DLine- Just how good can they be?

McLoofus

Fun article from College and Magnolia. I know @WFE12 will enjoy reading it. Just going to share a couple appetizers.

This is TD Moultry against an SEC left tackle. As a true freshman. 

From the article:

One of the biggest question marks heading into the 2017 season was how the heck Auburn was going to replace the big time production of Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams. Throw in also having to replace important rotational pieces Devaroe Lawrence and Maurice Swain and it was clear Auburn’s DL might take a bit of a step back in 2017.

Wrong.

Auburn actually got better up front which is a credit both to Rodney Garner’s ability to recruit and develop top talent. Jeff Holland emerged as Auburn’s new pass rushing star while Derrick Brown took over Adams’s role as the dominant interior presence. Dontavius Russell did Dontavius Russell things while Andrew Williams emerged as a quality #3 DT. Nick Coe lived up to the hype as a do it all man up front and Marlon Davidson battled through injuries to put together a solid sophomore campaign.

Everybody but Sensei Mud return in 2018. This is going to be fun.

RareFormalEsok-mobile.mp4

They are getting a lot of pub from the media. Putting us up there with the Clemson and Bama’s of the world. Shout out to CRG. We are going to severely need them this year.

I actually believe they can be better than last year’s, and they were dominant then. The talent is stellar and the depth is very solid. And that is with losing Franklin and Cowart. RG is earning his money and then some. I know everyone is sweating our questions on the O-Line, and we need to get better there. But our D-Line is going to be hard to score on a lot, and that will take a lot of pressure off of our offense early. 

I've said for a while what we're missing is that Groves/McGlover type of speed rusher that can create pressure by themselves.  I think that TD and Big Cat can be those type of players.  

OMG I can't take it!!!! @McLoofus thank you my friend! That article got me giddy all over again. Everything was spot on. Big Kat had 4 sacks in the second scrimmage?! I fully expect Brown to focus on the little things more like he said and produce a season that makes him a first round pick. Marlon will hopefully get past his injury bug and do the same. We got an sec starter caliber DE in Coe as a backup...I can't stress enough how big that is. I'm not worried at all about replacing Jeff because what we've heard and will likely see Saturday of Big Kat and TD and then possibly having Coe at buck???? I was definitely ecstatic when Russell came back because I knew we had a chance to be even better next season.I had'nt forgotten about Andrew and the others either. Newcomers Newkirk and Miller will make instant impacts and will absolve any worries of a dropoff in the future when our stars leave. I'm especially interested in Miller because he comes from that mold that Garner loves. This line will be filthy. I can write a whole essay about these guys. I will stop now.

IMG_1113.GIF

I can't wait to watch our DL next year. So many beasts in the rotation, we've come such a long way from the Chizik era. Props to Steele and props to Gus.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I can't wait to watch our DL next year. So many beasts in the rotation, we've come such a long way from the Chizik era. Props to Steele and props to Gus.

And most of all props to Rodney!

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

And most of all props to Rodney!

How did I forget Coach G???? :slapfh::slapfh::slapfh::slapfh:

On 4/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, bigbird said:

Somewhere @AUIH1 just threw up.

Just prove it on the field.  I would comment further but some since I am returning from a ban from an overly sensitive mod on this site, I am trying to be PC.

wde  

19 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The word "alpha" gets thrown around a lot these days. I suppose it can be sort of a vague concept, but this guy is alpha af and I truly hope that our young guys soak as much of it up as possible through osmosis or whatever this season. He's mentally constructed to succeed in the NFL and, like Lawson, is going to be a gift that keeps on giving after he's gone. I won't be surprised by our next 5* signing at DE as long as Garner is here. 

Our DL has sure come a long way. It took coach G a minute to get em started, but once he did... There were doubters in him. I was one of them early on. My oh my how wrong we were. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The word "alpha" gets thrown around a lot these days. I suppose it can be sort of a vague concept, but this guy is alpha af and I truly hope that our young guys soak as much of it up as possible through osmosis or whatever this season. He's mentally constructed to succeed in the NFL and, like Lawson, is going to be a gift that keeps on giving after he's gone. I won't be surprised by our next 5* signing at DE as long as Garner is here. 

I remember when they got here and I was thinking what would it be like after Monty and Carl left.....Now I wonder how it will be like when he and Derrick leave. They grew up fast and are great leaders. Marlon has been my favorite player since he got here and showed that he will NOT quit on any play. People have been talking about Coe and Derrick and others but you can't forget Marlon "Big Fish" Davidson.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Now I wonder how it will be like when he and Derrick leave.

Just got to reload. Like Steele said if you wait until they are gone to think about replacing  them you have waited to long.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Just got to reload. Like Steele said if you wait until they are gone to think about replacing  them you have waited to long.

Exactly...no doubt we will reload on talent I just wonder will they have the same attitude. 

13 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Exactly...no doubt we will reload on talent I just wonder will they have the same attitude. 

"You're the Markaviest Bryant there ever was. Where do you go from here?"

"Now that the world knows how Markavy I am, it's time to change my name to Big Kat."

I believe the children are our future, WFE.

After A-Day, my new nickname for the d-line is “ The Men of Steele”!

Archived