Anybody else being reminded of 2014?

WFE12

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I also think our stable of backs has the chance to outperform CAP and Grant, if for no other reason than there are 3 times as many of them who have the ability to carry the rock. 

Agreed. RB is one position I’m confident in. Mason went from average to spectacular in one year, then CAP had a monster season when no one expected it.  We were all in a state of despair when Roc transferred and Jovon got booted, only to see Barber emerge. Next up was Pettway who shocked us all in a good way. Then we debated whether KJ was a feature SEC back and we know how that went.  I look forward to see who surprises us this year, but I know we can count on someone doing just that. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. RB is one position I’m confident in. Mason went from average to spectacular in one year, then CAP had a monster season when no one expected it.  We were all in a state of despair when Roc transferred and Jovon got booted, only to see Barber emerge. Next up was Pettway who shocked us all in a good way. Then we debated whether KJ was a feature SEC back and we know how that went.  I look forward to see who surprises us this year, but I know we can count on someone doing just that. 

And Jovon was the only RB in that entire group who was a true superstar RB. Lots of serviceable and respectable NFL backups in that list, but Robinson was the only one who ever had a chance of being a Pro Bowl-type RB. Other than him, it's not like there's a Chubb/Fournette/Henry/Gurley type guy on that list. 

Like you and @lionheartkc are saying, it's entirely possible that our current group is an overall upgrade and that one of these guys will be *better than most of the other guys we've had under Gus. And when Shivers arrives, we might have our Cory Grant.

*I don't think we'll have another guy in this group who is as complete a back as KJ was, but one of them will probably be a better true runner. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And Jovon was the only RB in that entire group who was a true superstar RB. Lots of serviceable and respectable NFL backups in that list, but Robinson was the only one who ever had a chance of being a Pro Bowl-type RB. Other than him, it's not like there's a Chubb/Fournette/Henry/Gurley type guy on that list. 

Like you and @lionheartkc are saying, it's entirely possible that our current group is an overall upgrade and that one of these guys will be *better than most of the other guys we've had under Gus. And when Shivers arrives, we might have our Cory Grant.

*I don't think we'll have another guy in this group who is as complete a back as KJ was, but one of them will probably be a better true runner. 

What happened to Jovon after his time at AU?

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think little Carlson is farther along than his big brother was in 2014.

To be fair, Anders is probably not going to have to handle punting duties like Daniel did in 2014. So that’ll help.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And when Shivers arrives, we might have our Cory Grant.

Or he might just walk in and take over :)

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

To be fair, Anders is probably not going to have to handle punting duties like Daniel did in 2014. So that’ll help.

Definitely some truth to that, but I've been beyond impressed with what he's shown this Spring. I was expecting a drop-off, but it appears to be business as usual.

On 4/9/2018 at 1:15 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see it being like that but I’d say the 2014 team was severely better off before Carl got hurt. If they had the offensive coaching of the Gus just a year before, they would’ve averaged 45 points easy 

Roc Thomas was lighting people up every touch and he barely saw the field. Quan was the third option and he was a beast that year. Uzomah was NFL bound and wasn’t even used. Jeremy was the second best SEC QB behind nick. Complete failure of a season 

I don’t think this fanbase can mentally handle another 2014

I have to agree. Don't think we'll be vengeance filled this year and I'm very much concerned about the offense this year. Stidham and the receivers are great but our blocking will be a huge question mark as well as our running back situation. If Gus could adjust the offense to our strengths then we could have a Chris Todd type year on offense.

I think we will beat LSU by about 40 like we did that year. We will score every drive if we can. 

I think we will win 11 games. Loss at either Bama or UGA, but not both. The SEC is mediocre at best with the exception of a few teams. 

On 4/9/2018 at 7:46 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

I actually agree with the OP. I recall CAP starting out a little slow, & once Roc started getting a few carries, it’s like itwoke CAP up. Roc may have never had a 200 yard game but I do remember him having a few burst runs here or there. 

He got the running game ignited every time he came in. Some people love arguing semantics over the core point though

44 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think we will beat LSU by about 40 like we did that year. We will score every drive if we can. 

I think we will win 11 games. Loss at either Bama or UGA, but not both. The SEC is mediocre at best with the exception of a few teams. 

I don't think all the sec teams with new coaches will suck like many do. At least one of Tenn, Texas A&M, or FL have to be solid and steal a win from someone. If everything goes right 11-1 is a definite possibility but no one knows when the offense will click. I know that we have an elite defense but that's no excuse to wait until week 4 for your offense to start playing up to par with the defense.

18 hours ago, AidiAU said:

What happened to Jovon after his time at AU?

Pretty sure he went to Valdosta State and then just tried to go to the L. dont think you can find a concrete report that he ever even played for VSU though. Sad case, because he looked like a bigger Dyer every game he started...

Who got the running game "ignited"? Are we talking about Roc Thomas? Or CAP?

If we're talking about the former, that's absurd. He had two games rushing for more than 50 yards in his entire career at Auburn. He was a threat as a receiver (which is why we wanted to move him), but I don't recall any time as a running back that he "ignited" the offense.

CAP, on the other hand, did not have a single game in 2014 under 60 yards. He only had three under 100 yards (all three were losses). He was a massive part of the offense, and we never won a game without him posting great numbers. I'm happy Roc was able to go somewhere and prosper. I hope he fulfills his NFL dream, but Roc Thomas was never a major part of Auburn football. He didn't ignite anything.

As for the OP, I can see some comparison based on late-season disappointment and a returning QB, but I don't think these teams are particularly comparable. I also haven't heard the "finish the drill" narrative nearly as much with this team or these coaches. They seem to be focused on improving. Personally, I don't get the same theme or focus this year.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:07 PM, WFE12 said:

This season sets up similarly to 2014. Crazy successful season in the previous year which ends in failure. The following season being a vengeance-filled journey with a lot of hype. Both teams return a good bit of talent, in particular the star qb. Of course the defense this year is far and away better than 2014's but the offense...Idk if there's that much separation. I expect this year to go better than 2014 but how do you guys feel about the comparison?

Lets hope Gus doesn't try and make Stidham a read option QB. Cause he tried to make Marshall a pocket passer in 2014. What a dufuss. 

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lets hope Gus doesn't try and make Stidham a read option QB. Cause he tried to make Marshall a pocket passer in 2014. What a dufuss. 

*Gus sees this post and starts putting his Nevada Pistol offense away slowly*

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I also haven't heard the "finish the drill" narrative nearly as much with this team or these coaches. They seem to be focused on improving. 

Truly embracing a philosophy of this nature would be great for this team. We have been at our worst the last few years (most notably Clemson 2016) when we focused on other things.

I think we will realistically finish 9-3 for the season with a little luck, 10-2 could happen. I think our defense will carry the team the first 2-3 games and will give us a legitimate chance to beat UW & LSU with the offense coming around by then. If we can get the ball to the opposition's 40 yard line, Carlson will be a weapon that no team in the SEC has. A 60 yard FG for him is like a 45 yard FG for any opposition.

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think we will realistically finish 9-3 for the season with a little luck, 10-2 could happen. I think our defense will carry the team the first 2-3 games and will give us a legitimate chance to beat UW & LSU with the offense coming around by then. If we can get the ball to the opposition's 40 yard line, Carlson will be a weapon that no team in the SEC has. A 60 yard FG for him is like a 45 yard FG for any opposition.

Out of curiosity where are the three losses? Turds, Dawg$, and TAMU?

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

YES!

Exactly my argument "against" Gus, so to speak.  He couldn't be satisfied with awesome.   In Gus' world, if it ain't broke....fix it anyway.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Out of curiosity where are the three losses? Turds, Dawg$, and TAMU?

I'd say Washington instead of TAMU. Gus has yet to lose coming off a bye week. <Knock on wood>

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Washington will be one. 

Unfortunate truth. Peterson is a better early season game preparer than Gus.

I don't necessarily think it's an *automatic* loss, but obviously the Huskies should be the slight favorites. I see it coming down to the wire. The expectation for this season should be nine wins. Anything less and Gus's seat deserves to be nuclear entering 2019.

58 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

YES!

Exactly my argument "against" Gus, so to speak.  He couldn't be satisfied with awesome.   In Gus' world, if it ain't broke....fix it anyway.

Would you have been happier with (hypothetically) "T's all good. Just 13 seconds."?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Unfortunate truth. Peterson is a better early season game preparer than Gus.

Can’t argue with this. I still believe the defense is good enough and the offense barely ok enough to beat Washington 

Archived