Anybody else being reminded of 2014?

WFE12

Just now, DAG said:

Really what? 

The student body and fans sacrifice to support the team? What do they sacrifice? And don't tell me money, because if someone spending money that amounts to a sacrifice for football tickets or to travel to a game, then they have some seriously F'd up priorities. Football is entertainment. It's a luxury. You can watch it on TV for free.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't speak for everyone but, as a fan, I have sacrificed a LOT of fermented grain, barley & corn over the years to Auburn football.

Do you pour one out for every loss?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We all have real lives and problems and we all know the difference between "real" stress and football stress.

This is not a real stress forum. You're probably in the wrong place to go the "football doesn't really matter" route.

I just feel like people occasionally need a reminder that letting something like this be a negative force in your life isn't necessary. I believe that there are a lot of people in this forum who do have real stress over something that, in the big picture, isn't worth stressing over. And I don't believe everyone knows the difference. Just seeing the overreactions over the years makes that pretty clear.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Do you pour one out for every loss?

No sir.

That's the beauty of this nectar.  It's as versatile as a dual threat QB who can also play corner...  Makes wins feel even better and losses sting less.

As my good buddy :homer: says, "the cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems".

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The student body and fans sacrifice to support the team? What do they sacrifice? And don't tell me money, because if someone spending money that amounts to a sacrifice for football tickets or to travel to a game, then they have some seriously F'd up priorities. Football is entertainment. It's a luxury. You can watch it on TV for free.

Hmm okay so let me tell you a story. When I was 8 , I lost my God father, the late Corporal Anderson Gordon ( My father called him Gordon) to senseless gunfire. He was a huge Auburn football fan, along with my father who just recently retired from the MPD. I was severely heart broken. My single mother at the time was super crushed. We didn’t have a whole lot, but I do remember my mother taking me to an AU football game that fall, the first of many I would attend, after his death. He had always said he would take me to a game and I wanted it more than ever after my father left. Sadly, he never had the opportunity to do it. My mom, who at that time, did not have a BSN, took me to the game and it meant the world. Not only because I attended my first AU game, but the fact as a single parent, who was a unit clerk, she sacrificed her time and money to make me happy during one of the hardest times of my life. After that , my mom decided to get her college degree at AU. She got her BSN. The first person in her family to get a degree. She is now one of two black female CNO in the state of Wisconsin. That is pretty much the highest you can go as a nurse . That set in stone for me to earn my degree as a nursing student from Auburn. Now? I am a licensed nurse practitioner  and lucky enough to be the first in my family to earn a masters degree in Nursing. Iono maybe it was destiny. What I will say is that AU football played a defining part in my family trajectory of life. I think you need to be a little more cautious on projecting your perspective on others.

I know when I attended AU, there were students from all walks of life with various backgrounds who came to AU just to experience what it was like at JH on a Sunday evening. I am talking people who did in fact make a decision to pay their way to an institution like AU because they wanted to experience this once in a life time opportunity . It provides outlets for many different reasons, even if you view it as just entertainment. 

Edit: clarification , I want to say my mother got her degree from AUM. She couldn’t afford to travel to AU being a single parent but you guys get the drift!.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hmm okay so let me tell you a story. When I was 8 , I lost my God father, the late Corporal Anderson Gordon ( My father called him Gordon) to senseless gunfire. He was a huge Auburn football fan, along with my father who just recently retired from the MPD. I was severely heart broken. My single mother at the time was super crushed. We didn’t have a whole lot, but I do remember my mother taking me to an AU football game that fall, the first of many I would attend, after his death. He had always said he would take me to a game and I wanted it more than ever after my father left. Sadly, he never had the opportunity to do it. My mom, who at that time, did not have a BSN, took me to the game and it meant the world. Not only because I attended my first AU game, but the fact as a single parent, who was a unit clerk, she sacrificed her time and money to make me happy during one of the hardest times of my life. After that , my mom decided to get her college degree at AU. She got her BSN. The first person in her family to get a degree. She is now one of two black female CNO in the state of Wisconsin. That is pretty much the highest you can go as a nurse . That set in stone for me to earn my degree as a nursing student from Auburn. Now? I am a licensed nurse practitioner  and lucky enough to be the first in my family to earn a masters degree in Nursing. Iono maybe it was destiny. What I will say is that AU football played a defining part in my family trajectory of life. I think you need to be a little more cautious on projecting your perspective on others.

I know when I attended AU, there were students from all walks of life with various backgrounds who came to AU just to experience what it was like at JH on a Sunday evening. I am talking people who did in fact make a decision to pay their way to an institution like AU because they wanted to experience this once in a life time opportunity . It provides outlets for many different reasons, even if you view it as just entertainment. 

Edit: clarification , I want to say my mother got her degree from AUM. She couldn’t afford to travel to AU being a single parent but you guys get the drift!.

Many, many thanks.

RIP to Corporal Gordon, and many congrats to your mom and you. Congrats also to your father on his retirement!

Also just to lighten the mood , you guys think AU goes crazy for football?! You guys should come up here and see some cheeseheads haha. The freaking community owns the packers. Let me tell you , come Sunday , they can be on their deathbed and they will be screaming for the packers. Trying teaching a guy to not exert too much energy after a CABG as been performed for heart failure who is ranting and raving on a Sunday about the packers lmao. Now back to AU football.

Just now, DAG said:

Also just to lighten the mood , you guys think AU goes crazy for football?! You guys should come up here and see some cheeseheads haha. The freaking community owns the packers. Let me tell you , come Sunday , they can be on their deathbed and they will be screaming for the packers. Trying teaching a guy to not exert too much energy after a CABG as been performed for heart failure who is ranting and raving on a Sunday about the packers lmao. Now back to AU football.

Cheese, beer and football... never been to that state, but I feel like I lived there in a former life. 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

While I appreciate that Auburn Football played an important part in your life and plays an important part in a lot of other's lives because it is something they and people they are connected with have chosen to care about, and I even more appreciate you sharing a very personal story, nothing about your story speaks to anyone sacrificing for the team. In fact, it speaks to the fact that the team even exists being a benefit to you because it connected you to your family.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Cheese, beer and football... never been to that state, but I feel like I lived there in a former life. 

That is truly the life of these Wisconsinites as I call them. 

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I appreciate that Auburn Football played an important part in your life and plays an important part in a lot of other's lives because it is something they and people they are connected with have chosen to care about, and I even more appreciate you sharing a very personal story, nothing about your story speaks to anyone sacrificing for the team. In fact, it speaks to the fact that the team even exists being a benefit to you because it connected you to your family.

I will be extremely charitable here and just say that I interpreted his post in a very different way. 

One more diversion?

My wife (bless her heart, an ER doc at the time) had to seriously compete, against the Masters live on TV, for the attention of her OB who was performing her caesarian in Augusta.

Now - back to AU football.

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

One more diversion?

My wife (bless her heart, an ER doc at the time) had to seriously compete, against the Masters live on TV, for the attention of her OB who was performing her caesarian in Augusta.

Now - back to AU football.

Image result for say what gif

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will be extremely charitable here and just say that I interpreted his post in a very different way. 

I'm dropping it, because when someone presents something so personal, no matter what you do, you can't help but come across as a d**k by trying to make any points around it.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm dropping it, because when someone presents something so personal, no matter what you do, you can't help but come across as a d**k by trying to make any points around it.

I appreciate the sentiments . I definitely  think your interpretation is not on the same wavelength of what I was trying to get across and I almost regret divulging such personal info , but I thought in this instance it was warranted.  Either way, agree to disagree. Back to AU football!

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree.  I've often"threatened" my wife that we're gonna move to Wisconsin.  All I've ever heard about it....feels almost Heavenly to a guy like me.

But....we live on the Gulf Coast of Florida instead.  Not just on the Gulf but....way down in SW Fla.  The hottest & most humid place in the US of A.  Guess that shows who wears the pants...well shorts...in MY family.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just keep in mind, most of us may take this stuff (AU football) very seriously but it is a "compartmentalized" seriousness.  Nobody here is comparing how we feel about AU, the team, Gus...any of it.... to real life and real problems.

Those conversations are taking place on the All Things Considered or the Politics boards....

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree.  I've often"threatened" my wife that we're gonna move to Wisconsin.  All I've ever heard about it....feels almost Heavenly to a guy like me.

But....we live on the Gulf Coast of Florida instead.  Not just on the Gulf but....way down in SW Fla.  The hottest & most humid place in the US of A.  Guess that shows who wears the pants...well shorts...in MY family.

From one beach town full of retirees to another... word. 

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Dang. If you moved to Wisconsin both you and your wife would have to wear 2 pair of pants for half of the year just to keep from freezing to death.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yikes! I won’t lie the winters suck but this spring/summer weather is truly heavenly.  Happy wife, happy life is what they say. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Dang. If you moved to Wisconsin both you and your wife would have to wear 2 pair of pants for half of the year just to keep from freezing to death.

YESSIR!!!

....thus, why we live here.  

Just now, DAG said:

Yikes! I won’t lie the winters suck but this spring/summer weather is truly heavenly.  Happy wife, happy life is what they say. 

Yes, it is the polar opposite down here.  The winters are actually quite nice here from Jan - April.  The rest of the year though....

Like I tell people, we have 3 seasons here alright.  Summer, Summer, Slightly Less Summer & Summer.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

From one beach town full of retirees to another... word. 

tumblr_m1iaczvycj1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Archived