Malik Willis starter?

TigerOne

All QBs, at some point, have to be drop back passers.  They have to be able to drop back, manage the pocket and make an accurate pass. When it's 3rd and 13 we won't ZR out if it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just need to get to the point of being efficient. Nobody ever got Pat White confused with Sam Bradford in college. But he got the job done. I think this is what 64 was getting at. The fact of the matter is MW may never be a pure pocket passer . As good as Lamar was , he is not a pure pocket passer. The difference between him and NM is the fact that you at least know that Lamar can make every type of throw. Accuracy is a different question.

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

All QBs, at some point, have to be drop back passers.  They have to be able to drop back, manage the pocket and make an accurate pass. When it's 3rd and 13 we won't ZR out if it.

Nope we run it up the gut for 3 yards if we have quit on the drive  or drop back and target a receiver 3 yards short of 1st 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Agree.  With re-watching the A-day practice both of the young guys need to spend time in QB school.  Malik looked more crisp because of a better understanding of the offense, but Gatewood showed a way more potential.  Gatewood is scary raw.  He needs so many reps to learn how to read a defense, check through his reads and work on his accuracy. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I think a lot of coaching QBs is figuring out what they do well....and then developing the offense to take advantage of it.  

JMO but Willis does not look like a drop back passer and it would be a waste of time to try and make him into one.....and pointless too.

He may never be a typical pocket passer but he does need to be a good enough passer to keep the defense honest and make them pay when they try to shut down the run game. If he can do that he will win a lot of games. A lot of people call QB's like him dual threat but are they really dual threat if they can't pass? A true dual threat QB is hard to come by.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:53 AM, TigerOne said:

Could Willis make a push to be the starter in the fall? 

Assuming every player has to earn their starting role.

He's running the show right now so it could be interesting.

Hopefully Stidham makes a full recovery from surgery.

Not happening, his A-day was not super reassuring. Stidham has it on lock even if he's not 100% which I think he will be fine.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not happening, his A-day was not super reassuring. Stidham has it on lock even if he's not 100% which I think he will be fine.

True....but Gus set up the day where there would never be a QB battle.

Pretty slick in my view.....basically gave us nothing to compare and furthermore,  Willis was not allowed to use his legs which are probably his best asset.   

JS will be the man unless he slips in the shower or something. 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True....but Gus set up the day where there would never be a QB battle.

Pretty slick in my view.....basically gave us nothing to compare and furthermore,  Willis was not allowed to use his legs which are probably his best asset.   

JS will be the man unless he slips in the shower or something. 

Agreed, using their legs has never been allowed at A-day and I understand why. I remember watching Cam at A-day and telling my dad, "man he'll really be something when they let him run."

Still accuracy is an issue that we don't need. Gus' lack of trust in quarterbacks is already rough enough to watch.

38 minutes ago, kd4au said:

He may never be a typical pocket passer but he does need to be a good enough passer to keep the defense honest and make them pay when they try to shut down the run game. If he can do that he will win a lot of games. A lot of people call QB's like him dual threat but are they really dual threat if they can't pass? A true dual threat QB is hard to come by.

No they aren’t a real true dual threat. That is a whole different discussion haha. I said NM wasn’t a true DT and almost got crucified haha. Recently, I would consider QBs like Deshaun Watson and even Baker Mayfield to be DTs. At one point of time I was on the JS is a DT and then I saw him in action....

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No they aren’t a real true dual threat. That is a whole different discussion haha. I said NM wasn’t a true DT and almost got crucified haha. Recently, I would consider QBs like Deshaun Watson and even Baker Mayfield to be DTs. At one point of time I was on the JS is a DT and then I saw him in action....

I still think JS is fine if there is some open field in front of him. He's decently fast enough to get 5 yards and slide. He just has terrible Ball Carrier Vision as Madden would call it. He is painful to watch once he starts looking to escape his pocket. May need to drop back further.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I still think JS is fine if there is some open field in front of him. He's decently fast enough to get 5 yards and slide. He just has terrible Ball Carrier Vision as Madden would call it. He is painful to watch once he starts looking to escape his pocket. May need to drop back further.

Well most QBs can move if there is an open field in front of them. JS absolutely is not elusive. Even Tom Brady can scatter for 5 yards and slide without anyone around. I will say he has deceptive speed if he can get going , but a DT-QB he is not.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well most QBs can move if there is an open field in front of them. JS absolutely is not elusive. Even Tom Brady can scatter for 5 yards and slide without anyone around. I will say he has deceptive speed if he can get going , but a DT-QB he is not.

Agreed, I don't think he's slow is what I was implying. He is just far from elusive.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just make a quick decision ...or dump it...but no point in trying to run away from the rush....just gonna get hurt....JMO.   I much better with him on some designed running plays ....option type and agree, he can surprise the Def and get 5 or 10 every now and then but he's not the sure 3rd and 3 ball carrier that Cam and Nick were so just don' worry about it.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just make a quick decision ...or dump it...but no point in trying to run away from the rush....just gonna get hurt....JMO.   I much better with him on some designed running plays ....option type and agree, he can surprise the Def and get 5 or 10 every now and then but he's not the sure 3rd and 3 ball carrier that Cam and Nick were so just don' worry about it.

True, I think he needs to drop back further like a NFL style.

Would let him see the pressure coming better and he could step up a little easier. Seems like he gets crashed in on sometimes.

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, I don't think he's slow is what I was implying. He is just far from elusive.

Based on his own quote, he thinks he's slow.

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

Going back and watching his Baylor film, he has shown that he can escape the rush long enough to get a pass off... sometimes. Whether that speaks to the difference in offensive style between the two teams or lack of quality rush in the Big 12, I don't know, but it is what it is. That being said, he NEVER looks comfortable running and while there are highlights of him making short yardage runs (usually because of a solid fake), I certainly wouldn't trust it when there are other options. Rather shift Miller/Whitlow to QB, shift Barrett to RB, and either take advantage of the speed or the power while Stidham throws a block when it's 3rd and short.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, aujeff11 said:

People were enamored with the thought of JJ starting after he did so well v. Arkansas. At the time, it was a pleasant thought knowing that JJ was waiting for his turn, but it was never cool wishing JJ would start over NM

2014 took a vicious twist and after that loss to MooState (23-38) in St'ville it became rough sailing.  We had seriously close wins vs USCe & OleMiss, and in the following weeks that loss to aTm sent the whole season into a death spiral.  AU went on to lose 4 of our last 5 games and then crapped the bed in a bowl game to a Wisky team lead by a freakin retired coach.  From the mid-point of 2014 to the end fans weren't sure what they were seeing and they were wanting answers/changes.

23 hours ago, Zeek said:

When his line breaks down and JS is running for his life, it is indeed painful to watch.:sad2:

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

2014 took a vicious twist and after that loss to MooState (23-38) in St'ville it became rough sailing.  We had seriously close wins vs USCe & OleMiss, and in the following weeks that loss to aTm sent the whole season into a death spiral.  AU went on to lose 4 of our last 5 games and then crapped the bed in a bowl game to a Wisky team lead by a freakin retired coach.  From the mid-point of 2014 to the end fans weren't sure what they were seeing and they were wanting answers/changes.

The sad thing is that, statistically, we were better in 2014 than we were in 2013. Our offensive numbers dropped slightly, but our defensive numbers improved more than or offensive numbers dropped off. The problem was, as much as we were able to move the ball and stop other teams from moving it, we fell off on scoring and out ability to stop other teams from scoring. I guarantee a lot of that had to do with the loss of key blockers on the offensive side.  On the defensive side, if you look at the numbers, they fell in the Mississippi State game and never recovered. The D just fell apart.

As for the bowl game, don't forget that said retired coach is a local hero who the players would do anything for, and they had the #1 running back in the nation. Also, at that point, our DC was phoning it in.  Our O did their job, while our D let them rack up 521 yards.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The sad thing is that, statistically, we were better in 2014 than we were in 2013. Our offensive numbers dropped slightly, but our defensive numbers improved more than or offensive numbers dropped off. The problem was, as much as we were able to move the ball and stop other teams from moving it, we fell off on scoring and out ability to stop other teams from scoring. I guarantee a lot of that had to do with the loss of key blockers on the offensive side.  On the defensive side, if you look at the numbers, they fell in the Mississippi State game and never recovered. The D just fell apart.

As for the bowl game, don't forget that said retired coach is a local hero who the players would do anything for, and they had the #1 running back in the nation. Also, at that point, our DC was phoning it in.  Our O did their job, while our D let them rack up 521 yards.

I'm aware of the team's drop off in the 2014 season both from the players and the coaching.  Stats are great but that group still found a way to lose 5 of the last 8 games and if the ball had bounced a different way, those USC/OleMiss wins that they squeaked out may have made it even worse.  Honestly, that 2014 season sent the program into a 2 yr funk that they only came out of when they kicked UGA/UAT's ass in '17.  

36 minutes ago, keesler said:

When his line breaks down and JS is running for his life, it is indeed painful to watch.:sad2:

After hearing JS was injured since Missouri, I am wondering if this was due to the injury.  I know it was his non-throwing shoulder.  But I am sure he still didn't want to get hit on it at all!

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

After hearing JS was injured since Missouri, I am wondering if this was due to the injury.  I know it was his non-throwing shoulder.  But I am sure he still didn't want to get hit on it at all!

Could be?    All I know is his oline didn't do him any favors in a few games last season.   Now he has to break in a new oline this year and hit the ground running at warp speed with Washington for an opener.:Sing:

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Could be?    All I know is his oline didn't do him any favors in a few games last season.   Now he has to break in a new oline this year and hit the ground running at warp speed with Washington for an opener.:Sing:

Yup, hopefully his happy feet took some adderall and calmed down.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, AU64 said:

I liked the effort of Asa and Whitlow.....and a couple WRs dropped passes they should have caught....otherwise it was back-ups and walk-ons who got the majority of playing time......and I'm happy they did.  

A couple of LB and DB dropped a couple they should have caught as well. Not saying much for either side IMO.  Hard to tell what we will look like come fall. I picture the defense looking very similar to 2017 and if Gus doesn't give Chip the reins, the offense will look very similar as well. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

A couple of LB and DB dropped a couple they should have caught as well. Not saying much for either side IMO.  Hard to tell what we will look like come fall. I picture the defense looking very similar to 2017 and if Gus doesn't give Chip the reins, the offense will look very similar as well. Time will tell.

One side is supposed to catch the ball while one side hopes to catch the ball. The past few years it has looked like both sides are hoping.

Archived