Anybody else being reminded of 2014?

WFE12

This season sets up similarly to 2014. Crazy successful season in the previous year which ends in failure. The following season being a vengeance-filled journey with a lot of hype. Both teams return a good bit of talent, in particular the star qb. Of course the defense this year is far and away better than 2014's but the offense...Idk if there's that much separation. I expect this year to go better than 2014 but how do you guys feel about the comparison?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see it being like that but I’d say the 2014 team was severely better off before Carl got hurt. If they had the offensive coaching of the Gus just a year before, they would’ve averaged 45 points easy 

Roc Thomas was lighting people up every touch and he barely saw the field. Quan was the third option and he was a beast that year. Uzomah was NFL bound and wasn’t even used. Jeremy was the second best SEC QB behind nick. Complete failure of a season 

I don’t think this fanbase can mentally handle another 2014

the cycle has to break sometime.  we do seem to have promising seasons followed by less than expected seasons more often than not.   Injuries will determine it as they ususally do  unless its a rival where they lose a starting qb and the backup just kills us. 

I don’t feel that way, but then I don’t react postitively or negatively to spring games. Context is everything. The team we saw Saturday will not be the same team that takes the field against UW. 

I see what you are saying.  However, our defense is lightyears ahead of the 2014 defense.  If you recall, we lost a few close games with a really bad defense.  If we even had a subpar defense, 2014 would have turned out different.  This year, we can rely on our defense more until our offense figures things out.  On top of that, we are very fortunate our kicking has upgraded (kicker is the same with another Carlson, but I expect our punting to be much better with Siposs).  Here is to optimism!

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Roc Thomas was lighting people up every touch and he barely saw the field.

The planet on which Roc Thomas was lighting people up every touch is a different one from the planet I live on.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The planet on which Roc Thomas was lighting people up every touch is a different one from the planet I live on.

I actually agree with the OP. I recall CAP starting out a little slow, & once Roc started getting a few carries, it’s like itwoke CAP up. Roc may have never had a 200 yard game but I do remember him having a few burst runs here or there. 

I think we weren’t as good as our record indicated in 2013, and conversely we were better than our record indicated in 2014. One year we got all the lucky breaks, and the next we got all the unlucky breaks. In 2017, WE were the ones that caught all the bad breaks, partially because we didn’t need any lucky breaks in the games we won.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I think we weren’t as good as our record indicated in 2013, and conversely we were better than our record indicated in 2014. One year we got all the lucky breaks, and the next we got all the unlucky breaks. In 2017, WE were the ones that caught all the bad breaks, partially because we didn’t need any lucky breaks in the games we won.

This right here.

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

This season sets up similarly to 2014. Crazy successful season in the previous year which ends in failure. The following season being a vengeance-filled journey with a lot of hype. Both teams return a good bit of talent, in particular the star qb. Of course the defense this year is far and away better than 2014's but the offense...Idk if there's that much separation. I expect this year to go better than 2014 but how do you guys feel about the comparison?

I wish I'd seen this before offering you my lengthy response in another thread, but...

...give me Reese Dismukes back and I'm making bold predictions for this team. As things stand, I'm only confident that our front 7 on defense will play really well and that Stidham will throw accurate passes when given time. Otherwise, I'm letting Football Jesus take the wheel. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I remember 2014 differently. I was at the USC East game when Spurrier went for 5 or 6 4th down conversions and made them all. We won but it was a sign of things to come. Our defense put us in holes vs TAMU and parted like the Red Sea vs UGA. Then we hung over 700 yards of offense on Bama but lost by settling for FGs and the Defense giving up 55. So for me it was less about bad breaks and more about a horrific defense. That's why I'm much more confident about 2018. 

What happened to the adage “defense wins games “? I think our defense wins some for us next year, especially early in the season.

OP I think you answered your own question. I do not think this team compares to 2014 because our Defense is much better this year than the 2014. I am expecting a minimum of 9 wins just because of our Def. I believe if the offense performs better than expected this could be another 2013 or even 2010 team.

If we win less than 9 games in 2018 and lose to both uga and spuat then Gus should be fired.

wde

34 minutes ago, Samau said:

OP I think you answered your own question. I do not think this team compares to 2014 because our Defense is much better this year than the 2014. I am expecting a minimum of 9 wins just because of our Def. I believe if the offense performs better than expected this could be another 2013 or even 2010 team.

The OP wasn't saying that this team is exactly like 2014. He said it compares, for the reasons listed. And he acknowledged that the defense is better, which will hopefully offset one of the other differences which is that we have more questions on the OL. And he's right. 

Perhaps another way to say it is that 2014 is the *only* other season in the Gus Malzahn era- even going back to 2009- that we possibly could compare the upcoming season to. 

41 minutes ago, Samau said:

But as it stands the mindset of the two teams is the same.

42 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

If we win less than 9 games in 2018 and lose to both uga and spuat then Gus should be fired.

wde

Then you ought to mail in his pink slip now. 

To me, the big two difference between this year and 2014 are that we didn't have an heir apparent at running back and, while we aren't underestimating the losses on the O-line like many of us did in 2014, the losses seem to be more significant.

I don't think there's any way for us to know what to expect from our offense. Gus used A-Day as a tryout for players who hadn't seen the field much and our field general was on the sidelines for the most part. I also have a feeling that the weather didn't exactly help with the excitement level of the players.

Our players now have nearly 5 months to put it all together. The talent is there, the road map has been laid out, if they have the drive to make it happen, it will.

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

To me, the big two difference between this year and 2014 are that we didn't have an heir apparent at running back and, while we aren't underestimating the losses on the O-line like many of us did in 2014, the losses seem to be more significant.

I don't think there's any way for us to know what to expect from our offense. Gus used A-Day as a tryout for players who hadn't seen the field much and our field general was on the sidelines for the most part. I also have a feeling that the weather didn't exactly help with the excitement level of the players.

Our players now have nearly 5 months to put it all together. The talent is there, the road map has been laid out, if they have the drive to make it happen, it will........

......not to mention a Coach who can refrain from calling 17 straight first down runs up the middle.  Also need to keep in mind which play caller shows up:  LSU second half or bama/thuga first game.

50 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This. The O-line losses after 2013 were still somewhat manageable even though we lost Greg Robinson at left tackle and Kozan to injury where he didn't play all year. We still had Chad Slade, Dismukes, Avery Young, and Patrick Miller on that line which had a bit more experience and I guess confidence than we have now. The runningback thing is also different.

QB - advantage 2014 - gotta take Marshall over Stidham right now as Mr. Cool, ice in his veins, and his mobility

RB - advantage 2014 - CAP and Grant were legit with experience, 2018 is very young

WR - slight advantage 2018 - Slayton, Davis, Myers, etc. beat Sammie Coates' inconsistency and Duke's injuries but not a full advantage due to injuries

TE - advantage 2014 - CJ Uzomah vs. whoever we have that won't get targeted

OL - advantage 2014 - already explained above

DL - advantage 2018 - 2018 is bigger, more talented, and proven

LB - big advantage 2018 - this group vs. McKinzy and Frost - not even close

DBs - even - talent doesn't make up for lack of experience vs. 2014's veterans

ST - even - couple of Carlsons kicking both years

I think this team is a step down in terms of experience and personnel in regards to 2014's offense, but is significantly better than 2014's defense. That probably evens out to having a slightly better team in 2018 than 2014 but we'll see how it pans out with the schedule.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

What happened to the adage “defense wins games “? I think our defense wins some for us next year, especially early in the season.

That adage comes from way back in the day when offense sucked.

Both teams, in every game, were 3 yds and a cloud of dust.  Defense won games because offense couldn't.

39 minutes ago, lca408 said:

This. The O-line losses after 2013 were still somewhat manageable even though we lost Greg Robinson at left tackle and Kozan to injury where he didn't play all year. We still had Chad Slade, Dismukes, Avery Young, and Patrick Miller on that line which had a bit more experience and I guess confidence than we have now. The runningback thing is also different.

QB - advantage 2014 - gotta take Marshall over Stidham right now as Mr. Cool, ice in his veins, and his mobility

RB - advantage 2014 - CAP and Grant were legit with experience, 2018 is very young

WR - slight advantage 2018 - Slayton, Davis, Myers, etc. beat Sammie Coates' inconsistency and Duke's injuries but not a full advantage due to injuries

TE - advantage 2014 - CJ Uzomah vs. whoever we have that won't get targeted

OL - advantage 2014 - already explained above

DL - advantage 2018 - 2018 is bigger, more talented, and proven

LB - big advantage 2018 - this group vs. McKinzy and Frost - not even close

DBs - even - talent doesn't make up for lack of experience vs. 2014's veterans

ST - even - couple of Carlsons kicking both years

I think this team is a step down in terms of experience and personnel in regards to 2014's offense, but is significantly better than 2014's defense. That probably evens out to having a slightly better team in 2018 than 2014 but we'll see how it pans out with the schedule.

I agree with most of your list. I can't put Marshall above Stidham. Odds are Stidham will be the first Auburn QB drafted as a QB since Cam. I think little Carlson is farther along than his big brother was in 2014. I would also give us more than a slight advantage at receiver. While I love Sammy, you'd have to give me 2 of him in exchange for one Ryan Davis. I also think Nate is going to finally live up to his hype this year and a few others are going to do great things. While I wouldn't bet money on it, I also think our stable of backs has the chance to outperform CAP and Grant, if for no other reason than there are 3 times as many of them who have the ability to carry the rock. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That adage comes from way back in the day when offense sucked.

Both teams, in every game, were 3 yds and a cloud of dust.  Defense won games because offense couldn't.

Unless you take a page out of bama's 2016 playbook and your D handles a good chunk of your scoring.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree with most of your list. I can't put Marshall above Stidham. Odds are Stidham will be the first Auburn QB drafted as a QB since Cam. I think little Carlson is farther along than his big brother was in 2014. I would also give us more than a slight advantage at receiver. While I love Sammy, you'd have to give me 2 of him in exchange for one Ryan Davis. I also think Nate is going to finally live up to his hype this year and a few others are going to do great things. While I wouldn't bet money on it, I also think our stable of backs has the chance to outperform CAP and Grant, if for no other reason than there are 3 times as many of them who have the ability to carry the rock. 

Nobody can compare the two either.

Two totally different offenses.

Archived