Null



SCTiger2011

Heron declares for NBA draft, hires agent

Recommended Posts

Quote

Auburn wing Mustapha Heron will declare for the NBA Draft and sign with an agent, he told 247Sports.

“The plan is to just go in with the intent to hire an agent and hopefully get invited to Chicago and hopefully play my way in that way,” Heron said early Wednesday morning.

...

“Over the last two years, the first season didn’t go as planned, but we came back and were better this past season,” Heron said. “It didn’t end the way I wanted it too, but I grew as a player and defensively I made a lot of changes this year. Just being more lock in defensively and taking more pride in my defense.”

“I think I have a skillset and an all-around skillset you can put anywhere on the floor and I don’t disrupt anything,” he added. “I have an attacking mentality. I’m a two-way player and a guard that rebounds.”

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Auburn-star-Mustapha-Heron-to-go-pro-sign-with-an-agent-117005501

 

 

Also reported by Jon Rothstein on Twitter.  Well, this sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Lemme go delete my topic. 

Questionable move on his part. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd move, to me. Unless he shows out at combine, he won’t get drafted. Wish him the best, but man, that’s an odd move.... thanks for a great two seasons though Staph! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's ummm bizarre.  Good luck to him.  I didn't see that coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smh...I wonder what his projection will be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he isnt projected in the draft right?  if he hires an agent and in light of some of the commentary about him having a sit-down with CBP after last season, then this seems like a situation where he is more leaving college than he is going to the nba ... if that makes sense.  maybe he's just a bball junkie and just wants to do that full time and doesnt really want to live a college life right now.

regardless, i wish him all the best, but i love auburn first ... and wish he'd stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Smh...I wonder what his projection will be?

I wonder as well. The way many teams draft in the NBA is perplexing to me. Upside and potential are words used way too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I am wrong about this, but this could end up being "Welcome to Kazakhstan".  

He could have been a potential lotto pick after another successful season.  

Best of luck, Staph.  You will be missed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know Adam Silver was talking about letting players go through the process but still let them return to college to play if they so choose...Idk if that's been implemented yet but that would be nice.

Edited by WFE12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised at the move. Just hoping he would stay. I think Heron could be a solid bench player in the NBA for several years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck Heron. You made quite the statement by coming to play for AU and i appreciate you doing that. This was Pearls first huge recruit to get that wasn't associated with AU in some way like Wiley. Getting Heron put a whole new perspective on AU basketball. 

The kid came to AU and said from the get go that he expected to be here a max of 2 years and that is what he did. There are a lot of options out there on playing basketball and getting paid. He likely won't be drafted but could get in on the G-league or go over seas to play. There is nothing wrong with him trying that as a way to make it to the NBA. 

Edited by gravejd
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G-league I imagine. Cannot see him making a roster to start off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Mustapha for being the first 5* in AU history. Thank you for wanting to lay a foundation for AU hoops moving forward. Thank you for being a huge part of our first championship since I was in middle school.

Even if he doesn't get drafted, he is a bright kid and has probably looked at his options. His quotes make it seem like he knows he's an outsider right now as he's saying "hopefully I play my way in". He likely knows if his chances to get drafted aren't the best but he also probably knows he has paid options available to him to work on his game and get on the NBA's radar. The kid clearly didn't like school, he apparently loves Auburn but just not a fan of school. I can see why he's doing this and it's apparent he's ready to get paid. Best of luck to him, but yes as a selfish fan I wish he gave us one more year.

Good thing is, Danjel now has an opportunity to show us he is going to be the player we hoped he'd be when he signed. I am very excited and hopeful to see his growth from his freshman season because I think the leap he makes will be just as big as the other young players' progression we saw this past year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Best of luck Heron. You made quite the statement by coming to play for AU and i appreciate you doing that. This was Pearls first huge recruit to get that wasn't associated with AU in some way like Wiley. Getting Heron put a whole new perspective on AU basketball. 

The kid came to AU and said from the get go that he expected to be here a max of 2 years and that is what he did. There are a lot of options out there on playing basketball and getting paid. He likely won't be drafted but could get in on the G-league or go over seas to play. There is nothing wrong with him trying that as a way to make it to the NBA. 

Of course there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s this young man’s decision what to do. The problem is that this is not the most beneficial thing he could have done for himself. With a strong season next year, and some work on his shot and defense, he could have actually been drafted. This is why it is an odd decision.  Not because “oh he’s leaving auburn and why would anyone leave auburn?” He has stated it is his dream to play in the NBA and with another year in college, he could have done so, but now, those chances are likely diminished 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Thank you Mustapha for being the first 5* in AU history. Thank you for wanting to lay a foundation for AU hoops moving forward. Thank you for being a huge part of our first championship since I was in middle school.

Even if he doesn't get drafted, he is a bright kid and has probably looked at his options. His quotes make it seem like he knows he's an outsider right now as he's saying "hopefully I play my way in". He likely knows if his chances to get drafted aren't the best but he also probably knows he has paid options available to him to work on his game and get on the NBA's radar. The kid clearly didn't like school, he apparently loves Auburn but just not a fan of school. I can see why he's doing this and it's apparent he's ready to get paid. Best of luck to him, but yes as a selfish fan I wish he gave us one more year.

Good thing is, Danjel now has an opportunity to show us he is going to be the player we hoped he'd be when he signed. I am very excited and hopeful to see his growth from his freshman season because I think the leap he makes will be just as big as the other young players' progression we saw this past year.

 Newsflash: no college kid likes the school part of school. It’s hard and demanding. Just because Staph doesn’t like school like everyone else doesn’t mean he should get a pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Of course there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s this young man’s decision what to do. The problem is that this is not the most beneficial thing he could have done for himself. With a strong season next year, and some work on his shot and defense, he could have actually been drafted. This is why it is an odd decision.  Not because “oh he’s leaving auburn and why would anyone leave auburn?” He has stated it is his dream to play in the NBA and with another year in college, he could have done so, but now, those chances are likely diminished 

You don't know that....he could have stayed next year and been in the same boat at the end of the season. Or got hurt and been in a worse position.....or who knows what. I get you don't agree with the decision and thats fine but to say it is a bad or good one is just a wild ass guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

 Newsflash: no college kid likes the school part of school. It’s hard and demanding. Just because Staph doesn’t like school like everyone else doesn’t mean he should get a pass

He can do what he wants, though. He gave us 2 years. He never had any intention to stay long at AU in an era where the longer you're in school the lower your percieved upside is -- the unfortunate reality. He also can play for free while working on his game or get paid while working on his game. The free option gives you more visibility but scouts will find you if you can play, regardless. 

Marquis Daniels, our best basketball alum in decades (most successful NBA career in modern era), played 4 years and went undrafted. Staying longer doesn't guarantee he improves his draft stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was mad at first and was going to post something negative about his decision, but then I realized without him Auburn basketball probably wouldn't be relevant enough for me to care or even visit this section of the site.  Thanks for the SEC Champ and good luck Mustapha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now