Null



Sign in to follow this  
WarTiger

Softball vs. Tennessee - game 3

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

For me, as much as I enjoyed the win, it was equally worth the 5 hour round trip drive to see Moss get pulled in the 5th inning.  Her antics just seem so excessive.  Also, she steps over the front of the circle circle on many of her pitches.....is that a violation?  

No violation unless she leaps out without dragging her push foot. Pitchers are allowed to drag their push foot and dragging is enforced loosely.  The pitcher is not supposed to be allowed to drag and replant the push foot and push off again.  I see it all the time though and have yet to see it called this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Just glad we took the series from Ut been a few years since that has happen

We beat them 2-1 in the series in Auburn in 2015.  We scored 24 runs in the series, and they scored 19..  Although we are the poorest hitting team in the conference, it isn't just Auburn that can't score any more.  Are the pitchers that much better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We beat them 2-1 in the series in Auburn in 2015.  We scored 24 runs in the series, and they scored 19..  Although we are the poorest hitting team in the conference, it isn't just Auburn that can't score any more.  Are the pitchers that much better?

I was wondering the same thing after Florida lost to UCF and there was a ridiculous low number of runs in the LSU ole miss series (and one of their games went to 19 innings either tied at zero or 1).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new "any part of the foot outside of the batters box" rule has cost teams runs. Maybe not an entire explanation for decreased run production, but certainly part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

The new "any part of the foot outside of the batters box" rule has cost teams runs. Maybe not an entire explanation for decreased run production, but certainly part of it.

Probably so....just watched parts of a few games over the weekend but saw the rule called a number of times....some were pretty flagrant with batter almost stepping on the plate during the swing.....not sure what impact it's having on scoring but gotta have a lot of slap hitters worrying about foot placement and how they are swinging the bat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

The new "any part of the foot outside of the batters box" rule has cost teams runs. Maybe not an entire explanation for decreased run production, but certainly part of it.

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We beat them 2-1 in the series in Auburn in 2015.  We scored 24 runs in the series, and they scored 19..  Although we are the poorest hitting team in the conference, it isn't just Auburn that can't score any more.  Are the pitchers that much better?

In 2015 not only did we take 2 of 3 in the regular season, we beat Tennessee in the SEC tournament 6-5 (in 9 innings) then beat them again at the WCWS 4-2.

2016 lost 2   game 3 was cancelled

2017 - didn't play each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

In 2015 not only did we take 2 of 3 in the regular season, we beat Tennessee in the SEC tournament 6-5 (in 9 innings) then beat them again at the WCWS 4-2.

2016 lost 2   game 3 was cancelled

2017 - didn't play each other.

Well damn never mind...................:poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Are the pitchers that much better?

To a certain extent, yes.  Bigger, stronger, better conditioned.  Pitches in the upper 60's and low 70's are a lot more common now.  A pitcher stands 43 feet from the plate and the circle is an 8 ft. radius.  As some have said, some pitchers are outside the circle or at the edge when they release the pitch.  43 - 8 = 35.  You have 35 feet to read the spin of the ball, judge the speed and decide what you want to do.  There aren't too many drills you can do to help your reaction time, so advantage goes to the pitcher.  They are also more prepared due to extensive film study.  Coaches are getting more creative with how they use pitchers.  It's getting more common to see 2 or 3 pitchers in a game which give batters more looks and prevents in game adjustments.  Pitchers may not go through an order more than once or twice, which prevents a batter from making adjustments.  The Weekly's outsmarted themselves on Sunday when they reinserted Caylan Arnold.  When they took her out, we were getting solid shots off her that were just not there.  When she came back in Rivera was ready.  Remember, she hit one to the wall her previous at bat.

One other note.  They mentioned during the Bammer - UF game last night that UGA lost their top pitcher for the season.  Huge blow to the Dogs.  Brittany Gray was 16-1 with a 0.48 ERA with 12 complete games.  She's also a senior, so that wraps up her career at UGA.  Sorry any athlete ends their career that way.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel the same for Ms. Gray.  Fortunately for UGA, they are the best hitting team in the conference.  And BTW, Rivera hit that homer off Moss.  Arnold started the game, but we were hitting it solidly much of the game.  Three balls were caught on the warning track, including that over the head grab by Ayala in right.  In the 5th, McCrackin hit that long sac fly to right center, then Shea doubled off the wall, then TanSnow singled to right.  That's when Moss came back in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry OW, but it WAS Arnold that gave up the 3 run dinger.  She started the game and was replaced by Moss in the 4th.  Moss started the 5th and was replaced by Arnold after TanSnow's single.  Rivera was the next batter and she parked it on a 1-1 pitch.  BTW, only the starting pitcher can be re-inserted after leaving the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was Arnold because i made the comment after the dinger, Moss had Rivera's number and surprised UT didn't wait 1 more batter before switching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

It was Arnold because i made the comment after the dinger, Moss had Rivera's number and surprised UT didn't wait 1 more batter before switching 

Like I said, the Weekly's outsmarted themselves and it couldn't happen to a finer bunch.  Remember, no fruit sucks like the Big Orange!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, saminbama said:

Sorry OW, but it WAS Arnold that gave up the 3 run dinger.  She started the game and was replaced by Moss in the 4th.  Moss started the 5th and was replaced by Arnold after TanSnow's single.  Rivera was the next batter and she parked it on a 1-1 pitch.  BTW, only the starting pitcher can be re-inserted after leaving the game.

I stand corrected, went back and looked at the highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this