Jared Harper to enter name in NBA draft

AU Is Gold

I would be most surprised if Jared leaves. I support him putting his name in the draft and this is not a surprise. In fact, I'd encourage every player to put his name in the draft every year (if they have unlimited submissions) and get real feedback from the NBA guys.

The key here is he's not going to hire an agent.

There will be 100s of kids putting their name in the draft this is how the NBA process works you have to put your name in the draft to get NBA scouting feedback, it's not like football where you get the scouting report/draft grade as a tool to see if you should put your name in the draft.

Why not put your name out there?   With the NBA camps that these underclassmen are allowed to attend, not only do they give you an idea if and where you would be drafted, they give you feedback on what you need to work on to improve your draft status.   I think Harper will be told to put on some muscle and weight to be able to withstand the NBA grind and long season.  His abilities are not that far away from being NBA ready.   He'll be back!!  

Best advice he can get it to put on about 3 inches....only 3 guys in the league under 6'-0 right now....

The joys of having talented players is they test the waters. Anybody on our team that puts their name in the draft is good for us, it’s a recruiting tool.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Best advice he can get it to put on about 3 inches....only 3 guys in the league under 6'-0 right now....

I agree, but that may be out of his control. 

I agree it is good to have players good enough to try out at the NBA combine. Harper will do pretty well because of his speed but his height and slight frame will work against him. The NBA types will tell him he will not be drafted but that he might have an outside change to go to the G-league and eventually make a team. That means he would be better off returning to Auburn. He has gotten great coaching at Auburn. Every Auburn player has improved year to year under Coach Pearl. Spencer has gotten better, Harper was much better second year than first year. McLemore made giant strides, Herron improved but because of the improvement of other players it was not as obvious, and Bryce Brown has improved dramatically.  

Having Herron, Harper, Wiley and Purifoy at the combine should help our long term recruiting. Herron says he will sign with an Agent and plans to leave so wish him well. I expect Harper and Purifoy to return and I am hoping Wiley also returns. 

18 hours ago, around4ever said:

I agree, but that may be out of his control. 

Yep. Mugsy and Spud did ok in the league for years. Jared definitely has NBA range on his 3pt shooting. I hope he comes back. He had a great year. He needs to see where he is at.

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Yep. Mugsy and Spud did ok in the league for years. Jared definitely has NBA range on his 3pt shooting. I hope he comes back. He had a great year. He needs to see where he is at.

Muggsy and Spud did very well but certainly are the exceptions to the rule by a long shot. Harper does have excellent range and that could be the difference eventually. I’ll still be shocked if he isn’t in O & B next year. 

If he hadn’t sputtered the last 6-8 games I’d worry. As long as he doesn’t get in trouble with an agent he’ll certainly be back. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jared doesnt even have an offense outside of pulling up for 3s 

I really hope he isnt doing this 

He is pretty good at finishing near the rim for a little guy. He can draw a lot of fouls and is an 80% FT shooter. He could show more in the mid range before he could really get teams excited to pick him. I think the Eval could tell him that. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

He is pretty good at finishing near the rim for a little guy. He can draw a lot of fouls and is an 80% FT shooter. He could show more in the mid range before he could really get teams excited to pick him. I think the Eval could tell him that. 

A long way to go...shot 36% from the field and 35% from 3 point....those are not NBA numbers.  Hope he has fun, gets some good tips but I expect to see him back on the plains working on his shooting over the summer.   He's making good progress and should have a better year next season.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:37 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jared doesnt even have an offense outside of pulling up for 3s 

I really hope he isnt doing this 

AUBwins already pointed out how he gets to the rim and draws fouls and thus goes to the free throw line.   He finished the season averaging double digit points at 13.2 and he finished the season with 185 assists.      As a point guard scoring isn't his number 1 responsibility yet he still averaged double digits.    It's distributing the basketball to teammates and setting them up to score.    He was one of the best in the league (and probably the country) at doing that.   no offense?  :bs:

11 hours ago, WarTiger said:

AUBwins already pointed out how he gets to the rim and draws fouls and thus goes to the free throw line.   He finished the season averaging double digit points at 13.2 and he finished the season with 185 assists.      As a point guard scoring isn't his number 1 responsibility yet he still averaged double digits.    It's distributing the basketball to teammates and setting them up to score.    He was one of the best in the league (and probably the country) at doing that.   no offense?  :bs:

I appreciate how far JH has come this year but he's got a long way to go  for serious NBA consideration     True he is one of the best in the SEC among guards but not a lot of good guards in the SEC this season and.nationally is barely in the top 50 for assists/game and assist/turnover ratio.  His shooting percentage is way down the list..   Hope he views this NBA evaluation as an educational opportunity...giving him some things to work on next season.  

12 hours ago, WarTiger said:

And he would get destroyed playing against the NBA guards and rim protectors. He has to develop a mid-range game where he can pull up when the lane is clogged.  I like Harper, but to think his game translates to the NBA means its being looked at through thick orange and blue coke bottles.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

And he would get destroyed playing against the NBA guards and rim protectors. He has to develop a mid-range game where he can pull up when the lane is clogged.  I like Harper, but to think his game translates to the NBA means its being looked at through thick orange and blue coke bottles.

I never once in any of my post mentioned the nba. NOT ONCE.  I was merely pointing out to someone that has clearly not watched much of Auburn basketball recently that Harper has way more on the offensive end than pulling up for 3's.    For the record,  Jared Harper will never play in the nba, IMO.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:59 PM, WarTiger said:

I never once in any of my post mentioned the nba. NOT ONCE.  I was merely pointing out to someone that has clearly not watched much of Auburn basketball recently that Harper has way more on the offensive end than pulling up for 3's.    For the record,  Jared Harper will never play in the nba, IMO.

If only this statement had any validity to it lol 

Harper was a streaky three point pull up shooter some games he was to hot to touch and some times an arctic chill. He also blew by people and scored on the inside or got fouled and was a deadly FT shooter.  Two things happened to him at end of season one Brown was hurt and he did not have his go to gut and McLemore got hurt which took away another option. When that happened he got away from his game and tried to do to much. He and Brown at end of the year dribbled to much and we lost the ball movement that made us so tough.  I am praying he comes back because I am sure Pearl will be in his ear and he will be better than this year

Archived