Lindsey more wrinkles in Offense

ToomersStreet

Just curious to see what anyone has heard. Is Chip adding any new wrinkles to the offense this year? I read an article saying tight ends might actually catch the ball this season.  are  there going to be new plays?  A slight change in philosophy? Bueller, Bueller?

• WarTiger changed the title to Lindsey more wrinkles in Offense

5 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Just curious to see what anyone has heard. Is Chip adding any new wrinkles to the offense this year? I read an article saying tight ends might actually catch the ball this season.  are  there going to be new plays?  A slight change in philosophy? Bueller, Bueller?

You're post reminds me of the way the old Batman television series used to end. Several questions followed by the familiar "tune in tomorrow, same Bat time, same Bat channel". I think the answers to your questions are that we will have to watch and see. I'm not holding my breath on the tight end question however. 

If they would put McClain at TE we would have production. Have to get this dude on the field. 

39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

If they would put McClain at TE we would have production. Have to get this dude on the field. 

He had a fun catch yesterday.

46 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

He's big, fast and continually pisses his coaches off. He's made one nice catch in a game and another yesterday in the A-day game. We've had a gazilion players pass through here with a world of physical ability that never cut it for various reasons. I'm not expecting to see much of McClain on the field until I first see one or more coaches bragging about his hustle and attitude. We signed four WR prospects this past recruiting cycle and tried to sign a 5th. That tells me we don't like the depth situation at WR. It would be best for both AU and McClain if he pulls it together but if he wants to see the field more, the change will have to start with him.

15 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

He had a fun catch yesterday.

Dropped one right in his hands going across the middle too.....the kind he and our other receivers (Hastings not included) seem to have problems with. 

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dropped one right in his hands going across the middle too.....the kind he and our other receivers (Hastings not included) seem to have problems with. 

Saw that as well. 

Hes a sophomore right? This could be a big growing up year for him. 

However, on his bobbled catch, initialy he caught it beautifully with his hands before smoke raked the pocket.  Not a lot of our receivers catch with their hands like he did. On the middle screen he let the ball get to his body.

And if you watch the play, it was the double screen that Andy Fuller ran to perfection against UF.

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He's big, fast and continually pisses his coaches off. He's made one nice catch in a game and another yesterday in the A-day game. We've had a gazilion players pass through here with a world of physical ability that never cut it for various reasons. I'm not expecting to see much of McClain on the field until I first see one or more coaches bragging about his hustle and attitude. We signed four WR prospects this past recruiting cycle and tried to sign a 5th. That tells me we don't like the depth situation at WR. It would be best for both AU and McClain if he pulls it together but if he wants to see the field more, the change will have to start with him.

And to think I thought we signed four WR's this last year because we only signed one the year before and removed Davis from the team, silly me.

What concerns me with WR's is the simple fact that catching the ball seems to be such a challenge for the last 10 years.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

However, on his bobbled catch, initialy he caught it beautifully with his hands before smoke raked the pocket.  Not a lot of our receivers catch with their hands like he did. On the middle screen he let the ball get to his body.

And if you watch the play, it was the double screen that Andy Fuller ran to perfection against UF.

Geez.... bring out the time capsule. Somewhere Terry Bowden is smiling.

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

And to think I thought we signed four WR's this last year because we only signed one the year before and removed Davis from the team, silly me.

What concerns me with WR's is the simple fact that catching the ball seems to be such a challenge for the last 10 years.

Especially when they're wide open and the ball hits them in a bad place.

*Sigh* Same crap different toilet. I myself have chosen to ignore all mentions of TE whether it be using the ones on the team or recruiting...I suggest you do the same and get that out of your head at least for this season. And on the new plays front.....heck if we know...Heck if Chip knows!

On 4/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, Mikey said:

Certainly fair for we fans to wonder what those reasons are. 

That said, there have been fairly direct comments from the staff addressing McClain's situation and you are right. They need him to give them something different/more. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Certainly fair for we fans to wonder what those reasons are. 

That said, there have been fairly direct comments from the staff addressing McClain's situation and you are right. They need him to give them something different/more. 

Almost all of these guys "look the part " or they wouldn't be here...it's the one's who don't look the part who often get overlooked....and have to work their tails off just to get a coach to pay attention to them. 

The thing about those natural athlete looking guys.......eventually they  have to also show coaches that they can get it done. 

JMO, but vast majority of players who don't live up to their "potential" .....it's on them, not the coaches.   True, we have a bunch of coaches but with 100 or more kids on the field for practice  there is a modest amount of one-on-one time for them as individuals.....it's on them to do the work. 

If by "wrinkles" you mean, they'll promise more TE involvement, say they need to get the ball into "name player here"'s hands more before the season but then during the season say we've got to run the ball more and then run one back 90% of the time after game 4 and.....

Sure.  This offense will be a big ol' Shar-pei.

21 hours ago, WFE12 said:

*Sigh* Same crap different toilet. I myself have chosen to ignore all mentions of TE whether it be using the ones on the team or recruiting...I suggest you do the same and get that out of your head at least for this season. And on the new plays front.....heck if we know...Heck if Chip knows!

True.  Plus, the TE or HB (whatever we call it) will be needed to help the OL block on runs and passes. 

Archived