Malik Willis starter?

TigerOne

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I recall some folks thinking we might be better with JJ playing. You know with a more accurate QB who could better read defenses and improve our passing game :slapfh:

That's because we lost a game and as soon as we lose, a decent number of fans turn their brains off and start demanding changes.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

NM was my husband's favorite player. 

I won't ever bash an AU player, but until Willis or ANYONE can stay as cool as NM did under pressure then there is no comparison. He had ice running through his veins. 

I felt like he was just tough. In two years I never really saw him dinged up and then sitting out. And he probably took as many hits as anyone - other than Tre. 

44 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I have only watched the 7 on 7 and the 1st Quarter so far but what it looks like to me is that both of these guys would look a lot better in a real game where their escapability, speed, and agility will be needed and used. We know their strengths are not being pocket passers at this point so we basically were asking them to play quarterback with half of their skill set.

That being said, like I like how Petrino coached Lamar Jackson and I hope focus on improving the young QBs as passers while not discouraging them from running during actual games like how Petrino handled LJ.

Also, yes -- Malik has some maturing to do, but that's not uncommon for a sophomore.

Petrino is a much better QB coach and OC, than our C Lindsey is. Maybe in time CL can become an elite OC, but so far our offense is too inconsistent. 

The problem i see with Willis and Gatewood, is that both were considered top DT QBs but that means they didnt throw the ball much and was definitely not their strength, while they mobility, and running ability was their forte.

But in the SEC, they will have to hopefully become effective passers, bc these SEC defenses will effectively force us to pass at times, to win games. Their passing ability was not what they relied on in their offenses.

That is why, i would rather have a Stidham or a Nix, bc they learned how to pass in HS, and had some mobility to run effectively at times or escape pressure. These types can make all the throws, so we can open up the offense if needed.

Our 2 DT QBs have a long way to go to be effective throwers. That scares me when they become starters...

The ability to run will also open up receivers a little more too. Willis can’t make the throws that js can in tight spaces right now, but hopefully that will improve. He also didn’t start playing qb until his junior year in high school, so I’ll give him some extra time to develop that I may not give to a full time hs qb!

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The problem i see with Willis and Gatewood, is that both were considered top DT QBs but that means they didnt throw the ball much and was definitely not their strength, while they mobility, and running ability was their forte.

But in the SEC, they will have to hopefully become effective passers, bc these SEC defenses will effectively force us to pass at times, to win games. Their passing ability was not what they relied on in their offenses.

That is why, i would rather have a Stidham or a Nix, bc they learned how to pass in HS, and had some mobility to run effectively at times or escape pressure. These types can make all the throws, so we can open up the offense if needed.

Our 2 DT QBs have a long way to go to be effective throwers. That scares me when they become starters...

Is Gatewood's passing ability that poor? I honestly don't know. For him, I keep in mind that he also didn't play QB 100% of his time in high school. 

Is Nix more mobile and a true DT or more like Stidham?

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Petrino is a much better QB coach and OC, than our C Lindsey is. Maybe in time CL can become an elite OC, but so far our offense is too inconsistent. 

No disagreements there at all, but I was just talking about conceptually.

For example, Petrino taught Lamar Jackson how to think the game like a pocket passer and coached him as such during practices but told him to use his legs when things started getting dicey in the pocket during games as opposed to how Scot Loefler not only tried to teach Kiehl Frazier how to be a pocket passer, but idiotically discouraged him from leaving the pocket or attempting to run when things broke down.

If we work these kids as if they're supposed to be polished passers and let their natural instincts and running ability showcase themselves in the games I think it will be the best for all parties involved. JMO

49 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

I felt like he was just tough. In two years I never really saw him dinged up and then sitting out. And he probably took as many hits as anyone - other than Tre. 

NM had an unteachable ability to avoid big hits also. Even when he did get hurt, it was when he was on the sideline trying to get out IIRC. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You think Willis is better than Marshall? You have got to be kidding me. 

I do think he has the potential to be a better version of Marshall.   He has a similar athletic style of QB play.   Whether he develops is the real key.

Also after the way JJ played in the Arkansas game there were alot of people who thought he was a better qb than marshall.   I can recall listening to the opening drive and alot of people calling in saying those exact words.    Of course hindsight is 20/20   Im not sure where you were in 2014 but that was the buzz 

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I do think he has the potential to be a better version of Marshall.   He has a similar athletic style of QB play.   Whether he develops is the real key.

Also after the way JJ played in the Arkansas game there were alot of people who thought he was a better qb than marshall.   I can recall listening to the opening drive and alot of people calling in saying those exact words.    Of course hindsight is 20/20   Im not sure where you were in 2014 but that was the buzz 

Yep, after that game we felt like JJ was going to be "as advertised".   

So, it was not unreasonable for fans to want to see him again....and as time went on,  we kept wondering where that guy was.....expecting to see him again.  We just knew that arky version of JJ was still inside the uniform somewhere........ but unfortunately for him and for the team, he never emerged again. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yep, after that game we felt like JJ was going to be "as advertised".   

So, it was not unreasonable for fans to want to see him again....and as time went on,  we kept wondering where that guy was.....expecting to see him again.  We just knew that arky version of JJ was still inside the uniform somewhere........ but unfortunately for him and for the team, he never emerged again. 

agreed who would have thought his highlight film from Auburn would have been that half game he started in place of a suspended nick marshall.  mind blowing 

54 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Is Gatewood's passing ability that poor? I honestly don't know. For him, I keep in mind that he also didn't play QB 100% of his time in high school. 

Is Nix more mobile and a true DT or more like Stidham?

Nix is a lot more mobile than Stidham based on what I’ve seen. JS barely has escaped ability unfortunately.

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

You also have to keep in mind that he should still be in high school. He's only been with the program for a few weeks. We've got to give him time for the college level game to slow down for him before we will have a clue what he can do. Fall will be far more telling now that he's gotten his feet wet and knows what he has to do to be the man. 

JS will be the starter but please quit throwing trash at MW and JG. This defense is a whole lot better than you folks want to give them credit. I think they are going to make a lot of D1 and SEC QBs look bad this year. Our Front seven are as good as anybody in the country. And again it’s only ADay so don’t go selling your house yet !

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You also have to keep in mind that he should still be in high school. He's only been with the program for a few weeks. We've got to give him time for the college level game to slow down for him before we will have a clue what he can do. Fall will be far more telling now that he's gotten his feet wet and knows what he has to do to be the man. 

Recalling that he had almost no time to get set after big #91 bull rushed his OL and he was throwing to a motley crew of receivers running what almost looked like free lance routes. Joey's biggest gain from the game was to find out that SEC speed is couple magnitudes above what he is used to.   Personally, I draw no conclusions from what we saw on Saturday and hope the JG is not overly discouraged by his play. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

hope the JG is not overly discouraged by his play. 

I'm sure his head is just spinning right now trying to take it all in. I'm just glad, for the first time in a very long time, we have a veteran QB to mentor guys like him for a year.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

JS will be the starter but please quit throwing trash at MW and JG. This defense is a whole lot better than you folks want to give them credit. I think they are going to make a lot of D1 and SEC QBs look bad this year. Our Front seven are as good as anybody in the country. And again it’s only ADay so don’t go selling your house yet !

I haven't noticed any trashing so far.  Point is MW was playing with the starters against 2s and 3s mostly.  We all have to admit Willis didn't have a great day.  But as CGM said Cam didn't look All-world in his one and only A-Day game.  This is Malik's second spring. Probably looked a little better last year. Actually thought Appleton looked pretty good with only a handful of snaps.  Would be surprised if he takes a snap this fall though.

7 hours ago, AidiAU said:

NM was my husband's favorite player. 

I won't ever bash an AU player, but until Willis or ANYONE can stay as cool as NM did under pressure then there is no comparison. He had ice running through his veins. 

Nice trip down memory lane...

IMG_1117.GIF

IMG_1118.GIF

IMG_1119.GIF

25 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Nice trip down memory lane...

IMG_1117.GIF

IMG_1118.GIF

IMG_1119.GIF

That throw to Sammy Coates was nice..

I like what I saw out of Gatewood, even if it was limited. No doubting the athletic ability of either Willis or Gatewood.  Can either, or JS for that matter, ever have that calmness in the pocket NM had? No QB has since. Wouldn't it be nice though?

That OL and young RB committee concerns me.  

Whitlow and Martin have some big gain potential.

"Boobie pops free, and nobody lays a hand on him".....

Ok, that's my only one of the year. 

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

That throw to Sammy Coates was nice..

It's really a shame what happened to him. We all knew they wouldn't let him play qb in the NFL but I thought at least he could stay at cb. When I searched his name on Google the first pic that popped up was his mugshot.

Willis has all the tools, if Chip can develop his passing game to be as good as he looked running last year he can be a really good.

So he looked awesome in his first ADay game, and not so good this year.  What changed?

Remember that time Jeremy Johnson also looked great at first, then appeared to regress to terrible?

Puzzling.

10 hours ago, kd4au said:

Willis has all the tools, if Chip can develop his passing game to be as good as he looked running last year he can be a really good.

I think a lot of coaching QBs is figuring out what they do well....and then developing the offense to take advantage of it.  

JMO but Willis does not look like a drop back passer and it would be a waste of time to try and make him into one.....and pointless too.

Archived