A-Day thread

WarTiger

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Of course, that QB in 2014 did an okay job of avoiding pressure...

Gonna be more pressure on the OL (and RBs) to protect the QB than in 2014...... JS is reasonably elusive but not particularly quick and will need to be more decisive than he was much of last year.   The farce of the 7 on 7 was that he had plenty of time to wait for receivers ...no rush in his face. 

I'm thinking he will make a big step up this year after having  a full season at AU.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think spring games are meaningless. You basically watch a bunch of walkons and 3rd stringers. The O is vanilla. The QBs can’t run, which outside is Stidham is their strength. 

They should do away with it and just have practices. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gonna be more pressure on the OL (and RBs) to protect the QB than in 2014...... JS is reasonably elusive but not particularly quick and will need to be more decisive than he was much of last year.   The farce of the 7 on 7 was that he had plenty of time to wait for receivers ...no rush in his face. 

I'm thinking he will make a big step up this year after having  a full season at AU.

JS is an elite talent. There is no worry there. However everyone is concerned about the OL. A bad OL can make a great QB look average. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm with you. He and the entire offense evolved immeasurably from week 2 to week 12 (or even 10) last season. We probably don't pick up exactly where we left off- I'm pretending that the season ended with bama for the purposes of this response- but we're also not hitting the reset button like we have in most seasons that Gus has been here. And I think that 2014 showed that Gus doesn't *always* need 3-4 games to figure out what his offense is. And who knows, maybe it isn't Gus doing the heavy lifting on the figuring out part this offseason. (Not taking a shot there... just saying things are probably different this offseason than last, especially with Hand out of the picture.)

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think spring games are meaningless. You basically watch a bunch of walkons and 3rd stringers. The O is vanilla. The QBs can’t run, which outside is Stidham is their strength. 

They should do away with it and just have practices. 

I like A-Day because I can bring my kiddo to JHS for $5 + a bunch of ice cream. :) 

I fully agree that it is meaningless in terms of seeing what our team will look like for the upcoming season. It's why I never understand why people get upset when the game isn't up to their standards. 

5 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I like A-Day because I can bring my kiddo to JHS for $5 + a bunch of ice cream. :) 

I fully agree that it is meaningless in terms of seeing what our team will look like for the upcoming season. It's why I never understand why people get upset when the game isn't up to their standards. 

Absolutely correct....hope you got to enjoy the day....always fun to be on the AU campus. 

8 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Hear, hear. 

I get being concerned about how we play on an individual basis. Does the QB look inaccurate? Does the RB look slow? Do the WRs drop passes? Etc. I get that. Complaining about the format, vanilla play calling, etc? Come on, folks. 

39 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

If they'd just schedule better weather

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

I read where he's had surgery on it.......

"...AuburnUndercover.com first reported that Dinson underwent surgery. Dinson is expected to return during fall camp and should not miss any games next season, according to the source.

The injury is not to the same shoulder that Dinson injured as a freshman in 2015,..."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/04/auburn_safety_jeremiah_dinson.html

35 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Are there replays online? I didn't get to watch the scrimmage but would like to

ESPNU is replaying the game on Monday, the 16th at 4pm if that helps you out. I missed it too because I forgot to record it. 

47 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

the cliff notes version of Aday

Thanks. So after watching this what I see is a lot of young, talented guys getting their feet wet. You can tell there was tightness coming into the game, especially at the start of 7 on 7. QB missed passes and wrs dropped passes, but the play calls were there. MW missed a couple of wide open guys across the field including SAL. Speaking of SAL, I was glad to see him out there. Defense looked very disciplined and good. O-Line needs to get tougher, but they are playing against studs across for them. Hard to even judge their performance. Basically, I don't see a lot to meltdown over, YET.  The team is definitely talented, just need to get the right pieces back in there and allowing them to grow.

I would prefer the FBS change to a 10 game regular season to give the players time to heal.  Play the FCS game from the Southern Conference for the Spring game.  I like the spring game to see who has improved their game.  Would help the FCS team get their payday but not wreck their season with injuries.  Would not waste a weekend in the fall.   If the school would go bankrupt by missing one game they can take the final scrimmage and make that the Sunbelt C-USA MAC preseason game.

Little doc

Archived