State of baseball team

Boom.....somebody is going to have to make the schedule change when they do the Thur-Sat series coming up.....and looks like we have two reliable starters at most right now....and even #2 is a question mark for going more than 4 or  5 innings.   This is looking even worse than the old Braves with Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They’re making it this weekend with Burns. He would move up a day, but then you could conceivably keep Mize on every Friday and Burns on every Saturday. And Burns would only have one short rest start. Then you’d just have to play musical chairs with your Sun/Thur/Sun/Thur starts the next four weeks since the Sun starter this week likely couldn’t be ready to start on Thursday. 

9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

They’re making it this weekend with Burns. He would move up a day, but then you could conceivably keep Mize on every Friday and Burns on every Saturday. And Burns would only have one short rest start. Then you’d just have to play musical chairs with your Sun/Thur/Sun/Thur starts the next four weeks since the Sun starter this week likely couldn’t be ready to start on Thursday. 

Looking right now that we might be able to get a few good innings from Burns and Mitchell as starters and then fill in the openings with Greenhill and Anderson perhaps.    Don't know about CBT but I've about lost confidence in Coker in a tight situation.  If Welby can get past the first few batters and find the plate, he can be helpful. 

One thing I'm pretty certain about...if Mize has a bad day and can't make it past 3 or 4 innings, our pitching set-up is shot for the entire weekend.  

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looking right now that we might be able to get a few good innings from Burns and Mitchell as starters and then fill in the openings with Greenhill and Anderson perhaps.    Don't know about CBT but I've about lost confidence in Coker in a tight situation.  If Welby can get past the first few batters and find the plate, he can be helpful. 

One thing I'm pretty certain about...if Mize has a bad day and can't make it past 3 or 4 innings, our pitching set-up is shot for the entire weekend.  

Yeah, we’re pretty dependent on Mize getting really deep into a game to keep our staff in tact for the weekend. It’s almost to the point that it’s a disappointment if he only goes six. If we can get 7-8 out of Mize and 6 out of Burns the rest of the season, we’re going to be in good shape to win some series down the stretch. 

Not that it means much, but Kentucky chose not to push up Sean Hjelle tonight against Florida and Singer. Kentucky and Florida played Fri-Sun series last week. Sounded like UK was taking the approach of not throwing their ace against Singer and trying to see if they can win the last two games of the series with their best two starts going Fri and Sat. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Not that it means much, but Kentucky chose not to push up Sean Hjelle tonight against Florida and Singer. Kentucky and Florida played Fri-Sun series last week. Sounded like UK was taking the approach of not throwing their ace against Singer and trying to see if they can win the last two games of the series with their best two starts going Fri and Sat. 

Considering that the cats are down 10-2 in the 9th, sounds like that has worked out OK....thus far. 

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Considering that the cats are down 10-2 in the 9th, sounds like that has worked out OK....thus far. 

Not sure what they were doing with their rotation. They started Haake, who has been their Saturday guy and who started this past Saturday at UGA. He pitched on 4 days rest and only went two innings. He was really good in those two innings, and then the wheels fell off. 

Coach Baird had some thoughts about using his ace in the second game of a series and if IRC he did that frequently. I never quite "got" what his thinking was but there's no denying he knew his stuff.

My thinking: If both pitchers were facing the same hitters I'd put Mize against any opposing pitcher. However, our batting lineup is capable of getting shutout in any game. Were I Auburn's manager I'd pitch Mize in game one vs. Florida but if Thompson does otherwise it will be hard to find fault with his decision.

It would be nice to get at least one against UF....I am for anything that helps get that done.

Archived