Gus's final update before A-day

WFE12

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Am I the only one who is nervous about playing in the/post rain? 

Nope. I hope they postpone it and set it for another day.

Seems I sense almost a total lack of interest in the upcoming A-Day game....no talk about 50,000 plus people nor anything else for that matter.  Am I missing something? 

Maybe because Stidham is unlikely to play (hope that's the case) and the injures on the OL, there are no major mysteries to be resolved.   JMO but the running back situation will not be decided and not sure any other critical decisions will be made.   A good chance for Willis to have some fun unless the blow the whistle every time he breaks free for what could be a long TD run. 

Expect I will keep an eye on the baseball and softball .....and the Masters and look for highlights of the football.   Likely someone will do a PBP for us 

Just now, AU64 said:

Seems I sense almost a total lack of interest in the upcoming A-Day game....no talk about 50,000 plus people nor anything else for that matter.  Am I missing something? 

Maybe because Stidham is unlikely to play (hope that's the case) and the injures on the OL, there are no major mysteries to be resolved.   JMO but the running back situation will not be decided and not sure any other critical decisions will be made.   A good chance for Willis to have some fun unless the blow the whistle every time he breaks free for what could be a long TD run. 

Expect I will keep an eye on the baseball and softball .....and the Masters and look for highlights of the football.   Likely someone will do a PBP for us 

I think it’s because we finally have no real drama . No HC crap, no new coaches , no intense QB battle, etc. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think it’s because we finally have no real drama . No HC crap, no new coaches , no intense QB battle, etc. 

Sounds reasonable....and I'm ok without a lot of drama....just hoping nobody else get's hurt.   

Is there a numerical roster out for the game??? If so, where can you get it....

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It wouldn't be hard to get excited about it if they let them actually play a game but it's too scripted for me I guess. No live QBs, kicking game, etc. I understand not wanting to risk injury. I just won't drive 4 hours to see a practice with limited contact. Can't wait for the season though. August can't get here soon enough. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

It wouldn't be hard to get excited about it if they let them actually play a game but it's too scripted for me I guess. No live QBs, kicking game, etc. I understand not wanting to risk injury. I just won't drive 4 hours to see a practice with limited contact. Can't wait for the season though. August can't get here soon enough. 

The days of a real contested football game are long gone....even when there is a theoretical QB battle, no coach wants one of his key players to be injured in a meaningless exercise.  

For those who attend I guess it's mostly about a good day to be on the campus and maybe to let the kids get some autographs or pictures with the players...and it won't cost $500+ bucks for parking, tickets and food either. 

who will televise the game?

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Definitely. We don't have any brand-new 5* phenoms at RB or anything, either.

I also think maybe we've been conditioned to not expect to learn anything from it no matter what. This is not a criticism of Gus; it was also true in the 2010 spring game, for example. And A Day should be about working on things and keeping guys healthy. But there is no less effective predictor of success than what transpires at A Day. If you compare and contrast the guys who have performed well and won accolades at that game vs. the guys who have produced that upcoming season... well, it's almost all contrasting and not much comparing. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I also think maybe we've been conditioned to not expect to learn anything from it no matter what. This is not a criticism of Gus; it was also true in the 2010 spring game, for example. And A Day should be about working on things and keeping guys healthy. But there is no less effective predictor of success than what transpires at A Day. If you compare and contrast the guys who have performed well and won accolades at that game vs. the guys who have produced that upcoming season... well, it's almost all contrasting and not much comparing. 

This.  If you want to see who is not playing this year then look no further than the stars from this game outside of the QB position.  I am sure it is not as many as it seems but it just seems like any player on Offense or Defense that wins MVP will not be playing during the season. 

Defensive MVP: Paul James III, Buck defensive end
Most surprising: Nate Craig-Myers, wide receiver
Offensive MVP: WR Quindarius Carr

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm good without losing a key player on a fluke injury but even more so, I  am good with the walk-ons getting a chance to play in front of a crowd ....kind of a reward for being tackling dummies and punching bags all spring.   

Even the walk-on kids were probably very good HS players and I give them lots of credit for sticking it out for a year or two or even more.....just because they love football....and not because they are getting scholarship money.....or something under the table either...... War Eagle guys....

11 hours ago, DAG said:

It may also have something to do with the fact that they've been unusually quiet during Spring practice. No more daily coach and player interviews, just the occasional update. They aren't marketing the game like they have in the past.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm good without losing a key player on a fluke injury but even more so, I  am good with the walk-ons getting a chance to play in front of a crowd ....kind of a reward for being tackling dummies and punching bags all spring.   

Even the walk-on kids were probably very good HS players and I give them lots of credit for sticking it out for a year or two or even more.....just because they love football....and not because they are getting scholarship money.....or something under the table either...... War Eagle guys....

Also provides a sort'a depth gauge, info from which could conceivably be useful some day.

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sounds reasonable....and I'm ok without a lot of drama....just hoping nobody else get's hurt.   

We're playing flag football did you not hear.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We're playing flag football did you not hear.

yep.... 7 on 7 so they can get JS a little time to play.....

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

What is the advantage of 7 on 7? I truly have no idea.

From what I read about the events which are a big deal nationwide, it's a show for quarterbacks and receivers....and no hitting....good chance for JS and receivers to work on timing, route running, etc and little chance of anyone getting injured.   This sort of explains it..

http://thesouthern.com/on--football-what-s-it-all-about/article_dcc348ac-f0f9-11e2-8360-001a4bcf887a.html

https://pt.primetimesportz.com/football/football-faq.html

It also gets the crowd a look at JS when they wouldn’t have if just a scrimmage!

Spring games are rapidly becoming useless. Bad weather, late start, everyone afraid of getting hurt, nothing is really accomplished.

Like bowl practice being hyped as something good for next season and the younger guys. Auburn totally missed that coach speak.

Hope there is a good turnout but 45,000 or more would be surprising. Of course 60K may show up to watch field goals.

Archived