State of baseball team

We seem to be snake bitten this year with making untimely mistakes, inability to perform in the clutch, and overall incredibly terrible luck. What is really disappointing is this “script” that each game seems to follow. When Arkansas scores 2 runs to make the score 4-2, I almost quit watching there and then today, because it was almost like, well darn, they’re going to come all the way back, and we will be stagnant on offense. I saw that and the walkoff hit coming from a mile away today. 

I don’t want to sit here and say I gave up on the guys but man was it hard to watch being about 80% sure of what was going to happen. Are they in a funk or do some major changes need to be made to our lineup and attitude towards the season? Everyone has bad days on the diamond, but since Coker gave up the homer in Kentucky and we went on to lose that game, this team hasn’t been the same. Offense goes cold for multiple innings at a time, and defense seems unfocused and uninterested. 

Just some thoughts. 

Edit: Just checked RPI from Warren Nolan and even after getting swept, Tigers still have the number 10 RPI in the country. If that doesn’t represent just how good the SEC is I don’t know what will 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We seem to be snake bitten this year with making untimely mistakes, inability to perform in the clutch, and overall incredibly terrible luck. What is really disappointing is this “script” that each game seems to follow. When Arkansas scores 2 runs to make the score 4-2, I almost quit watching there and then today, because it was almost like, well darn, they’re going to come all the way back, and we will be stagnant on offense. I saw that and the walkoff hit coming from a mile away today. 

I don’t want to sit here and say I gave up on the guys but man was it hard to watch being about 80% sure of what was going to happen. Are they in a funk or do some major changes need to be made to our lineup and attitude towards the season? Everyone has bad days on the diamond, but since Coker gave up the homer in Kentucky and we went on to lose that game, this team hasn’t been the same. Offense goes cold for multiple innings at a time, and defense seems unfocused and uninterested. 

Just some thoughts. 

Edit: Just checked RPI from Warren Nolan and even after getting swept, Tigers still have the number 10 RPI in the country. If that doesn’t represent just how good the SEC is I don’t know what will 

So we get credit for losing to good teams huh?   :-\   think how good things would look if we were to beat a few more of them.  

Uninterested is unfair.  I can guarantee you they care very much. IMHO the transition to SEC play was a shock to some of them and they went into a slump. The struggle can be contagious. Not having Mitchell and Greenhill did not help. CBT needs to get the team to re-focus and get the fire back. 

Poor officiating has really hurt Auburn's morale and changed the momentum of the game at critical stages in each of those games where they occured. What I want to know is this.....are the officials making those errors across the board or is it just in Auburn's games? From behind the plate to the homer today it seems as though Auburn rarely gets the benefit of anything. It seems very strange at this point how the calls are going....

33 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Just some thoughts. 

I would say "they are what we thought they were."  This team was picked second to last in the West and right now they are meeting that expectation.  It's really easy to dismiss everything by saying "it's just the depth of this conference," but...it's just the depth of this conference.  Remember, AU hit a 7 game conference skid last year and finished 16-14 in the league.  This was helped by an opening sweep of UF,  Hypotheticals don't always work because you can find points on either side of their argument, but I'm pretty confident in saying if Auburn doesn't meet UF in the SEC opener last year, that record could easily have been 13-17, 14-16.  

I remember making a remark last season similar to the gist of "I hope CBT hasn't set himself up to be the victim of his own success" by getting Auburn so close to tasting new heights so early.  I believe that might be the case.  From that first 8-22 conference season in 2016, it was always going to be a tough rebuild because the Auburn program had relied on JuCo bandaids for so long to fill spots.  The program had to be built from a good starting stock of freshmen.

With Eduoard and Williams and Burns et al coming in this year, I believe that foundation is just now beginning to be built.  Until it continues to build up, this Auburn team seems to suffer from the deficiencies of its past decade: inconsistent hitting, never able to get two lockdown weekend pitchers at the same time (usually have one stud and one upcoming stud who goes through growing pains and excels the next year with the exception of the Thompson/Mize combo that I think we can attribute a good portion of last year's success to), and, honestly, a just above dumpster fire status of a bullpen.  As we have seen so far in conference play, we are facing teams with essentially 2.5 aces on them; no more Sunday Run Day stopgap starters in this conference.  It pains me to say it, but I don't think anyone here would argue with the fact Auburn allowed itself to accept mediocrity in the sport of baseball while the rest of the conference was expanding facilities and getting the best talent in the nation.  Due to that, Auburn now has to play catch-up and build a program tradition from scratch.  I've always been a little ticked Auburn can't create (and what's more, doesn't even seem to have a DESIRE to create) the awesome baseball atmospheres you see in this conference (especially at MSU, Vandy, UK).  I know football is and will always be king, but it's still the South and Spring always dedicates a lot of love for the diamond.  

Your point about a good bit of last season's team returning is valid, but Keegan and Casey could hide a bit of our inconsistencies on offense last year (remember that 7 game skid came when they were battling injuries).  Without 2 studs on the bump, Auburn absolutely becomes shackled by what their offense/defense does, and currently just isn't built like the offensive juggernauts in this league to overcome even average days on the mound (and sometimes not even able to overcome pitching gems).  If the type of player that follows on offense is of the type that Williams/Edouard is, then I feel confident the inconsistency is only temporary; I just hope the commitment to Thompson and the program from the Athletics Department isn't temporary and he has time to not only grow as a head coach (early results are promising not perfect) but extend his vision for the program from a facilities view as well.

19 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I would say "they are what we thought they were."  This team was picked second to last in the West and right now they are meeting that expectation.  It's really easy to dismiss everything by saying "it's just the depth of this conference," but...it's just the depth of this conference.  Remember, AU hit a 7 game conference skid last year and finished 16-14 in the league.  This was helped by an opening sweep of UF,  Hypotheticals don't always work because you can find points on either side of their argument, but I'm pretty confident in saying if Auburn doesn't meet UF in the SEC opener last year, that record could easily have been 13-17, 14-16.  

I remember making a remark last season similar to the gist of "I hope CBT hasn't set himself up to be the victim of his own success" by getting Auburn so close to tasting new heights so early.  I believe that might be the case.  From that first 8-22 conference season in 2016, it was always going to be a tough rebuild because the Auburn program had relied on JuCo bandaids for so long to fill spots.  The program had to be built from a good starting stock of freshmen.

With Eduoard and Williams and Burns et al coming in this year, I believe that foundation is just now beginning to be built.  Until it continues to build up, this Auburn team seems to suffer from the deficiencies of its past decade: inconsistent hitting, never able to get two lockdown weekend pitchers at the same time (usually have one stud and one upcoming stud who goes through growing pains and excels the next year with the exception of the Thompson/Mize combo that I think we can attribute a good portion of last year's success to), and, honestly, a just above dumpster fire status of a bullpen.  As we have seen so far in conference play, we are facing teams with essentially 2.5 aces on them; no more Sunday Run Day stopgap starters in this conference.  It pains me to say it, but I don't think anyone here would argue with the fact Auburn allowed itself to accept mediocrity in the sport of baseball while the rest of the conference was expanding facilities and getting the best talent in the nation.  Due to that, Auburn now has to play catch-up and build a program tradition from scratch.  I've always been a little ticked Auburn can't create (and what's more, doesn't even seem to have a DESIRE to create) the awesome baseball atmospheres you see in this conference (especially at MSU, Vandy, UK).  I know football is and will always be king, but it's still the South and Spring always dedicates a lot of love for the diamond.  

Your point about a good bit of last season's team returning is valid, but Keegan and Casey could hide a bit of our inconsistencies on offense last year (remember that 7 game skid came when they were battling injuries).  Without 2 studs on the bump, Auburn absolutely becomes shackled by what their offense/defense does, and currently just isn't built like the offensive juggernauts in this league to overcome even average days on the mound (and sometimes not even able to overcome pitching gems).  If the type of player that follows on offense is of the type that Williams/Edouard is, then I feel confident the inconsistency is only temporary; I just hope the commitment to Thompson and the program from the Athletics Department isn't temporary and he has time to not only grow as a head coach (early results are promising not perfect) but extend his vision for the program from a facilities view as well.

Think this is something I needed to hear. I had forgotten Auburn dropped three at LSU in addition to being swept by UAT. Guess everyone goes through that dry spell. Maybe the culmination of grabbing a 4-0 lead and me being so unconfident in it and then squandering it really hit home. A little bit of “right” needs to happen for us in the next few weekends. 

Thompson is having to build from virtually nothing.  Even with Williams and Julien showing up strong as freshmen, we've got six regulars playing out of position.  

Venter is a 3B

Jarvis is SS

Anthony is a C

Williams is C

Julien is a 2B

Estes is a 2B

Davis is a QB (yeah, quarterback)

Only Wright and Holland are playing their "natural" positions.  And Holland may be better suited in the OF.  We really needed the true outfielders (Johnson, Ward) to be able to play this year.

Not an excuse, just makes it that much tougher.

13 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Thanks for this.  I just wish we could talk football with this much analytical thought...

I think we really don't get the building job that Coach Thompson has in front of him, and the disadvantage he has with scholarships compared to the other SEC schools.  

Patience.  The guy will build a solid program.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Thompson is having to build from virtually nothing.  Even with Williams and Julien showing up strong as freshmen, we've got six regulars playing out of position.  

Venter is a 3B

Jarvis is SS

Anthony is a C

Williams is C

Julien is a 2B

Estes is a 2B

Davis is a QB (yeah, quarterback)

Only Wright and Holland are playing their "natural" positions.  And Holland may be better suited in the OF.  We really needed the true outfielders (Johnson, Ward) to be able to play this year.

Not an excuse, just makes it that much tougher.

Going to disagree about the position thing. In baseball, you always had to be flexible and play multiple positions. Most of these guys probably played multiple field positions in high school. They mostly were all were recruited for hitting purposes (sometimes exception is catcher). Good fielders in high school are a dime a dozen, but it they can't hit they do not go to the next level. While there are intricacies associated with each infield position , if  a guy cannot play multiple positions then he better be a DH.

While I think it is way to early to make any determinations about whether CBT is the right guy or not, we just do not seem to be a very good team. Most of that is talent based which is up to him to correct. We all got lulled into thinking we were a good team due to our weak early schedule. I know a coach wants some early success, but did the team get any better facing some less than stellar teams and pitching? It is a work in process that hopefully we will see getting better.

My one gripe and this goes for most of sports. This board has gotten to be the worst about blaming umpires and officiating. Many on here seem to think umpires/officials are out there calling games to the detriment of Auburn University and in many cases the only reason we did not win some type game. The fact is, you get some bad calls and you get some good calls, but most calls are usually correct. We come across as whiny children when we bi***** about the umpiring/officiating all the time.

Mental toughness and leadership seem to be the issue right now IMO. And we don't look confident right now. We had 7 hits in the first 3 innings of the game yesterday and looked really engaged, but when Estes's HR was overturned, everything about this team went south. We started looking nervous, we started pressing and doing things we aren't good at. We aren't making the big plays and big pitches and having the big at bats when we have to have them right now. And we don't seem to have anyone that is the motivator or leader to grab teammates by the jock and pull them along or get them in line. I think all of the players are doing their best to play hard and make something happen, but I think that's part of the problem. Not sure there is a fix that Butch can implement, but the lineup change yesterday seemed to spark something with the offense. Maybe he just needs to continue tinkering with the lienup, moving guys around to see if they can help them find some confidence.

One of our big offensive issues is getting leadoff guys on base. We had 4 leadoff hitters reach in all 27 innings this week, which makes it so much more difficult to score. And we don't have a great leadoff hitter in the lineup. Plus, teams aren't giving us free bases nearly as often as we're giving them. Here's a scary stat. We're 29-101 on leadoff hitters reaching to start an inning. Of those 29 who have reached, 16 have scored, which is 55% in SEC games. So, we're producing runs at a good clip when we get the leadoff guy on, but we're not getting the leadoff guy on that often.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Going to disagree about the position thing. In baseball, you always had to be flexible and play multiple positions. Most of these guys probably played multiple field positions in high school. They mostly were all were recruited for hitting purposes (sometimes exception is catcher). Good fielders in high school are a dime a dozen, but it they can't hit they do not go to the next level. While there are intricacies associated with each infield position , if  a guy cannot play multiple positions then he better be a DH.

CBT recruited just about every one of these guys and as noted, most HS players move around during their HS days.  Schools have a limited number of scholarships and not smart to bring in a player (other than pitchers perhaps) who can only play one spot.....unless he is a serious hitter perhaps.    JMO but there should be no such excuse about a guy "playing out of position".    Maybe as noted, they are recruiting hitters and then hope to find a place they can play defensively.....that's OK but you can only take that recruiting strategy so far. Some may have preferred positions but these are the cream of the crop of HS players .....and coaches should have a grasp on what they are able to do before they offer them. 

This thread  makes me want to puke...if Butch Thompson is the right guy...team just not very good...should be able to play anywhere.  Just no effing idea, and all of this at four weekends into the season.

5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Good fielders in high school are a dime a dozen, but it they can't hit they do not go to the next level. While there are intricacies associated with each infield position , if  a guy cannot play multiple positions then he better be a DH.

There are maybe two guys on a high school baseball field at any given time who have the proper fundamentals to field and throw at a plus level.  Maybe.  One of those guys might be able to hit.  I think you underestimate the quality of the game that's being played.  Just curious if you have any attachment to high school or travel ball?

8 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Some member of the team needs to volunteer to do a slump bluster

Please explain to the unwashed amongst us.

Just now, AUGoo said:

Please explain to the unwashed amongst us.

I can't or I would have to ban myself. I will say it has to do with Mark Grace from MLB

On the up side,  we've all been uncomfortable about CBT leaving.

How likely is MSU to come looking for CBT at this point?

Personally, i think he is doing a great job.  Keep chopping wood.  We'll get there.

25 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

This thread  makes me want to puke...if Butch Thompson is the right guy...team just not very good...should be able to play anywhere.  Just no effing idea, and all of this at four weekends into the season.

This isn't based on 4 weeks observation...been this way for a year or more....last season it was excused because coaches were new and new players....but team looking more or less like last season other than a handful of exceptional prospects....  

8 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Some member of the team needs to volunteer to do a slump bluster

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

6 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

While I think it is way to early to make any determinations about whether CBT is the right guy or not, we just do not seem to be a very good team. Most of that is talent based which is up to him to correct. We all got lulled into thinking we were a good team due to our weak early schedule. I know a coach wants some early success, but did the team get any better facing some less than stellar teams and pitching? It is a work in process that hopefully we will see getting better.

My one gripe and this goes for most of sports. This board has gotten to be the worst about blaming umpires and officiating. Many on here seem to think umpires/officials are out there calling games to the detriment of Auburn University and in many cases the only reason we did not win some type game. The fact is, you get some bad calls and you get some good calls, but most calls are usually correct. We come across as whiny children when we bi***** about the umpiring/officiating all the time.

I agree with you to a point on this post but the bolded part is the kicker for me. College athletics has really started to take a decline in terms of officiating. Lots more reliance on replay and missing of blatantly obvious calls than I’ve ever seen. While the players decide the game with their actions and abilities, umpires have a job to do, and that is to call a fair game according to the rules, especially during crucial points in the game. I think what people are frustrated about is the fact that Auburn seemed to be the team that 3 incorrect calls went against my this weekend and at points in the game where the correct call could have significantly changed the scope of the game. 

While it is true that better teams make luck for themselves, Auburn has in fact gotten the shaft on some really crappy calls this season in very big parts of a game 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

This isn't based on 4 weeks observation...been this way for a year or more....last season it was excused because coaches were new and new players....but team looking more or less like last season other than a handful of exceptional prospects....  

...I'll take last season's results at this point, 64 ;D

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

There are maybe two guys on a high school baseball field at any given time who have the proper fundamentals to field and throw at a plus level.  Maybe.  One of those guys might be able to hit.  I think you underestimate the quality of the game that's being played.  Just curious if you have any attachment to high school or travel ball?

Played a lot of baseball, but mostly through coaching kids in youth/travel and having kids at high school level. Don't disagree with your thought of maybe 2 guys per team that can field and throw at a plus level. But you go to a tournament and you  could see 10 or 12 kids that had the fielding ability, but maybe see one that truly had the hitting ability for the next level. Not that I could pick them out, but mostly from high school coaches that I know.

As an over the hill official, officiating in the SEC is one of my pet peeves. As a matter of fact, one of the biggest cut I can lay on any official I observe in any sport is that they make SEC officials look great! If you refuse to, or are not able to move to get into position to make the right call, get out of the profession! There is no excuse to continuously be caught out of position at any level.

15 minutes ago, warhogone said:

As an over the hill official, officiating in the SEC is one of my pet peeves. As a matter of fact, one of the biggest cut I can lay on any official I observe in any sport is that they make SEC officials look great! If you refuse to, or are not able to move to get into position to make the right call, get out of the profession! There is no excuse to continuously be caught out of position at any level.

I’ve never experienced it, but I’m positive it is a tough job. 

The problem is, tough jobs are done every day around the world and if they are messed up, they likely mean thousands maybe millions of dollars for companies. If you can’t do the job, even if it’s hard, you shouldn’t be doing that job. I would not be as thrown off about the SEC officiating if I did not see various other levels and conferences having officiating that is not great, but at least much better. 

Archived