2018 NR Walk-On C Gabe Brinson commits

WFE12

2 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Deep trouble. 

Reports from PTB and the like suggest Kim and Brahms should be back for fall camp so we should be ok. This is just precautionary.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Reports from PTB and the like suggest Kim and Brahms should be back for fall camp so we should be ok. This is just precautionary.

I would hope so,. But even still...  We open against a legit top 15 team,. and we will limp into game one..   I feel trouble is brewing.  

43 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I would hope so,. But even still...  We open against a legit top 15 team,. and we will limp into game one..   I feel trouble is brewing.  

I understand you....Though I'm worried either way if we're fully healthy on the o-line or not

kid has the size...if not a little tall for a center but with most DL being 6'5"+ leverage shouldn't be a problem. Hope he comes in ready to work and become a great story in the years to come as a walk on who made it on the field. 

4* signee Jalil Irvin is scheduled to arrive on campus late next month. He was expected to play center when he was signed. Maybe he'll be in the soup-mix before anyone thought he would be?

42 minutes ago, gravejd said:

kid has the size...if not a little tall for a center but with most DL being 6'5"+ leverage shouldn't be a problem. Hope he comes in ready to work and become a great story in the years to come as a walk on who made it on the field. 

As has been repeatedly said in the other threads, if this kid can come in with a mean streak and pickup on the O then he has a legit shot at playing time.

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

As has been repeatedly said in the other threads, if this kid can come in with a mean streak and pickup on the O then he has a legit shot at playing time.

And especially true at Center. You don't have to be a great athlete to be a really good center. This is certainly a position you can "work" your way to success at. 

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And especially true at Center. You don't have to be a great athlete to be a really good center. This is certainly a position you can "work" your way to success at. 

exactly.  In most offenses your center needs to be a very smart, mean, consistent anchor.  Best of luck to this young man!

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Preferred walk on.  Are we seriously panicking about a walk in spot?  

Yes. Yes we are. You ask as if you are new to this board. Lol

I just watch the highlights attached in the OP.  Actually the kid isn't bad.  It's shocking a player his size isn't even rated.  He's decent with his hand strike but a little lazy with his feet.  1 year with coach Grimes and I'd say this kid would be equal to a middle rated 3 star center.  Which about 95 percent of the teams in the country play with centers like that.  It's a big pick up for a preferred walk on spot in my opinion. 

Well he is from Virginia so he should have the smarts to call the assignments, if Grimes will slap him around a little bit and make him mean as a junk yard 

dog we may have a prize here. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I just watch the highlights attached in the OP.  Actually the kid isn't bad.  It's shocking a player his size isn't even rated.  He's decent with his hand strike but a little lazy with his feet.  1 year with coach Grimes and I'd say this kid would be equal to a middle rated 3 star center.  Which about 95 percent of the teams in the country play with centers like that.  It's a big pick up for a preferred walk on spot in my opinion. 

I watched the highlights as well, and he does keep blocking until play is over (sometimes a little after). The only time I saw him go backwards was when he was bull-rushed. I also saw several pancakes; and he was the # 1 Center in Virginia, so definitely worth a preferred walk-on spot.

Here’s to hoping he’s a gem. Like mentioned before, Irvin will be here too. I’m just as worried about tackles. 

We certainly need at least 2 OTs that can play at an upper SEC level in a couple years to commit this year.  Probably need 4 just for depth but 2 really good ones just to tread water

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Here’s to hoping he’s a gem. Like mentioned before, Irvin will be here too. I’m just as worried about tackles. 

Why? Recently there's been rave reviews about Tega and Troxell too.

5 hours ago, Roos said:

Well he is from Virginia so he should have the smarts to call the assignments, if Grimes will slap him around a little bit and make him mean as a junk yard 

dog we may have a prize here. 

Why? Are Virginia people inherently smarter than the rest of us? :)

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Why? Recently there's been rave reviews about Tega and Troxell too.

We hear Tega is stepping up. Hear it, not seeing it. He was not exactly killing it last year. For someone so new to football and changing positions on top of it all he is actually overachieving. But as far as a dominant LT I’m not convinced yet. The other two are total UNKNOWNS. We hope they are pushing each other instead of one dragging the other backwards. Behind those three I can’t name another one. It might be a dominant line and producer of several first round picks. But the unknown scares me. 

Archived