A-Day MVP Nick Coe's study time

WFE12

A-Day MVP Nick Coe turning study time into dominance

• by Michael Niziolek

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn's quarterbacks didn't have much time to throw the ball in the first half of the team's annual exhibition game on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Coach Gus Malzahn tried to help them out staying in the ear of the head official from his spot behind the action allowing plays to keep going with multiple pass-rushers in the backfield.

One play he had no choice but to blow dead was Nick Coe's safety early in the first quarter. Coe, playing for the Orange Team (first-team defense), was on quarterback Joey Gatewood before the freshman had a chance to look down field. Malzahn signaled for a safety with both his arms in the air before anyone else. Coe was named the team's A-Day Defensive MVP with two tackles — both for a loss — with the sack.

Coe knew he was going to blow up the play before the ball was even snapped when he saw the tackle overset (to the outside). 

“You just study on film," Coe said. "If the tackle is going to overset you, you go inside. If a tackle be on his heels, you can bull rush him or do anything you want. I was focused on the tackle even though I had a great get off and everything

Coe, who redshirted his first year on the Plains, made the SEC All-Freshman team last fall with 29 total tackles (4.5 for a loss) with two sacks and six quarterback hurries. The defensive lineman is doing his "homework" to be the impact player the coaching staff envisions. It paid off for the 6-foot-5, 270-pounder on A-Day as he was front and center for the first-team offense's dominant performance in the first half before the afternoon ended for many of the starters at halftime. 

The Blue Team went into the break with negative five yards of total offense on 22 total plays and no first downs.

“If you study film, it’s just liking being in class and reading over the book the teacher gave you," Coe said. "If you study the book, the better you get in class and the more you know. If you study the film, the easier everything will come. Studying film is one of the best things you should do in order to help yourself and others.”

The lineman admits getting through high school mostly on talent alone — "I was just going off basic stuff — but seeing what it takes to succeed at the collegiate level opened Coe's eyes. He credits defensive line coach Rodney Garner for preaching the importance of study time, which is made easier with the iPads given to players updated weekly with new film. 

“You have to make yourself to it, it’s homework," Coe said. "You have to do it on your own time. It’s something you have to make a commitment to.”

That commitment has paid off for Coe, who is able to confidently line up anywhere on Auburn's defensive line. 

"He's different, man," Marlon Davidson said. "He's a different freak. Guy can be on heels and still make plays. It's just weird how his body moves. He's a wrestler so he should get out of bad positions like that, but if he could ever turn everything on at the same time, it'll be crazy."

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Man child this guy is. Our defensive line are straight savages .

I can remember his recruitment heating up late, and chatter from coaches was that he was a diamond in the rough.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Our OL shouldn't be that easy to read

lol

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Who is 66?

Bailey Sharp. Our no.2 LT. You know what I might give him the benefit of the doubt and say he might have slipped from the wet turf but man that was terrible.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Bailey Sharp. Our no.2 LT. You know what I might give him the benefit of the doubt and say he might have slipped from the wet turf but man that was terrible.

That was embarrassing,. A bull rush was not needed.   I am very worried about our Oline.  

17 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

That was embarrassing,. A bull rush was not needed.   I am very worried about our Oline.  

Still got ample time to Sep.1 plus Tega is our man there anyway and he has made great strides.

21 hours ago, WFE12 said:

lol

OMG!!

I was hoping that was some walk on, practice team player.

Not pretty.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, WFE12 said:

Grimes recruited him, hopefully Grimes can fix him. He definitely looks like he needs to turn on the "mean" that Grimes likes to bring out in his guys.

Archived