Malik Willis starter?

TigerOne

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Interesting thought . Wasn’t Malik originally being recruited as a corner for V.Tech? I wonder if nix does come in and somewhat show out does the coaching staff move him to corner? Under no circumstance do I think JG needs to be moved from QB. He needs the ball in his hands.

Willis isn’t playing for the team the second he’s asked to be a DB lol

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well if he transfers, what kind of schools do you think wants a raw QB like Willis? Even  JF3 ended up at WR at FAU. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well if he transfers, what kind of schools do you think wants a raw QB like Willis? Even  JF3 ended up at WR at FAU. 

He’s more polished than JF3 I’d say, he has displayed some level of accuracy at each level. I think if he went juco at a quality joint, he’d be decently desired

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I agree. I think he will be fine. Just needs to some polishing . I can’t ever see him being the passer of JS. He just need to be efficient in short yardage and cut down on turnovers. His athleticism is what will appear to Gus. 

Comparing Willis to JF3 is laughable.  Not only is it not in the same ball park, it's not even the same sport.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Comparing Willis to JF3 is laughable.  Not only is it not in the same ball park, it's not even the same sport.

Are Netflix documentaries a sport?

(By all accounts John is a good dude and always maintained a good attitude at Auburn. I'm confident he'll be successful in life one way or another.) 

3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

I think he is a better version of Nick Marshal and should play in that style.  

You think Willis is better than Marshall? You have got to be kidding me. 

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

I mean, they both only play football. And neither will ever be sound enough to start at QB for Auburn. Comparable but not a perfect fit. 

What was funny was a poster once comparing Sean White to Baker Mayfield.

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You think Willis is better than Marshall? You have got to be kidding me. 

I think some people remember Marshall's accuracy issues and consider that an indictment of his overall ability as a QB. 

It wasn't uncommon when he was playing for people to wonder if JJ should be starting. Same thing here. History repeats itself. 

Some of you all really need to step back from the twilight zone.  We have a starting QB that could start for ANY team in the SEC.  My only Jarrett Stidham concern was his untimely turnovers in a couple of critical games last year, but he nobody wants to make certain that doesn't happen again more than JS.  His arm talent is something to behold.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think some people remember Marshall's accuracy issues and consider that an indictment of his overall ability as a QB. 

It wasn't uncommon when he was playing for people to wonder if JJ should be starting. Same thing here. History repeats itself. 

I don't remember anyone thinking JJ should have been starting over Marshall. Marshall was a stone cold killer as a QB. Had the balls to tell Gus when something wasn't working and to change the calls. Kid is my favorite QB, besides Cam, that AU had. His leadership in 2013 is something legends are made of. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't remember anyone thinking JJ should have been starting over Marshall. Marshall was a stone cold killer as a QB. Had the balls to tell Gus when something wasn't working and to change the calls. Kid is my favorite QB, besides Cam, that AU had. His leadership in 2013 is something legends are made of. 

Totally agree on your assessment of Nick but there was lots of chatter at the time. It was silly then just as it's silly now. 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I recall some folks thinking we might be better with JJ playing. You know with a more accurate QB who could better read defenses and improve our passing game :slapfh:

Willis was a good QB in HS at Roswell HS.  He is a less than average QB at AU/in the SEC.  Stidham needs to stay healthy.

wde

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

People were enamored with the thought of JJ starting after he did so well v. Arkansas. At the time, it was a pleasant thought knowing that JJ was waiting for his turn, but it was never cool wishing JJ would start over NM. 

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

NM was my husband's favorite player. 

I won't ever bash an AU player, but until Willis or ANYONE can stay as cool as NM did under pressure then there is no comparison. He had ice running through his veins. 

1 minute ago, AidiAU said:

NM was my husband's favorite player. 

I won't ever bash an AU player, but until Willis or ANYONE can stay as cool as NM did under pressure then there is no comparison. He had ice running through his veins. 

Yes he did. 

They were definitely people ready to transition into a more pocket passing guy. Well guys we got it. 4 years later...

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Some of you all really need to step back from the twilight zone.  We have a starting QB that could start for ANY team in the SEC.  My only Jarrett Stidham concern was his untimely turnovers in a couple of critical games last year, but he nobody wants to make certain that doesn't happen again more than JS.  His arm talent is something to behold.

What are you even talking about? Only one person hinted at Willis upending JS and that is the OP who of course disappeared.

People seem to believe only what they want. I think people forget Cam Newton having a not so good A day game. In fact , CN didn’t become CN in my eyes until the South Carolina game which was about the fourth of the season. Same thing with NM. Look at his first game against Washington State? We got a somewhat glimpse of his potential against miss state, but he really didn’t turn the corner until that last drive. NM, IMO, didn’t become NM as we know until the Texas A&M game. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Give it some time before you just write someone off.

Just now, DAG said:

People seem to believe only what they want. I think people forget Cam Newton having a not so good A day game. In fact , CN didn’t become CN in my eyes until the South Carolina game which was about the fourth of the season. Same thing with NM. Look at his first game against Washington State? We got a somewhat glimpse of his potential against miss state, but he really didn’t turn the corner until that last drive. NM, IMO, didn’t become NM as we know until the Texas A&M game. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Give it some time before you just write someone off.

Are you truly trying to equate Willis in any shape, fashion or form to Cam or Nick Marshall?  Rome took many years to build LMAO.  Willis is a project that needs more years than the building of Rome to be a winning AU SEC QB.

wde

Malik will probably be the starter next year and I hope they put in some plays for him this year for a change of pace.  But right now he ain’t Nick Marshall.  I do think he has the potential to be great at some point but any thought that he is going to take the job from JS this year is ludicrous. And that was the subject of this stupid thread.  As long as JS is healthy he is the starter.  Period.

35 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Are you truly trying to equate Willis in any shape, fashion or form to Cam or Nick Marshall?  Rome took many years to build LMAO.  Willis is a project that needs more years than the building of Rome to be a winning AU SEC QB.

wde

edit: that was rude. I apologize but come on man. I am not comparing the players innate ability. More so, the trajectory of each. The two predecessors didn’t just step on the plains lighting it up. They had bumps along the way where people questioned them

I have only watched the 7 on 7 and the 1st Quarter so far but what it looks like to me is that both of these guys would look a lot better in a real game where their escapability, speed, and agility will be needed and used. We know their strengths are not being pocket passers at this point so we basically were asking them to play quarterback with half of their skill set.

That being said, like I like how Petrino coached Lamar Jackson and I hope focus on improving the young QBs as passers while not discouraging them from running during actual games like how Petrino handled LJ.

Also, yes -- Malik has some maturing to do, but that's not uncommon for a sophomore.

Archived