Visitor's list for A-day

WFE12

A-Day recruiting list offers its own star power after week of key Auburn visitors

Benjamin Wolk

AUBURN, Ala. — The biggest football event of the spring always has recruiting implications.

Auburn’s spring game will take place on Saturday. It generally brings some recruiting momentum along with it. Last year, the Tigers snagged two commitment at A-Day — from offensive lineman Kam Stutts and athlete Kolbi Fuqua. Those were Auburn’s third and fourth commitments of the 2018 cycle.

Yet again, the Tigers enter the spring game with two commitment. There isn’t as much a sense of urgency to land immediate commitments as there was last year. A seven-year contract for the head coach will do that. It has allowed Auburn to stay patient in the 2019 class and shoot for its top-of-the-board targets before taking commitments from some of the lower-ranked prospects it has interest in.

Because of the willing patience, A-Day won’t have as big of a scheduled crowd as it has in the past. Some of that has to do with stadium construction affecting game day logistics. Some of it is expected weather. Some of it is because Auburn has capitalized on personalized, mid-week visits over big recruiting weekends this spring.

Just this week, the Tigers have hosted defensive lineman Justin Eboigbe, defensive lineman Colby Wooden, linebacker Owen Pappoe, offensive tackle Wanya Morris, wide receiver Ramel Keyon and potentially a few other unreported visits. Auburn has made an effort to prioritize these 1-on-1 type of visits, and it’s paying off with a few top targets.

The Tigers will still host several noteworthy prospects this weekend for the spring game. SEC Country will bring you recruiting coverage throughout the weekend. Here are the recruits known to be on the docket for Auburn.

Class of 2019 targets

• 4-star S Trikweze Bridges, Lanett, Ala.
  • 4-star DE Curtis Fann, Stillmore, Ga.
  • 4-star DE Derrick McLendon, Tucker, Ga.
  • 4-star CB Marcus Banks, Houston, Texas
  • 4-star OLB Derick Hall, Gulfport, Miss.
  • 4-star RB Derrian Brown, Buford, Ga.
  • 3-star QB Peter Parrish, Phenix City, Ala.
  • 3-star S Ray Thornton, Phenix City, Ala.
  • 3-star CB Raydarious Jones, Horn Lake, Miss.
  • 3-star S Aaron Beasley, Franklin, Ga.
  • 3-star TE Jamin Graham, Etowah, Ga.
  • 3-star DE Colby Wooden, Lawrenceville, Ga.
  • 3-star RB Jamontez Woods, Gadsden, Ala.
  • Unranked TE Jeremiah Johnson, Homerville, Ga.

Here are my three big things to takeaway from this:

One, there’s a huge emphasis of defensive linemen and defensive backs. Fann, McLendon, Hall and Wooden are among the 10 defensive linemen Auburn wants most in this class. Banks, Jones and Beasley are near the top of the defensive back board. I’ve also been told the Tigers like Brown at running back and safety, so there’s some defensive back interest there, too. Bridges is one of the higher-rated prospects visiting, but Auburn hasn’t offered yet. That could easily change this weekend.

Two, here’s a little more clarity to the tight end situation. Jackson Lowe is committed. Sean Brown and Luke Deal are far from certainties. Tyler Fromm will be patient with his decision. Thus, Auburn will host two more tight ends this weekend. Graham has visited once already this spring for a junior day, but he hasn’t been offered. He’s listed at defensive end, but Auburn is evaluating as a tight end. This is the first mention of Johnson, a 6-foot-7 tight end from Clinch County (Ga.). With that frame, an offer should certainly be something to watch

Three, the long-distance visit from Banks is an important one. He hasn’t been to the Plains yet, but he’s one of the most coveted cornerbacks on Auburn’s board. This will be a big visit to encourage a return trip in the summer or fall. The Tigers can’t afford to let this opportunity go to waste.

Class of 2020 and 2021 targets

• 4-star WR Kobe Hudson, Lagrange, Ga.
  • 4-star DT Jayson Jones, Calera, Ala.
  • 4-star RB JoQuavious Marks, Atlanta, Ga.
  • 3-star LB Quandarrius Robinson, Birmingham, Ala.
  • Unranked WR Eddie Williams, Phenix City, Ala.
  • Unranked LB Sergio Allen, Fort Valley, Ga.
  • Unranked DE Andy Boykin, Lagrange, Ga.
  • Unranked WR Julian Nixon, Roswell, Ga.
  • 2021 4-star OT Bryn Tucker, Knoxville, Tenn.
  • 2021 unranked OT Terrance Ferguson, Fort Valley, Ga.

Worth noting: Hudson makes his college announcement in a week. Auburn has been a heavy favorite since the beginning of the process, and this weekend visit only reinforces that belief.

Interested to see what happens with Bridges. Guy has offers from all the big schools except for AU.

I haven't really been following much with recruiting so far but Thought the emphasis was going to be on offensive linemen this class. Isn't that our highest need area?

4 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Did we mention Mr. Hudson the advantages of being close to home?? 

He's a big fan of Cam and that's why he got to be a huge AU fan. He will be ours. I watched his film yesterday and man this dude is talented.

2 hours ago, shabby said:

I haven't really been following much with recruiting so far but Thought the emphasis was going to be on offensive linemen this class. Isn't that our highest need area?

It is always going to be a a struggle to get top guys with JB as OL coach. Also he is behind in relationships since he just got back to AU.

Texas A&M grad transfer cornerback Nick Harvey visiting Auburn this weekend

image.png

Auburn is hosting Texas A&M grad transfer Nick Harvey.
Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

AUBURN, Ala. — Not all of Auburn’s recruits visiting this weekend are high school prospects. In fact, perhaps the most immediately important visitor was originally a member of the Class of 2014.

Texas A&M defensive back Nick Harvey is on the Plains for an official visit.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound cornerback announced on March 12 he intended to grad transfer from College Station. Harvey is taking his official visit to Auburn this weekend. The Richmond, Texas, native was at South Carolina two weeks ago.

Harvey’s decision to grad transfer comes after missing the entire 2017 season after an offseason knee surgery. During his time with the Aggies, he played in 38 of 39 games, including 12 starts in 2016 that accrued 10 pass breakups.

In his decision to transfer, Harvey thanked his Aggie family and cited his intention to pursue further educational and football objectives.

“To Texas A&M University, I want to say thank you for giving me an opportunity to play college football and make my parents proud by receiving my Bachelor’s degree at such an amazing university,” Harvey wrote in a Twitter port. “In order for me to prepare for life after football, I have decided to pursue my Masters at another institution.”

Harvey’s visit points to a personnel conecern in the defensive backfield.

Auburn had already shifted wide receiver Noah Igbinoghene to the defensive side to provide depth. There are a lot of young bodies at safety who are going to be called upon early in their careers. Harvey is option No. 1 right now to fill those gaps in the 2018 season.

Coming out of high school, Harvey was a 4-star prospect from Fort Bend Travis High School. He was the No. 7-ranked cornerback and No. 60-ranked overall prospect in the Class of 2018.

Harvey spent most of his A-Day pregame chatting with defensive backs coach Greg Brown in the end zone.

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great great movie...................................................

One of my all-time favorites....

Recruiting insider: Intel from Auburn A-Day spring game

Benjamin Wolk

3-star center Jakai Clark, Loganville, Ga.

• Jakai Clark picked up an offer from Auburn on Saturday. In fact, it was coach Gus Malzahn who gave the offer in his office. Clark said the extra attention was all he needed to see from the Tigers to make it his top school.
  • There was some chatter that Clark might commit. That wasn’t from sources, though. That was from Clark himself. But he said Auburn coaches told him to be patient with a decision, just to ensure he wasn’t making an in-the-moment decision he’d regret. To answer the likely follow-up question: Yes, Clark is a take for the Tigers. In fact, there could be a decision made within the next week.
  • Naturally the conversation came up about Clark’s high school teammates Owen Pappoe and Wanya Morris. Pappoe and Morris visited earlier in the week and had been in contact with Clark during their visit. The message from Pappoe to Morris was that Auburn coaches were singing Clark’s praises on the visit. That quickly turned into an offer.
  • Best quote from Clark: “Me, Owen and Wanya, we all talk. I’m not going to spill anything. But, yeah, obviously Auburn is one of Wanya’s top 2. Auburn is one of Owen’s top 3 or 5. We’re all very interested in Auburn. I’ll just say that.”

4-star cornerback Marcus Banks, Houston

• This was Marcus Banks’ first visit to Auburn, but it won’t be his last. After his first trip to the Plains, Banks decided he’s going to take a spring official visit. He will set up the date with defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson shortly after he returns to Texas.
  • That official visit schedule will take place this spring. Banks expects he’ll take all five this spring — those will be his top 5 — before making a spring-summer decision. He has official visits set for Texas A&M on April 27 and Texas on May 5. Baylor and LSU are the most likely official visits he’ll take outside of the aforementioned three.
  • Banks’ relationship with Woodson will be the Tigers’ best selling point. Those two FaceTime on a regular basis. This is the new defensive backs coach’s recruiting prowess hard at work.
  • Best quote from Banks: “I love the defense. That’s what drew my attention from the Texas A&M game. I was actually there on an A&M visit. I was watching Carlton Davis from Auburn. He really drew my attention and just the defensive style. They play aggressive. I love that defense. Before you know it, they had offered me. I made a point to come down here and take a look at it myself.”

3-star tight end Tyler Fromm, Warner Robins, Ga.

• Tyler Fromm, the younger brother of Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm, has been on campus three times in the last month. He came first for a junior day in March with his parents, returned for a solo visit last week and returned for A-Day on Saturday with his mother. Fromm’s regular presence on campus is a clear sign of the mutual interest between him and Auburn.
  • He isn’t naming any leaders at this time, but Fromm calls the Tigers a “top contender.”
  • Fromm said this visit was different from the others because he got to see the full scrimmage. He wanted to see if the Tigers opened up the passing game, which he said they did. Auburn has sold him on the idea that it needs better pass-catching personnel to spread the ball to the tight ends. He’s not worried about what Auburn has done with tight ends the last few cycles.
  • Best quote from Fromm: “They obviously want me to get in as quickly as I can just to get the recruiting class up.”

Other key Auburn recruiting notes from A-Day

• The big overnight visitors staying at Auburn will be 2019 defensive end Colby Wooden and Texas A&M grad transfer Nick Harvey. SEC Country will try to get as many updates as possible from both.
  • Florida linebacker commit Jammal Abrams returned for a visit to Auburn. He still hasn’t been offered, but it’s something to watch depending on how the Tigers’ linebacker recruitment takes off.
  • Defensive end target Curtis Fann didn’t make the trip as initially expected. For that reason, my confidence level is higher than ever he’ll go to South Carolina, which he publicly recruits for on Twitter.
  • Jo’Quavious Marks, a 2020 running back, was on campus this week. He’ll be one of the most highly coveted backs in the nation. He’s already been offered by Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami and others. Marks plays for the same high school that safety Smoke Monday attended. Many of the coaches who accompanied Monday on recruiting visits were at Auburn with Marks.
  • This has nothing to do with A-Day, but I’ll mention it anyway because it’s the buzz of the Auburn recruiting world right now. There are some serious legs to the Owen Pappoe-to-Auburn narrative. I’ve been told by a handful of sources that the Tigers are now the main threat to land him — yes, over Georgia. Now, there’s still a month to go before Pappoe commits, and even then, the schools that he doesn’t choose will still recruit him hard. But this is a major development.

•  

Nobody is a bigger fan than me of Malik Willis but the constant upbeat media(!!) & Gus narratives on him are interesting considering his post Spring break (and private QB lessons) dumpster fire performances. He'll be fine - I trust - but Peter Parrish (who?) might be the most excited A Day visitor this morning.     

26 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Nobody is a bigger fan than me of Malik Willis but the constant upbeat media(!!) & Gus narratives on him are interesting considering his post Spring break (and private QB lessons) dumpster fire performances. He'll be fine - I trust - but Peter Parrish (who?) might be the most excited A Day visitor this morning.     

What

When, if ever, have we pulled 3 kids from the same school in the same year's class?  That seems like a rare situation to have so many from one high school so talented but then for 3 of them to go to same college is even more unique.

17 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

When, if ever, have we pulled 3 kids from the same school in the same year's class?  That seems like a rare situation to have so many from one high school so talented but then for 3 of them to go to same college is even more unique.

Like westbrook says...."Why Not?"

Why wasn't the G Pickens there?   or was he?

I sure hope we keep him.   I recall another posting that is may be leveraging our offer to get more ( and I understand the recruiting game ).  

Archived