Anybody else being reminded of 2014?

WFE12

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yup... and he only won the SEC West twice, the SEC once, and actually played in a national championship game. He's only the second most successful coach currently coaching in the SEC, but hey... he's not Nick Saban, so screw the 7 year contract, let's fire his butt.

Did I do that right A4E?

Obviously, I've got my issues with Gus but his "lack" of 10+ wins in only 5 years isn't one of them.

I'll just leave the rest alone cuz I'm Mr Sunshine at the moment.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUsince72 said:

Obviously, I've got my issues with Gus but his "lack" of 10+ wins in only 5 years isn't one of them.

I'll just leave the rest alone cuz I'm Mr Sunshine at the moment.

Yea... I was just ripping on A4E since he's on one of his anti-Gus tirades on every thread he can make it work in.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yup... and he only won the SEC West twice, the SEC once, and actually played in a national championship game. He's only the second most successful coach currently coaching in the SEC, but hey... he's not Nick Saban, so screw the 7 year contract, let's fire his butt.

Did I do that right A4E?

Man, numbers really don't tell the story on the Gus Auburn experience, no matter what side of the fence you fall on. 

Image result for roller coaster gif

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man, numbers really don't tell the story on the Gus Auburn experience, no matter what side of the fence you fall on. 

Image result for roller coaster gif

Stats are like potato chips.  Yummy but empty calories.

Final Results (ie: W's + L's) are the Broccoli.

The Gus Experience is the Hydroxycut for those addicted to stats.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Stats are like potato chips.  Yummy but empty calories.

Final Results (ie: W's & L's) are the Broccoli.

The Gus Experience is the Hydroxycut for those addicted to stats.

MAKE ME LIKE BROCCOLI, GUS!!! 

(out of likes)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's because a good portion of the experience is what you bring into it. I guarantee you that there are bama fans out there who will say that their experience is a roller coaster ride, and would site losing in the national championship game, losing to Auburn and losing to Ole Miss as examples.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's because a good portion of the experience is what you bring into it. I guarantee you that there are bama fans out there who will say that their experience is a roller coaster ride, and would site losing in the national championship game, losing to Auburn and losing to Ole Miss as examples.

Yep.  Then they'd threaten to kill your dog, pour ground clear on your garden, and spray paint "ROW TAHD!!!" on your house while you sleep.

You can't go by what a bammer thinks...

With that said.... Losing to Ole Miss does suck.

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Lion. Come on, man. 

Don't remember if it was posted here or somewhere else, but somebody did a list of most overachieving teams compared to preseason rankings going back 68 years. Guess who had more than twice as many appearances on that list as any other team? 

Tell me the last time that bama or any other team went from 9 losses to the national championship game in one season, or had a 10-season stretch that included 2 national title game appearances, 2 losing seasons, 4 coaches, 2 ADs, 13 starting QBs (I think), and 2 different stretches where national title appearances were bookended by seasons with a minimum of 5 losses? 

Let me repeat that: twice in the last ten seasons, we've gone from losing at least 5 games to the national title game and then back to losing 5 games. 

Don't bring that "it happens to all guys" mess in here. Nobody got it like we do. 

I know folks that travel long distances and pay good money for roller-coaster rides.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lion. Come on, man. 

Don't remember if it was posted here or somewhere else, but somebody did a list of most overachieving teams compared to preseason rankings going back 68 years. Guess who had more than twice as many appearances on that list as any other team? 

Tell me the last time that bama or any other team went from 9 losses to the national championship game in one season, or had a 10-season stretch that included 2 national title game appearances, 2 losing seasons, 4 coaches, 2 ADs, 13 starting QBs (I think), and 2 different stretches where national title appearances were bookended by seasons with a minimum of 5 losses? 

Let me repeat that: twice in the last ten seasons, we've gone from losing at least 5 games to the national title game and then back to losing 5 games. 

Don't bring that "it happens to all guys" mess in here. Nobody got it like we do. 

Auburn.

The Six-Flags, Disney World, Universal Studios, Wet'n'Wild of College Football!

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn.

The Six-Flags, Disney World, Universal Studios, Wet'n'Wild of College Football!

As I have said every season since 2008, at least, and as I will say again before Labor Day: WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In our 10 year recap, let's not forget the douchebag with the poison, Mike Dyer and the the trailer park 4, Ladarious Phillips and Jakell Mitchell- RIP, fellas, one of the craziest plays in CFB history followed up 2 weeks later by *the* greatest play in CFB history, the biggest witchhunt on an individual player in CFB history, Sean White/Jovon Robinson/Kyle Davis, Tony Franklin, Jeremy Johnson, our QB-of-the-future Kodi Burns moving to wide receiver then throwing a touchdown pass to Cam Newton on Halloween then catching a touchdown pass en route in the Arizona desert to help secure a national title... I mean, I'm barely getting started. Yes, every team has moments like this. No team calls it a lifestyle except us. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Lion. Come on, man. 

I never said it happens to all guys, I implied and I believe that it's a matter of perspective. You do realize that, for a majority of schools, losing 5 games a year is actually the norm, right? So when a school like that has a great year, it's awesome for them and then they are fine going back to the norm. I was in school back when the goal every year was to beat bama (which was considered a real achievement) and then an appearance in the SEC championship was considered icing on the cake. Now that we've gone to the national title game twice in under a decade, some fans expectations have risen to expecting that (or close to that) to be the norm and when we have a bad year, it's a disaster for them. I live in a world when I expect 8-9 wins a year, because that's our norm. Then if we win more I'm really happy and when we win less I'm a little bummed but know it's going to be different the next year.

I also guarantee you that every school out there has fans who feel like they are on a roller coaster, because they grow to expect the highs, when statistically they are unsustainable, especially when you are playing by the rules. Yes, we've had some huge shifts a few times in the last couple of decades, but we've also got to experience things that most schools only dream of... and we also haven't had a scandal... in fact, we're the only school ever proven innocent of charges. The way I see it, Auburn fans are lucky because they've had the national championship games, they've had the "game of the year" games, they've risen above the scandals, and they have the chance, almost every year, for magic to happen, and even when it doesn't, they have the Auburn family, which beats the heck out of any other fan base I've encountered.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I never said it happens to all guys

I also guarantee you that every school out there has fans who feel like they are on a roller coaster

Sorry if I'm not really following you here. Regardless, I don't care if other schools' fans feel like they're on a roller coaster. We are on one, and have been for a long time.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You do realize that, for a majority of schools, losing 5 games a year is actually the norm, right?

You do realize what school's forum you're on, right? 

I don’t know about most people, but I don’t like fitting the norm. The point of competition at all avenues is to continuously grow and move forward. Not stay complacent. Perspective is good, but it also needs to be intertwined with reality. The reality is Auburn University puts in tons and tons of money into their football program. They pay their coaches insane amounts of money. Their student body and alumni sacrifice a lot to support their football team. This is not normal for most universities across the nation. Therefore, the idea of just being normal is not a reality. I am not saying go out there and win a NC every year but winning 8 games a year won’t cut it based on the emphasis put on this sport. That might work for Arkansas. Definitely not for Auburn.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry if I'm not really following you here. Regardless, I don't care if other schools' fans feel like they're on a roller coaster. We are on one, and have been for a long time.

You do realize what school's forum you're on, right? 

Perspective. When the game of football causes stress or misery, it's your choice. Trust me, I know about stress that you have no choice about. The kind you can control isn't worth it.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Really?

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Their student body and alumni sacrifice a lot to support their football team.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Really?

I can't speak for everyone but, as a fan, I have sacrificed a LOT of fermented grain, barley & corn over the years to Auburn football.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't speak for everyone but, as a fan, I have sacrificed a LOT of fermented grain, barley & corn over the years to Auburn football.

Salut!

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Salut!

I want in.

:cheers:

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I want in.

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Salut!

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Ditto 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I want in.

The "water's" fine.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Perspective. When the game of football causes stress or misery, it's your choice. Trust me, I know about stress that you have no choice about. The kind you can control isn't worth it.

We all have real lives and problems and we all know the difference between "real" stress and football stress.

This is not a real stress forum. You're probably in the wrong place to go the "football doesn't really matter" route.

Archived