Heron declares for NBA draft, hires agent

SCTiger2011

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

I was mad at first and was going to post something negative about his decision, but then I realized without him Auburn basketball probably wouldn't be relevant enough for me to care or even visit this section of the site.  Thanks for the SEC Champ and good luck Mustapha!

EXACTLY.

We should be happy we are actually in a position that we have to worry about these types of things now. War damn Bruce!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

https://twitter.com/Kingheron5/status/981561722191441921

Maybe this leaves some room to come back? If his evals are not what he had thought they'd be and he hasn't hired an agent at that time? Lol I know I'm being naive

Sooo does that mean he is going to finish the semester, just in case he gets negative review and has to come back to Auburn? What happens academically if he high tails it now.

Prospects for next season are taking a hit.   Not sure I understand this decision but it is his....and I guess it could be argued that another year at AU will not make him a better prospect so might as well check it out....but it's a life decision and no going back.   

Hope he does well....gonna miss what he could have done for AU next season. 

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Sooo does that mean he is going to finish the semester, just in case he gets negative review and has to come back to Auburn? What happens academically if he high tails it now.

Ah I did not think of that part of it. That will be the true tell

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He can do what he wants, though. He gave us 2 years. He never had any intention to stay long at AU in an era where the longer you're in school the lower your percieved upside is -- the unfortunate reality. He also can play for free while working on his game or get paid while working on his game. The free option gives you more visibility but scouts will find you if you can play, regardless. 

Marquis Daniels, our best basketball alum in decades (most successful NBA career in modern era), played 4 years and went undrafted. Staying longer doesn't guarantee he improves his draft stock.

Staying four years might not improve him as a prospect but it should improve his game however...which might also improve his odds of making it.  

AU did not finish the season as a happy team....he apparently almost left last year......Mitchell leaving which is hard to understand......just wondering :dunno:   

This happens at all "good programs."  It's going to take some getting used to, and personally I'm not a fan of the process.  I wish the NBA would adopt a policy similar to baseball; either leave after high school or stay through junior/RS sophomore year in college.  Regardless, I totally understand Mu's decision.  After this though, I definitely fully expect Wiley to go too.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Staying four years might not improve him as a prospect but it should improve his game however...which might also improve his odds of making it.  

AU did not finish the season as a happy team....he apparently almost left last year......Mitchell leaving which is hard to understand......just wondering :dunno:   

Right but there are other ways for him to improve his game while being paid at the same time. I'd much rather he stay at AU and improve his game here but I do think Mitchell's transfer hurts us more as we are dangerously thin at the most important position now. Danjel will step right on into the 3 spot once his suspension is fulfilled. But back to Heron, nobody is right and nobody is wrong about this. Time will tell, but he has options and chose this particular option and he will make some money in the process.

But I really don't like that Dunbar has to play big minutes at the 3 for us in Maui now

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Right but there are other ways for him to improve his game while being paid at the same time. I'd much rather he stay at AU and improve his game here but I do think Mitchell's transfer hurts us more as we are dangerously thin at the most important position now. Danjel will step right on into the 3 spot once his suspension is fulfilled. But back to Heron, nobody is right and nobody is wrong about this. Time will tell, but he has options and chose this particular option and he will make some money in the process.

But I really don't like that Dunbar has to play big minutes at the 3 for us in Maui now

Very good point.

I hope I’m wrong but my guess is he never makes an nba roster. Europe yes he can do well and have a decent career. College is not for everyone. I will be rooting for him. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

JMO .......also, I don't see DP as an even trade for Heron ...just hope DP is a better more team oriented player than when we saw him last. 

I think a lot of us thought he would test the waters, but once he signs with an agent his Auburn career is over.  That is the only aggravation for me on this.  I suppose he feels he NEEDS the agent to have the best hope of landing somewhere, especially if he realizes he is on the outside looking in.

Oh and thank you Mu for the years you gave us.  He helped us stay afloat long enough for the SEC champ this year.  He kept digging when we had guys slumping.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO .......also, I don't see DP as an even trade for Heron ...just hope DP is a better more team oriented player than when we saw him last. 

This seems to be a popular opinion. Every player Danjel played with that is still on the roster was a significantly worse version of themselves than we saw this past year. I'm confident Danjel will also be an upgraded version of what we last saw. He was learning on the fly while injured, and I agree with you it was not pretty down the stretch. He likely will have to fight through some rust early on but he's going to be a big weapon for us next year IMO just like he was early on in his freshman season pre-injury. JMO of course but how many people were convinced Jared Harper wasn't our PG of the future after his freshman year? He looked awful at times and I think Danjel is capable of taking as big of a leap as Harper, Mac, Brown, Spencer, etc and those guys all played selfishly in 2017 as well and played much better team ball this year. 

There's only one way to find out! Is it basketball season yet?

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think a lot of us thought he would test the waters, but once he signs with an agent his Auburn career is over.  That is the only aggravation for me on this.  I suppose he feels he NEEDS the agent to have the best hope of landing somewhere, especially if he realizes he is on the outside looking in.

And in the meantime it looks like Colin Sexton may not hire an agent to leave the door open for his return. Not the news I was hoping for. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

And in the meantime it looks like Colin Sexton may not hire an agent to leave the door open for his return. Not the news I was hoping for. 

WHAT

He is an outstanding college player (at times), but is not ready for the NBA. Believe he will wind up regretting this decision.

Absolute best of luck to this man.  War Eagle!

Ona side bar, we need to get used to this if we have intentions of becoming a full time blue blood, like we are coming to expect with Pearl at the helm.  Only helps with recruiting the top guys if we actually show success in getting guys to the draft.  

1) Mustapha, you will be missed.

2) I still love our starting five next year (after Purifoy's suspension ends).  This five can do some serious damage, and there's talent on the bench too.

PG: Harper

SG: Bryce

SF: Purifoy

PF: Mack

C: Wiley

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

was Absolute best of luck to this man.  War Eagle!

Ona side bar, we need to get used to this if we have intentions of becoming a full time blue blood, like we are coming to expect with Pearl at the helm.  Only helps with recruiting the top guys if we actually show success in getting guys to the draft.  

Losing quys for playing time reasons...or as long shot hopes to the NBA says nothing about the development of the program in my view.   These are not NBA draft level players. 

For the quality of players we are attracting...even with BP,.... they need to be here at least until they finish their junior year if we are going to be a consistent factor. Just turning over the line-up is not healthy.     Watching the improvement of Harper and Brown from one year to the next was great to see.....and next year they should be better still. ...but depth is gonna be an issue again.

Maybe he will go play in one of the middle eastern leagues, Mustapha does mean "The Chosen One."

Heron has a great game, but he is very hit or miss when finishing on his drives to the basket. That is really the only negative I saw at his position. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

He’s holding out to see what the REC offer is.  

Archived