett.....would just as soon see him here when football starts.

I really wish ROC would’ve stayed at AU. He will get drafted and mark my words, he will show out at the next level. By that , I mean he will have an enduring career in the NFL.

16 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. Being in the position we were in regarding RB last season, some of the moves that were not made at that position were telling in regards to Barrett and Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if both transferred. I think Asa and Whitlow are going to make a great combo. 

I agree. Those two guys are going to thrive in this system . Asa and whitlow that is . 

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I really wish ROC would’ve stayed at AU. He will get drafted and mark my words, he will show out at the next level. By that , I mean he will have an enduring career in the NFL.

Entirely possible. People always assume that the "smaller" guys are fragile, but they often sustain fewer injuries and last longer than the bigger guys, especially when they're used more as situational players. Unless they're tiny WRs constantly going across the middle for Tom Brady and getting their eggs scrambled every few weeks...

19 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. Being in the position we were in regarding RB last season, some of the moves that were not made at that position were telling in regards to Barrett and Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if both transferred. I think Asa and Whitlow are going to make a great combo. 

Transfers aren't very common. They happen, but percentage-wise, many more simply stick it out where they are.

The new grad transfer option seems to appeal to some that have a year of eligibility left. I don't recall a single player that left AU and went on to star at some other p-5 level school. There may be one, but I don't remember it happening.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Transfers aren't very common. They happen, but percentage-wise, many more simply stick it out where they are.

The new grad transfer option seems to appeal to some that have a year of eligibility left. I don't recall a single player that left AU and went on to star at some other p-5 level school. There may be one, but I don't remember it happening.

Agreed. We'll have a defection or two this offseason, but I personally wouldn't predict multiple skill players leaving voluntarily or who it would be. 

And, fortunately for us, Barrett and Miller might have already made moves that kept them at Auburn. Barrett moved to WR (has already had success catching the ball for us, is a true SO and has 3 to play 2 after this season, why not stick it out and see what happens?) and Miller is moving back up the depth chart (tasted success early as a FR, so he knows he can do it, no other backs on the roster that make his metrics and skill set redundant).

Real people with real lives outside of football. They might have girlfriends at Auburn, they might have parents who believe strongly in seeing things through, Auburn might be their first choice academically, etc. It takes a lot to pull up roots and go somewhere new. Barrett has a HUGE smile on his face in that picture at Gus's house. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but it looks like moving to WR hasn't shattered his dreams.

20 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Can't Miller move to HB?

I think he would make a better H- back and would be a good move.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Entirely possible. People always assume that the "smaller" guys are fragile, but they often sustain fewer injuries and last longer than the bigger guys, especially when they're used more as situational players. Unless they're tiny WRs constantly going across the middle for Tom Brady and getting their eggs scrambled every few weeks...

While I agree with what you are saying, no one assumed Roc was fragile. There was a series of games one season where he left every single game with some sort of an injury. Not saying he's still fragile, but he definitely was during his time at Auburn.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I agree with what you are saying, no one assumed Roc was fragile. There was a series of games one season where he left every single game with some sort of an injury. Not saying he's still fragile, but he definitely was during his time at Auburn.

I've heard murmurs that some of those were business decisions. 

Man. 2015 sucked. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I've heard murmurs that some of those were business decisions. 

Man. 2015 sucked. 

Wow... hate to hear that. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Wow... hate to hear that. 

I should clarify that there was never a suggestion that he wasn't hurt at all. Just maybe some times when he could have gone and didn't. Sort of like Carlton Davis and the bowl game.

Thomas definitely got dinged up a lot when he was here and that OL... wasn't our best. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

and that OL... wasn't our best. 

Kudos on the diplomacy. If it weren't for 2012, that might be the understatement of the decade :)

Archived