2019 3* C Jakai Clark Decommitted from AU (Update 9/3/18 )

WFE12

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

Absolutely!

Pruitt knows how to tell a kid what they want to hear, he knows the parent angle and he knows how to sell a program and the potential of that program because he learned from some of the best in the business.    He recruited for Rush Probst at Hoover - Nick Saban on 2 different stints - he worked side by side with Lance Thompson at uat when that staff pulled in some of Saban's first gold classes which started uat on a roll that yet to let up.  He had a stint under Jimbo Fisher at FSU......

No doubt. You start with that pedigree and you can already sell ice to Eskimos. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Has this kid flipped? Our staff needs to let Clark know under no uncertain terms that if he wants to stay an Auburn Tiger, he needs to start acting like one. He needs to be let known that it is a honor to be selected to have the opportunity to play for Auburn. If not, he needs to be shown the door and told that there are plenty other kids that would jump at the opportunity to be an Auburn Tiger.

We need to get the point across that we are offering you a chance to play for a school that will compete for championships and we are giving you a great education. Before you commit to us, you need to be 110% that you will honor your commitment to Auburn. This kid needs to be given a lesson in tough love and that we want him. However, if he has any inclination of changing his mind and flipping to another school that no scholarship will be offered from Auburn.

By committing to Auburn means you will not visit any other schools period. If you do, you lose your scholarship period with no exceptions. If we lose this kid, we are not losing a high priority recruit that is a lower tier 3 star lineman.  We need to make sure that each young man that commits to us is committing to us 110% and we are committed 110% to him. We need to establish a rule with no exceptions concerning being 110% committed to Auburn, and Auburn being 110% committed to each recruit.    

We do this, then the Pruitts, Smarts, and other SEC coaches will be put on notice that we will not tolerate our recruits being flipped to their school. 

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, doc4aday said:

Has this kid flipped? Our staff needs to let Clark know under no uncertain terms that if he wants to stay an Auburn Tiger, he needs to start acting like one. He needs to be let known that it is a honor to be selected to have the opportunity to play for Auburn. If not, he needs to be shown the door and told that there are plenty other kids that would jump at the opportunity to be an Auburn Tiger.

We need to get the point across that we are offering you a chance to play for a school that will compete for championships and we are giving you a great education. Before you commit to us, you need to be 110% that you will honor your commitment to Auburn. This kid needs to be given a lesson in tough love and that we want him. However, if he has any inclination of changing his mind and flipping to another school that no scholarship will be offered from Auburn.

By committing to Auburn means you will not visit any other schools period. If you do, you lose your scholarship period with no exceptions. If we lose this kid, we are not losing a high priority recruit that is a lower tier 3 star lineman.  We need to make sure that each young man that commits to us is committing to us 110% and we are committed 110% to him. We need to establish a rule with no exceptions concerning being 110% committed to Auburn, and Auburn being 110% committed to each recruit.    

We do this, then the Pruitts, Smarts, and other SEC coaches will be put on notice that we will not tolerate our recruits being flipped to their school. 

Mate, that really isn't how recruiting works on the college level, or in real life.  For any job.  If there is a better offer, you listen...

That's 101.  It's a hard lesson to learn, but once you do, you find ways to make it work in your advantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:07 PM, doc4aday said:

Are you serious? 

What makes you think Auburn is in a position to man handle recruits, or to place demands and ultimatums on a kid months before he signs his LOI?  My God, that would be a quickest way possible to watch a kid cut AU from his list and never take another glance.:dead:

• Thanks 1

Not to mention the insanity of "putting the other coaches on notice" by putting any kid they talk to right back on the market for the taking. 

I don't think Doc really thought that one through. 

PS- Clark is not just some "lower tier 3 star lineman"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Mate, that really isn't how recruiting works on the college level, or in real life.  For any job.  If there is a better offer, you listen...

That's 101.  It's a hard lesson to learn, but once you do, you find ways to make it work in your advantage.

I understand this completely, but just want our coaches to make sure that each recruit we pursue knows what Auburn is all about.  Auburn is a special place and offers a student something he or she will not find in another school. I knew when I made my post that it would create some controversy, but wanted to get across the Auburn experience that no other school really has to offer. I consider Auburn to be the "Camelot" of colleges in the SEC and beyond and our coaches need to do all they can do to get this across to recruits looking for a school.

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Are you serious? 

What makes you think Auburn is in a position to man handle recruits, or to place demands and ultimatums on a kid months before he signs his LOI?  My God, that would be a quickest way possible to watch a kid cut AU from his list and never take another glance.:dead:

I knew this would create controversy and totally understand where you are coming from. My point is that we need to make sure that each recruit we pursue knows and appreciates the Auburn experience  that they will not find in any other school. Each recruit needs to be treated with honesty and respect and needs to be immersed in the Auburn experience and should be able to take a step back and realize what a special place Auburn is and that they will not find this experience in any other school.  I consider Auburn to be the "Camelot" of schools in the SEC and beyond. 

We are at a crossroad with where we stand in the SEC with all of the new coaching changes in the SEC.  We need to develop and hone the edge sharper than any of our rival SEC schools with presenting Auburn as a premier high caliber school that is very difficult to surpass. I think that Saban presents each recruit that commits to his school that flipping or spending time at another rival school is grounds for losing his scholarship. If I am wrong in this, I will be the first to correct myself.

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not to mention the insanity of "putting the other coaches on notice" by putting any kid they talk to right back on the market for the taking. 

I don't think Doc really thought that one through. 

PS- Clark is not just some "lower tier 3 star lineman"

I knew this would create controversy and I did leave too much on the table that should have been cleaned up. The point I was trying to get across is for our coaches to sell our recruits that Auburn is a special place that no other school in the SEC has to offer.  At one point, each of us came to the realization that Auburn is a special place that no other school can offer. I guess I was too hard in my assessment of how recruits should be treated.

I am tired of seeing other schools surpassing us on the recruiting circle. I have been in foul mood the past few days as per my wife's assessment so I need to chill a bit mates! 

44 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I knew this would create controversy and I did leave too much on the table that should have been cleaned up. The point I was trying to get across is for our coaches to sell our recruits that Auburn is a special place that no other school in the SEC has to offer.  At one point, each of us came to the realization that Auburn is a special place that no other school can offer. I guess I was too hard in my assessment of how recruits should be treated.

I am tired of seeing other schools surpassing us on the recruiting circle. I have been in foul mood the past few days as per my wife's assessment so I need to chill a bit mates! 

Sorry for whatever is fouling the mood, Doc. May your weather turn fair soon. War Eagle.

• Thanks 1

Hmm. I wonder why the business about the coaches being pissed. This some deep cover black ops business? Season doesn't start for a few weeks. Let's get weird.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

He’s just trying to cover his butt publicly

Can’t say I blame him. Doc must’ve put some fear in him

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Benefit of what doubt? He lied to the staff about not being able to get to the barbecue. Now with that said, if he mends things with the staff then I’m good.

As to why he went to Tennessee . He doesn’t have to mend anything with the staff.Did they pull his scholarship? No? Then I am pretty sure he is good with the staff. In fact, I am pretty sure he has already had on going communication with the staff. People need to take a chill pill. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

He’s just trying to cover his butt publicly

This was the answer to my question.

You took me too seriously. You sure you're not taking the Clark deal a little too seriously, too?

Just wouldn't be the recruiting board without a little drama. Thanks for providing the fuel Clark! ?

Edited by gravejd
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I can hear humor a lot better than read it 99% of the time.

That's why I don't like texting !! I'm old school I guess but I'd still rather talk to someone if possible.

Seems to me that it sounds similar to certain players being at an AU recruiting function only for AU to find out they were "recruiting" for another school (bammer in that case) and we all got upset.

Tables turned? :whistle:

• Like 2

Free article on rivals said Jakai originally told the staff he wasn’t going to make it cause owen’s car was full and he wasn’t going to Tennessee. Morris, his best friend, offered him a chance to go to Tennessee with him instead of just staying home all weekend and jakai made a last second decision to do it but forgot to tell the coaches. He said the coaches scolded him not for his decision to go, but for his communication. And that he’s looking forward to the first home game so he can sit down with the coaches and apologize in person even though he’s already cleared the air for the most part.

Edited by wareagle13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

Free article on rivals said Jakai originally told the staff he wasn’t going to make it cause owen’s car was full and he wasn’t going to Tennessee. Morris, his best friend, offered him a chance to go to Tennessee with him instead of just staying home all weekend and jakai made a last second decision to do it but forgot to tell the coaches. He said the coaches scolded him not for his decision to go, but for his communication. And that he’s looking forward to the first home game so he can sit down with the coaches and apologize in person even though he’s already cleared the air for the most part.

There we go. Resolved.

• Like 1