2019 3* C Jakai Clark Decommitted from AU (Update 9/3/18 )

WFE12

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We aren't getting Webb. 

This is a huge pickup at C.(Kid is in) He is a monster and plays big boy football. Smart and mean. Love this kid. 

Honestly I was hoping we truly weren't just offering him to appease his teammates. Good to see all the good comments about him. He plays for one of the best highschools and has good film so why is he a 3-star?

Very excited to have a center coming into the fold. It does sting a little everytime we accept a 3* knowing we're not getting the 5* at the same position. However, I'm glad for us to get anyone if it'll start getting a ball rolling. Those on here way more in the know seem high on him so I'll take it as a win.

War Eagle

• Like 1

Very exciting. We've done a nice job in recent years of recruiting the Center position, not just over-signing Guards and hoping to shift them inside. Brahms, Irvin, and Clark will provide both depth and top-end talent at Center in coming seasons. Great to get this kid in the fold early.

Now get to recruiting your teammates, young man!!

• Like 1

No clue why this kid is so lowly rated.  From his hudl video he's very good on his assignments and an excellent run blocker and good pass blocker.  He understands his role in the middle and who to chip and who to pick up.  

This is a big get in my opinion and shouldn't affect the recruiting of Webb.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Very excited to have a center coming into the fold. It does sting a little everytime we accept a 3* knowing we're not getting the 5* at the same position. However, I'm glad for us to get anyone if it'll start getting a ball rolling. Those on here way more in the know seem high on him so I'll take it as a win.

War Eagle

Most years don't have any 5* Cs. Webb in this class is the 1st 5 * C in the past 11 years. In fact there have only been 3 5 * Cs in the past 20 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He committed, had to get mom's ok, over the weekend. As you can see. 

As a huge fan of Jon Burt's tape who was excited for him to come on board I WILL NEVER EVER take for granted getting the parents OK again. That was heartbreaking for us.

He still has a senior year of HS to play so there's still time for his ranking to rise... But considering he's already committed now to Auburn and not a bell-cow school, he won't be getting that 5th star

I don't know anything about this kid, but for those not from Georgia, Grayson plays at the highest Georgia classification level and is a top tier team. So when his coach said he's their best offensive lineman, that gives me the warm and fuzzies. Plus he has near perfect "center size".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

He still has a senior year of HS to play so there's still time for his ranking to rise... But considering he's already committed now to Auburn and not a bell-cow school, he won't be getting that 5th star

A *lot* of our recruits have gained stars after committing to us the last few years. I suspect it will happen again here. But, as previously mentioned, 5* centers are extremely rare and, no, this guy probably wouldn't jump to 5 stars no matter where he committed. 

First of all War Eagle and welcome to Auburn. :wareagle:

There are multiple things I like about this. One while looking at film on Wanya Morris Grimes likes what he saw that is the reason he offered and we really need a Center for the future. Two when the kid comes to campus Gus gives him the offer and he wants to commit right then but we tell him to wait to be sure and after talking with his Mom he commits. That is classy. 

Finally I am hoping it helps us get one or both of his teammates but even if it doesn't I watched his film this is a really good get.

• Like 1

He said he's shutting it down. 

Could end up following Deshaun Davis and Shaun Shivers as "really awesome, bizarrely overlooked football player and dude who commits early and starts recruiting his butt off for us". Never too early for unreasonable expectations.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This is a kid who could ball out this summer and have a great season and move up in the rankings. It is not like he wont’t get noticed with everyone there to watch OP & WM.

Edited by AlaskanFAN

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Correct he won’t come close to 5* but he’s rated an 82 now.  I could easily see him moving up to around 87-89 rating which would put him high 3 or low 4 rating.  I definitely expect an AU bump for this one.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He said he's shutting it down. 

Could end up following Deshaun Davis and Shaun Shivers as "really awesome, bizarrely overlooked football player and dude who commits early and starts recruiting his butt off for us". Never too early for unreasonable expectations.

I'm excited if that is the case! Love when kids shut it out and never waiver. I understand why more don't but a lot of kids give the ole "I plan on committing early and focusing on my senior year." Then we're at National Signing Day waiting to see if a Mom is going to storm off crying lol.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm excited if that is the case! Love when kids shut it out and never waiver. I understand why more don't but a lot of kids give the ole "I plan on committing early and focusing on my senior year." Then we're at National Signing Day waiting to see if a Mom is going to storm off crying lol.

Brother, ain't it the truth.

Hopefully Clark falls into that "I'm gonna ride with Auburn because they were there first" category (sorry, Minnesota and Temple and you other little fellas). We'll see. I'm optimistic. I barely know anything about this guy, just a few similarities with some other guys in the past. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Brother, ain't it the truth.

Hopefully Clark falls into that "I'm gonna ride with Auburn because they were there first" category (sorry, Minnesota and Temple and you other little fellas). We'll see. I'm optimistic. I barely know anything about this guy, just a few similarities with some other guys in the past. 

Same here, didn't know too much about him before. I just hope this means we can get it into gear. It's frightening what some of our rivals have already started building in the 2019 class.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Same here, didn't know too much about him before. I just hope this means we can get it into gear. It's frightening what some of our rivals have already started building in the 2019 class.

I hear ya on numbers, but the quality of the kids we've got in the fold so far is about as high as any start we've had that I can remember. So I'm not going to tell you to stop being nervous, lol, but I am extreeeeeeemely pleased with the names on our (very short) list of commits. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We aren't getting Webb. 

This is a huge pickup at C.(Kid is in) He is a monster and plays big boy football. Smart and mean. Love this kid. 

So then, we agree that recruiting Clark has nothing to do with Webb. Cool.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:27 PM, corchjay said:

No clue why this kid is so lowly rated.  From his hudl video he's very good on his assignments and an excellent run blocker and good pass blocker.  He understands his role in the middle and who to chip and who to pick up.  

This is a big get in my opinion and shouldn't affect the recruiting of Webb.  

Chad Simmons from Rivals says he expects Clark to get a bump when the new ratings come out. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We aren't getting Webb. 

The word I heard from someone who would know is that this kid will be the steal of the recruiting class. Don't let the three stars fool you. 

• Like 2