2019 3* C Jakai Clark Decommitted from AU (Update 9/3/18 )

WFE12

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No threads about Clark pretty much lying to AU this weekend and visiting UT? 

It just keeps getting better and better.

8 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

It just keeps getting better and better.

I know what you mean. We have a coach with a long term contract. We have top-level recruits committed and working hard to recruit for us. These are things that, when lacking in the past, were used as excuses/reasons why we'd lose a player here and there. Now those pieces are in place and we once again seem to be sliding backwards.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I know what you mean. We have a coach with a long term contract. We have top-level recruits committed and working hard to recruit for us. These are things that, when lacking in the past, were used as excuses/reasons why we'd lose a player here and there. Now those pieces are in place and we once again seem to be sliding backwards.

Can't continually crap the bed to end seasons. The bowl game against UCF was a huge loss. Huge. Why I keep saying the Washington game is so critical.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No threads about Clark pretty much lying to AU this weekend and visiting UT? 

First I've seen of it.

The last time that I looked, Auburn was a slight favorite vs. Washington, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Gus doesn’t lay the same huge turd that he did in the last 2 openers.  I can’t remember the last time I saw a team so unprepared.  It’s time for Gus to start earning that huge pat raise.  

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

First I've seen of it.

Told our staff he couldn't get a ride and was going to stay home Friday. Went to UT. Could have rode with OP. Clark is on flip watch now. Our staff is not happy about this at all. 

• Thanks 3
  • Angry 1

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Told our staff he couldn't get a ride and was going to stay home Friday. Went to UT. Could have rode with OP. Clark is on flip watch now. Our staff is not happy about this at all. 

Yeesh. Even if he doesn't flip, he starts off here on a really sour note. I really had this guy pegged as this class's Deshaun Davis in terms of committing early, being grateful for the offer and working his butt off to help recruit. And that looked like the case up until at least a month ago. 

Pruitt's got something cooking up there. Wish he was stealing leghumpers instead of our guys, though. 

Also, I might have to eat some crow on Grimes if this happens. This seems like the kind of guy he simply cannot lose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeesh. Even if he doesn't flip, he starts off here on a really sour note. I really had this guy pegged as this class's Deshaun Davis in terms of committing early, being grateful for the offer and working his butt off to help recruit. And that looked like the case up until at least a month ago. 

Pruitt's got something cooking up there. Wish he was stealing leghumpers instead of our guys, though. 

Also, I might have to eat some crow on Grimes if this happens. This seems like the kind of guy he simply cannot lose. 

Pruitt could be a disaster as a head coach on the college level. But one thing he does know how to do very well is the recruiting game. 

• Like 4

We are going to be in trouble competing with a 3 headed monster for recruits if Pruitt gets rolling. We already have trouble with the turds and in 3 years Kirby had fixed the hyper drive in the Millennium Falcon and left us in the dust. Hell this weekend alone they got 2 4*’s and a 5* no one saw coming. 

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

We are going to be in trouble competing with a 3 headed monster for recruits if Pruitt gets rolling. We already have trouble with the turds and in 3 years Kirby had fixed the hyper drive in the Millennium Falcon and left us in the dust. Hell this weekend alone they got 2 4*’s and a 5* no one saw coming. 

If it's any comfort, we have never, consistently, out-recruited UAT, UGA, Tenessee or Florida.The best we've done is rank a little higher than one or the other for a year or so.  Somehow we've done very well against those schools, better than most of their opponents. We don't have to top them, just stay in the hunt. The new fly in the ointment is Clemson. I'll submit that they are getting some players we used to get and with Auburn working on a thin margin to begin with, Clemson is causing us a problem.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He can go. I only wanted him because I thought it would help with Wanya and OP. If he is going to play these games then BYE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Gotta love head coaches encouraging 17 year-olds to lie.

Jeffery has no problem with that........................

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Jeffery has no problem with that........................

Jeffrey who?

On 7/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, Mikey said:

If it's any comfort, we have never, consistently, out-recruited UAT, UGA, Tenessee or Florida.The best we've done is rank a little higher than one or the other for a year or so.  Somehow we've done very well against those schools, better than most of their opponents. We don't have to top them, just stay in the hunt. The new fly in the ointment is Clemson. I'll submit that they are getting some players we used to get and with Auburn working on a thin margin to begin with, Clemson is causing us a problem.

Another nasty $#!t fly in the ointment is Fisher at aTm.......he's knocking on the door of a top 5 class as I type.  Chad Morris is doing better than his behemoth predecessor with positive recruiting, pulling from his Texas connections - and by Arkansas standards he has done great so far.

So now AU has UAT/UGA/UT/aTm/Clemp and UF (although Mullen hasn't done much thus far) that may add a little discomfort. 

IMHO, I think the SEC as a whole upped the ante their HC hiring the last couple of years.  With the addition of Smart/Fisher/Pruitt/Muschamp/Morris they purged the former HC's and some strong recruiters were added to the SEC.  That fact alone added a needed spark to AU's staff as they've ramped up their recruiting strength - it will damn sure be needed in the coming years.

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Another nasty $#!t fly in the ointment is Fisher at aTm.......he's knocking on the door of a top 5 class as I type.  Chad Morris is doing better than his behemoth predecessor with positive recruiting, pulling from his Texas connections - and by Arkansas standards he has done great so far.

So now AU has UAT/UGA/UT/aTm/Clemp and UF (although Mullen hasn't done much thus far) that may add a little discomfort. 

IMHO, I think the SEC as a whole upped the ante their HC hiring the last couple of years.  With the addition of Smart/Fisher/Pruitt/Muschamp/Morris they purged the former HC's and some strong recruiters were added to the SEC.  That fact alone added a needed spark to AU's staff as they've ramped up their recruiting strength - it will damn sure be needed in the coming years.

I would add FSU and LSU, although it seems like LSU doesn't steal so many of our guys as much as we are always on the outside looking in at a couple of theirs. 

And saban definitely changed the game with that 2008 class. Everything that has happened in the SEC since has been in response to that IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

I would add FSU and LSU, although it seems like LSU doesn't steal so many of our guys as much as we are always on the outside looking in at a couple of theirs. 

And saban definitely changed the game with that 2008 class. Everything that has happened in the SEC since has been in response to that IMO. 

Absolutely agree!

The only thing I was trying to point out to Mikey's post was that while he stated AU has never consistently out-recruited UAT/UGA/UT/UF (which is true) yet AU has somehow done well against those schools is a little deceiving now in 2018.  When I view the current landscape of not only this conference, but the addition of Clemson to the immediate vicinity, I see rough waters for AU which gives me no comfort at all.

Auburn can NOT allow these heavy recruiters to diminish their standing in the recruiting wars.  These new HC's are brutal savages on the trail - and the days of fat Bert/brick builder Butch Jones/nice guy Richt/shark lover McElwain/lush Sumlin/old man Spurrier are officially OVER!

They've been replaced by a much higher caliber recruiting breed of HC's, guys that put a priority on pulling in talent.  

I also agree that Saban in the last decade has been the main catalyst for change and evolution in college football as we now know it (not just the SEC.)  His impact has been felt nationwide and I've personally never in my life time seen one man do that to the entire sport.  

The challenge for Auburn right now is that they will have to go head to head everyday against several HC's from Saban's coaching tree, guys who cut their teeth under his recruiting process - those guys will be relentless. 

I want Auburn to match them and challenge everyone of them, strap on the gloves and maintain their position any way they have to....I just hope AU can hold up in a true street fight mentality and not walk away because they are the nice guy, the guys Gus will face today are Dirty.

• Like 3

I get the sentiment, but some of the guys recently “purged” were mega-recruiters. Sumlin in particular. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I get the sentiment, but some of the guys recently “purged” were mega-recruiters. Sumlin in particular. 

I agree on Sumlin but he was not a smart recruiter.  Sumlin mirrored Richt in that he would have top classes with players that might not fill needs.  It's great to get a ton of top WRs and QBs but if you don't get the other parts then it won't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I agree on Sumlin but he was not a smart recruiter.  Sumlin mirrored Richt in that he would have top classes with players that might not fill needs.  It's great to get a ton of top WRs and QBs but if you don't get the other parts then it won't matter.

+1

Fisher will recruit better than Sumlin and Smart will recruit better than Richt..........Pruitt will do better than Jones ~ Mullen "should" do better than McElwain (although not yet), Muschamp will do better than Spurrier, Morris will do better than Bielemia, I have no idea what to think of Moorehead at MSU, Orgeron will be hard pressed to do better than Miles.   No one can ignore the ramped up recruiting prowess of these new batch of HCs and the energy they bring to the environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry but UT can’t be viewed as a better option. I’ll play devil’s advocate for Clark though.

These kids typically suck at communicating. He might not have found a ride until last minute and then didn’t bother telling the staff. I see similar moments with my wrestlers all the time to be honest.

We probably keep him though. Not having a stellar year recruiting Offensive Linemen. Need to keep the ones we have.

• Like 2

I mean, was there not room to ride with his teammate?! I’m sure OP could work out a ride for him. ??‍♀️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

I’m sorry but UT can’t be viewed as a better option.

It absolutely can if he can start earlier there. And that's exactly what they're selling guys like Clark and Morris. Without looking at UT's roster/depth chart/commitment list, I'm guessing they don't have a redshirt freshman like Nick Brahms who makes it quite possible that no 2019 guy will start at center for Auburn until 2023. 

UT's been down for a long time but they are no Kentucky or Arkansas. They've got history and they've got the league's first 100,000 seat stadium. Shoot, they've got a freaking "navy". Furthermore, a new staff with new energy can always fire up recruits by telling them that they will be part of "building something special". Look at what Kiffin and Orgeron did there when they came in with that "UT Wild Boyz" stuff. That was a little over the top but make no mistake, Pruitt is in a great position to pull in a killer class. 

TL;DR- A bad team at a name program with a new coach means early playing time and a fast track to pro ball in the mind of a big-time recruit. UT has one of the best recruiting pitches out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It absolutely can if he can start earlier there. And that's exactly what they're selling guys like Clark and Morris. Without looking at UT's roster/depth chart/commitment list, I'm guessing they don't have a redshirt freshman like Nick Brahms who makes it quite possible that no 2019 guy will start at center for Auburn until 2023. 

UT's been down for a long time but they are no Kentucky or Arkansas. They've got history and they've got the league's first 100,000 seat stadium. Shoot, they've got a freaking "navy". Furthermore, a new staff with new energy can always fire up recruits by telling them that they will be part of "building something special". Look at what Kiffin and Orgeron did there when they came in with that "UT Wild Boyz" stuff. That was a little over the top but make no mistake, Pruitt is in a great position to pull in a killer class. 

TL;DR- A bad team at a name program with a new coach means early playing time and a fast track to pro ball in the mind of a big-time recruit. UT has one of the best recruiting pitches out there.

Absolutely!

Pruitt knows how to tell a kid what they want to hear, he knows the parent angle and he knows how to sell a program and the potential of that program because he learned from some of the best in the business.    He recruited for Rush Probst at Hoover - Nick Saban on 2 different stints - he worked side by side with Lance Thompson at uat when that staff pulled in some of Saban's first gold classes which started uat on a roll that yet to let up.  He had a stint under Jimbo Fisher at FSU......