2019 3* C Jakai Clark Decommitted from AU (Update 9/3/18 )

WFE12

drink.gif

So uh... this clearly means we're getting Clark right??? Right?!

this will lock us in for Webb ... I'm sure that is what the master plan is ... :)

if clark ends up elsewhere, it will be a bummer.  sounded like he may have been underrated.  this is the one time where i actually thought we'd get a kid to flip another to us.  i guess it did, but in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I understand.  I just think that it may look better if it “appears” that Auburn pulled his offer prior to the kid publicly announcing his decommittment. Even though the coaches can’t publicly mention the kid by name,

mutual parting of ways implies in part an offer is being pulled.

I would think they could mention to a recruiting service that they are rescinding an offer at a certain position.

That happens on rare occasions. Staffs talking about pulling offers more than rarely probably wouldn't go over well with high school coaches or recruits for later recruiting.

10 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

this is the one time where i actually thought we'd get a kid to flip another to us.  i guess it did, but in the wrong direction.

Wanya hasn't gotten Clark to flip. JC is not a target for UT. He just went along with Wanya on the visit just to go.

well it sounds like to me JC has stepped on it with a pair of track shoes...………….

it is always about choices, be they good or bad, 

and for him this was  not a good one, 

• Like 1

Clark seems to be getting more respect from recruiters but is still underrated IMO. Regardless his rating hasn't improved to the point that he can be playing games with our staff or any  other staff for that matter. I'm sure he has several other offers but does he have a committable offer from UT?

So...we felt he was actually lying and told him we need to move on? And apparently his interest level in us was to the point where he was like, “Okay”? Life doesn’t make sense anymore 

4 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

So...we felt he was actually lying and told him we need to move on? And apparently his interest level in us was to the point where he was like, “Okay”? Life doesn’t make sense anymore 

This scenario and the idea that we cut him loose doesn't make any sense on the surface of it. Now, there may be more to it than what we know but information available to the public and AU and Clarke parting ways because of that information makes zero sense. If we've truly moved on from Clarke, it will be because of some things that we fans don't know about.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Wasn't a we felt thing. He did, maybe inadvertently, lie. He told the staff he wasn't going to visit anywhere in late July because he didn't have a ride. An opportunity came up for him to go & hang out w/ Wanya at UT so he went without first letting the staff know. He also didn't tell the staff while he was there or when he got home. The staff had to ask him about it. Not a good look when, at the very least, when it appears you are trying to hide something.

As for the rest of your post I'm not sure how the details of that happened. I just know it's being reported as mutual parting but I would be surprised if it was staff initiated.

Edited by ellitor

12 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Anybody know what this kid's thought process was?

Not sure even the staff knows.

12 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Is there a backstory here?

More than what's been provided?

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

More than what's been provided?

Seems a pretty harsh punishment to me if all he did was what's been provided. Especially for a guy who is said to be a very good prospect- JB hand picked him out of the crowd- and who is really tight with one of the 2 jewels of our class and who was very vocally all in after committing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems a pretty harsh punishment to me if all he did was what's been provided. Especially for a guy who is said to be a very good prospect- JB hand picked him out of the crowd- and who is really tight with one of the 2 jewels of our class and who was very vocally all in after committing. 

Reading the tea leaves I don't think the staff is as high on him as your post makes it out to be. Looks like his mistake opened the door for the staff to go in a different direction on guys they may like as much or more. TBH I think the staff liked him enough to take him as a project since he had 2 highly valued teammates the staff wanted badly. Owen is solid to AU & Wanya to UT so that's a nonfactor now. Also the staff feels they are in the thick of it for Webb & may lead for Putnam. If fortunes are good for AU there would not be enough room in the class to have Jones, Webb, Putnam, & Clark all as interior OL in the class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Reading the tea leaves I don't think the staff is as high on him as your post makes it out to be. Looks like his mistake opened the door for the staff to go in a different direction on guys they may like as much or more. TBH I think the staff liked him enough to take him as a project since he had 2 highly valued teammates the staff wanted badly. Owen is solid to AU & Wanya to UT so that's a nonfactor now. Also the staff feels they are in the thick of it for Webb & may lead for Putnam. If fortunes are good for AU there would not be enough room in the class to have Jones, Webb, Putnam, & Clark all as interior OL in the class.

Gotcha, and thanks. For my dense noggin, that would be the "more to the story" that makes it all make perfect sense for me.

Clark has always been a sentimental favorite of mine and I probably viewed his entire recruitment through tinted glasses.

Best of luck, young man. You'll land in the right place. 

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

may lead for Putnam. If fortunes are good for AU there would not be enough room in the class to have Jones, Webb, Putnam, & Clark all as interior OL in the class.

I had to go back and read to remember who Putman was.   We don't talk about him much at all

31 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I had to go back and read to remember who Putman was.   We don't talk about him much at all

That's because FSU had a huge lead until recently apparently.

I just re-watched Putnam's film. He impressed me with what I saw. The caveat is always it is highlight film and you don't see the ones where he is beaten and you don't know the quality of the guy he is blocking.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I just re-watched Putnam's film. He impressed me with what I saw. The caveat is always it is highlight film and you don't see the ones where he is beaten and you don't know the quality of the guy he is blocking.

#91 player in the nation, #3 OG, #12 player in Florida. It's safe to assume he's a damned good football player and we'd be lucky to land him. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

#91 player in the nation, #3 OG, #12 player in Florida. It's safe to assume he's a damned good football player and we'd be lucky to land him. 

And gives me yet another reason to root for Va Tech Monday night.

• Like 1

I would be happy to get Putnam with Clark parting ways with us.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

See that makes more sense. It seems like we’ve taken more crap from recruits than that before, but if we have other guys ahead of him, I understand.

22 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

See that makes more sense. It seems like we’ve taken more crap from recruits than that before, but if we have other guys ahead of him, I understand.

Other than Webb it's not as much as guys ahead of him as since he made a trust issue mistake the staff feels or knows they can get a guy at the same position they like maybe near as good & potentially better. And yes, the higher a staff likes a recruit the potentially more the staff will put up with.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree my comment was more about highlight films not showing everything just the good side of every player.. That is why coaches see game films or scout at games and at camps.

• Like 2