A-Day thread

WarTiger

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, TD Moultry, Nick Coe, Big Kat, Smoke Monday, and most of our current defense are not Muschamp recruits. 

Muschamp's best recruit is now at Maryland.....Steele doing fine getting the talent....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DivisionN said:

I enjoyed going to the A Day game. I like Coach Malzahn, but there is no doubt he puts on the worst spring game ever. Unfortunately, that sometimes carries over to the beginning of the season. I saw some really good things from our first team defense, but we are very thin. Running backs were pretty undisciplined except for Torbert, the walk on. We didn't have much talent playing at receiver but that should sort itself out in Fall.  One thing to fear.... more injuries. We just don't have the depth to keep getting hurt. Defense looks very well coached. But once we run out of Muschamp recruits, we could be headed for hard times.

Boobee did pretty dang good plus Asa had some nice patient runs as well...looked like KJ a bit.

Video of highlights

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040718aaa.html

AUBURN, Ala. - Anders Carlson kicked four field goals, C.J. Tolbert had a 79-yard run and scored both touchdowns, and the No.1 defense held the No. 2 offense to minus-5 yards in the first half, leading the Orange team to an 18-10 victory Saturday in Auburn's A-Day game.

"What really stood out to me is our defense played extremely well," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "Our second defense played well, too. They've done that all spring."

In 14 first-half plays, Auburn's first-team defense recorded five tackles for loss, including defensive MVP Nick Coe's sack for a safety.

Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and Jeremiah Dinson each added TFLs to Coe's two in the first half. Big Kat Bryant added two tackles for loss in the second half for the Blue team. Bryant also forced and recovered a fumble.

spacer.gif

Carlson connected on all four attempts, from 45, 38, 41 and 53 yards, earning special teams MVP honors.

"He's done that all spring, too," Malzahn said. "That was very encouraging to see him out there kicking the way he has been up to this point, in front of a crowd."

Playing for both teams, offensive MVP Tolbert led all rushers with 140 yards on 16 carries. He scored a 2-yard touchdown after his 79-yard gain, the only touchdown in the first half.

JaTarvious Whitlow gained 41 yards on eight carries in the first half, showing elusiveness and quickness. Whitlow finished with 14 carries for 98 yards.

"Tailback wise, our plan was to rotate those guys, especially the young guys, see what they can do," Malzahn said. "They held on to the football. That was my main thing. You could see those young guys have a lot of ability, broke some tackles, did some good things."

Nate Craig-Myers made the longest reception of the first half, a 15-yarder from Malik Willis in traffic, leading to Carlson's third field goal.

Marquis McClain hauled in a 47-yard highlight reel catch from Wil Appleton in the fourth quarter, bobbling the ball into the air before making the grab while on his knees. Tolbert capped the drive with his second touchdown, a 2-yarder.

Auburn held out offensive veterans Ryan Davis, Chandler Cox and Kam Martin, with some batting nagging injuries. Their absence allowed Auburn's coaches to evaluate less proven players, Malzahn said.

Willis and Joey Gatewood quarterbacked the first and second-team offenses, while returning starter Jarrett Stidham participated in 7-on-7 before the scrimmage.

"It was good to see those guys out in front of a crowd," Malzahn said. "Overall, both sides of the football got after it and had fun out there playing in front of our home crowd."

A rainy morning gave way to a cloudy and cool, but dry, afternoon, with 28,033 attending.

"I appreciate our fans coming out," Malzahn said. "The forecast was miserable. It was raining all day until the kick. Really appreciate those guys coming out."

Auburn will conclude spring practice with workouts on Monday and Tuesday.

"Our defense has a chance to be really good," Malzahn said. "From a head coach's standpoint, I feel very good about our overall team."

We went to AU today to eat and shop, but skipped the game due to the weather. 

I’m watching A-day now - it’s what I expected it to be. I don’t understand why we thought it wouldn’t be vanilla. I would like the players to catch the ball. 

Seeing Eli and Will on the bench made me sad. 

2 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

That was the worst spring game I have ever watched and believe me I have seen a few. I hope Stidham doesn't get hurt or it is going to be a long season for AU. Miller couldn't hit anybody and when he did they dropped the ball. Not a fun thing to watch and not looking forward to this season.  

WDE anyway !!!!!

you're not looking forward to this season because...... A day?  umm okay. Bama looked like hot garbage last spring game. we know how tgat turned out. Auburn is looking at starting the season as a top ten and you're not looking forward to the season because of the spring game. I'll never understand this level of doom and gloom and hope i never do. 

rewatching. Run blocking look pretty good. Also I think our running backs going to be just fine this year. ASA Martin wow future is bright. and Tolbert..... will he be entering the competition for carries?

Let’s get spring over before someone else stubs their toe . Was the d that good or the offense that bad today ? 

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Let’s get spring over before someone else stubs their toe . Was the d that good or the offense that bad today ? 

okay I get that the qb play was bad. not helped a bit by the dropped passes but the run game looked really good and the offensive line looked decent all things considered. I'm seriously trying to understand what I'm missing. everyone seemed to think the offense was terrible and I just didnt see it that way. 

32 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I was pleased with Boobie.

Earlier I almost said that I get the warm and fuzzies from watching boobie, but I caught myself. Lol

I feel pretty good about 2018. Sorry to bring sour ? lol

29 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Earlier I almost said that I get the warm and fuzzies from watching boobie, but I caught myself. Lol

I thought Boobie looked good.  Well rounded. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I agree with you. ...and I still haven't watched the game yet.

2 hours ago, shabby said:

okay I get that the qb play was bad. not helped a bit by the dropped passes but the run game looked really good and the offensive line looked decent all things considered. I'm seriously trying to understand what I'm missing. everyone seemed to think the offense was terrible and I just didnt see it that way. 

I don't get it either. It reminds me of the 2010 A Day game. Nobody was impressed with the team and Cam only threw a few passes.

I don't think the sky is falling just yet....

16 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gonna be a while to get anything verifiable but no major injuries. Day to day stuff. Got until fall to get some warm bodies at center.

Just saw the replay and McLain was hobbling badly after his long catch. Hamm had to be helped off the field after getting rolled up from behind. Hope both of these guys are ok. 

I know how much everybody is talking about how much the Defense controlled the game.  I saw a few times when the D-Line forced Malik and Gatewood to get outside the pocket and the reality was they actually had room to run but because if a D player was in vicinity it was called dead same thing on a couple of reads when QB's kept the ball. In a real game this changes the defense dramatically. Was the D-Line dominant throughout yes but that was because QB's couldn't run. I agree about the dropped passes, over throws and passes behind the receivers. 

I saw Asa Martin and Boobie prove they could be SEC RB's both running and blocking. Kam didn't play much because coaches already know what he can do. I am feeling better about running back after this game than before.  O-Line is still a question mark as a unit they got beaten to often.  What I would like to see how individuals graded out. I saw Horton and Harrel do well on some run plays. I am  really interested in how Prince, Troxell and Ashley graded out individually.  We had our third string walk-on center starting so that had to effect the O-line especially since center is the QB of the O-Line.

I liked the fact that we went to Craig more and a few times he was open but bad throws, Also I loved the catch he made in traffic we may have found the mid-range go to receiver we have been missing.

Finally part of the problem with the O is how good our D-Line is. There is literally no drop off from first unit to second unit, Coe was dominant and he is second unit, Big Cat is second unit this is one of the deepest high quality D-Lines in the country. We have guys playing on the second unit that I believe will play in the NFL.

You can't make to much positive or negative from an A-Day game when looking at the product on the field you have to look at the individual battles and players.  I am impressed by the D as a whole dominant D-Line, very good Line Backing, D-Backs did well and it looks like some of the young guys could start or give us depth that we were worried about.  Over-all D impressed me.  I saw a few drives where O just laid their ears back and ran the ball against a good D in an offense where the running QB's were not allowed to run and where we didn't have Stidham who makes the short passes to the RB's in the open field. RB's who were open but the other QB's missed the passes.  

I am still worried about the O-Line as we all should be but they have some talent and they practice everyday against one of the best D-Lines in the country which will help them. This will be Kim's 3rd year in the system and he will have Brahm's and possibly Irving as possible backups next year. From what I have been reading Prince has made great strides since last year and we have two talented players Troxell and Ashley competing at RT and we have Grimes who is one of the best teachers in the game.

For the last 3 years I have worried the most about the O-Line and I am doing it again this year but if receivers had caught a few of the dropped passes and QB's had hit the backs in stride on a few passes the O would have looked a lot better than it did not great but a lot better. If our D is as good as I think it is I believe we can beat Washington as I think our O will be better against Washington than they were against Clemson which will be enough to win. I think O will be a work in progress next year but I think they will improve from game to game.

I went back and tried to watch it last night. Still couldn’t get through it all. Just absolutely boring. I think the SECCG and the bowl game loss really took a toll on my fandom. We just looked ill prepared for both games, and honestly I’m expecting the same against UW. Hope I’m wrong. Still can’t believe we’re paying $7,000,000/yr for Gus....

No major injuries as I'm aware. Day to day stuff.

nasty weather plus how we ended the season set up for less than spectacular optimism. That coupled with the 7-on-7 stuff, injuries, and the drops and poor passing gave the appearance of a not-so-wonderful A-day. No the sky is not falling and we can still be good, but it is not incorrect to be a little concerned. In the end though it is a glorified scrimmage, and it was extra vanilla. We shouldn't be Debbie downers about it.

my opinion, we will win a lot of games with our front 7. We will some games with Stidham. The three or four that could go either way will be decided on how well our O Line can get it together. Here's hoping! War Eagle!

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

No major injuries as I'm aware. Day to day stuff.

nasty weather plus how we ended the season set up for less than spectacular optimism. That coupled with the 7-on-7 stuff, injuries, and the drops and poor passing gave the appearance of a not-so-wonderful A-day. No the sky is not falling and we can still be good, but it is not incorrect to be a little concerned. In the end though it is a glorified scrimmage, and it was extra vanilla. We shouldn't be Debbie downers about it.

my opinion, we will win a lot of games with our front 7. We will some games with Stidham. The three or four that could go either way will be decided on how well our O Line can get it together. Here's hoping! War Eagle!

Do you stand by your earlier comments that Brahms and Kim will be ready to go by Fall Camp?

Nine wins is my metric for a successful season.

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

I thought firm but with good wiggle. Really, everything you would ever want in a Boobie.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Do you stand by your earlier comments that Brahms and Kim will be ready to go by Fall Camp?

Yes I expect both centers ready to go by fall. I think Kim obviously will have the major advantage as Brahms injury will take some time.

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

9 wins..the bar is always 10 or more but you may be right.

The UCF game really left a sour end to the season, but the attitude and comments of some of the players is encouraging.

They are upset about it too. The coaches are embarrassed too I hope, especially the head coach.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

9 wins..the bar is always 10 or more but you may be right.

The UCF game really left a sour end to the season, but the attitude and comments of some of the players is encouraging.

They are upset about it too. The coaches are embarrassed too I hope, especially the head coach.

Seems so much like 2013. Immaculate season ...Things go to the crapper in the end and the team comes back the next season pissed. Returning star qb the following season.This season will be better than 2014...Has to be...Too much talent on this team. The defense will carry the team for the most part which is a far cry from 2013. I will need to see what happens in the first game of course but that o-line is so pivotal man...We will have a great stable at rb and an elite qb. I'm not worried about the front 7 AT ALL. The secondary should be interesting. There's no reason for this team to not be undefeated heading into Amen Corner.

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Seems so much like 2013. Immaculate season ...Things go to the crapper in the end and the team comes back the next season pissed. Returning star qb the following season.This season will be better than 2014...Has to be...Too much talent on this team. The defense will carry the team for the most part which is a far cry from 2013. I will need to see what happens in the first game of course but that o-line is so pivotal man...We will have a great stable at rb and an elite qb. I'm not worried about the front 7 AT ALL. The secondary should be interesting. There's no reason for this team to not be undefeated heading into Amen Corner.

Yeah. This is a team that can score 25+ and win. Not so in 2014. If we can get past Washington then maybe the OL gets settled in before the next big challenge. 

I just looked at that 2014 roster and, other than Dismukes, I'm not sure that offensive line was giving us significantly more optimism than this one is going into the season. Chad Slade was a beast, but so is Horton and maybe Harrell, too. Coleman was in his first year as a starter and I'm optimistic that Tega can match his production. Leff was a pretty good right tackle, but probably didn't have the natural ability that Trox and Ashley do, so if Grimes can get them coached up in fall camp then we might be okay there. "Just" gotta coax a mean streak out of this group. 

Edit: Of course, that QB in 2014 did an okay job of avoiding pressure...

Archived