Manziel didn't know X's & O's

Randman5000

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/4/17200788/johnny-manziel-didnt-know-xs-os-texas-a-m

please post at least a portion of article and not just the link.

Johnny Manziel says he ‘didn’t really know the X’s and O’s’ coming out of Texas A&M

1 comment

Seems kind of important.

Former Texas A&M and Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel is attempting to make a comeback in the NFL. A couple months after revealing that he is now sober and wants a chance to get back in the league, his series of interviews and appearances have continued, On Wednesday, Manziel appeared on The Dan Patrick Show, where he was asked what he would do if he was given a mulligan, where he revealed his lack of preparation from a the standpoint of running an offense:

“If you would have given me a mulligan, the mulligan would have come right after I got drafted” Manziel said. “I see a successful guy in the NFL in what they do in the offseason, and the time that they put in that makes them good players. yes, they’re athletically gifted but guys are good in the NFL because they know film, they study hard, and they work even harder in the offseason. I didn’t know that If Cleveland did any of their homework, they would have known that I was a guy that didn’t come in every day and watch film. I was a guy that didn’t really know the X’s and O’s of football.”

“I played in a spread offense,” Manziel continued. “We looked at bubbles, we looked at flats, we had progression reads across the field — it wasn’t like it was a super intricate pro system. So when I get to Cleveland, we have a quarterback in the room that’s not helping me, and its not really his job to but nobody was there, like helping me go over the X’s and O’s, and it was hard. I struggled.”

Sounds a lot like Cam in that Gruden interview regarding his college offense, but obviously Cam put in the work once he got to the league and, I guess, got more help from his organization. 

That could be said for all of the Qbs coming from spread type offenses. I think as an induvial you have to want to perfect your craft (I’m sure there are a lot of qb coaches that would help).Its also kind of hard to believe someone with his shortcomings to the fact of noone wanted to help him.

1 hour ago, Southwest said:

That could be said for all of the Qbs coming from spread type offenses. I think as an induvial you have to want to perfect your craft (I’m sure there are a lot of qb coaches that would help).Its also kind of hard to believe someone with his shortcomings to the fact of noone wanted to help him.

More dog eat dog in the NFL and expect new guys get little or no help from the veterans.....after all, they are fighting for just a handful of jobs...and would not surprise me to see older players throwing roadblocks in the way of rookies.  

JM is much to blame but the Browns had a big investment in him and should probably have done more to make sure he was getting it.    Seems I recall the HC was not in favor of drafting JM so maybe he felt no need to make sure the guy would succeed. ....but then again....it was the Browns, the most dysfunctional team in the league

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds a lot like Cam in that Gruden interview regarding his college offense, but obviously Cam put in the work once he got to the league and, I guess, got more help from his organization. 

I think that's the #1 reason that we don't run the same offense we did when Cam was here. That interview with Gruden labeled Auburn as a place QBs don't want to go to be prepared for the NFL. Ever since then, it's felt like Gus has been trying to do more NFL type things with the QB position (which is also why I think he targets pass first QBs in recruiting), but it's not his comfort zone.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

....but then again....it was the Browns, the most dysfunctional team in the league

Dysfunctional team meets dysfunctional rookie QB, what could go wrong?:dunno:

This is what happens when the ringing endorsement regarding drafting a guy comes from a homeless man telling the owner to draft a particular kid lol

On 4/5/2018 at 7:21 AM, McLoofus said:

It took Cam a few year before he realized he wasn't going to succeed on talent alone.  The film room in particular was rumored to be a big Achilles heel for him that he avoided his first four years.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, lionheartkc said:

...it's felt like Gus has been trying to do more NFL type things with the QB position (which is also why I think he targets pass first QBs in recruiting), but it's not his comfort zone.

Every QB since Cam has been a dual guy. The only one he chose to actully use in the run game was Marshall. The reality for Gus, and what stopped the quarterbacks from running, is that he really hasn’t ever even had a true QB1, much less a backup. When the first guy couldn’t go (Jeremy Johnson) or got hurt (Sean White) Gus knew he had nothing  developed and ready to step in. If the offense has changed it’s simply more of the same (run), while trying to keep the best bad option at QB from getting hurt. The Auburn offense only resembles an NFL offense when Kerryon was doing his best L’eveon. 

Johnny Football is a sandlot player.  You don’t have to know the X’s and O’s when you are just making up crap on the fly.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is why good QB candidates get a private QB coach immediately after getting an agent and start working on the aspects of the game they need to suceed in the combine and in camp once they are signed. Manziel certainly could have afforded that.

On 4/22/2018 at 7:20 AM, weagl1 said:

Johnny Football is a sandlot player.  You don’t have to know the X’s and O’s when you are just making up crap on the fly.  

This is exactly the truth, and aTm had some outstanding receivers who could get open and make plays.

It was the sandlot/busted play capability of Manziel and his receiver which made aTm so successful with him. Once the play breaks down, it is all about the ability to make a play.

16 minutes ago, meh130 said:

This is exactly the truth, and aTm had some outstanding receivers who could get open and make plays.

It was the sandlot/busted play capability of Manziel and his receiver which made aTm so successful with him. Once the play breaks down, it is all about the ability to make a play.

And that's how we beat him, because we had guys who could run him down when he went into sandlot mode. Our average linebackers looked like stars against him, because all they had to know was "get Manziel".

Mike Evans bailed Johnny out quite a bit with his wild catches. That's not to say JFF wasn't a force, he was electric. But you can't play like that in the NFL. The players are just too good at every position.

Archived