JB Grimes- Thoughts?

McLoofus

Just curious if anyone has any info or opinions on the JB Grimes effect on recruiting? Is there one? Good, bad, neutral? Is he in on some of these recent developments? 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is to early to grade Grimes on recruiting. Most of the ones we get this cycle will be recruits area coordinators and other coaches already had relationships with. That said he knows O-line and in talking with these recruits that other coaches have been working with if he can sell his knowledge and how he will help then develop and have a chance at the next level he could make a difference.

A year or two down the road is when we will really be able to judge him on recruiting. This year we need him to teach current players and help close some players other coaches have been working with.

I feel like we will get some judgement this year.  The guys that should be starting are guys he recruited here when he was here before.  Their ability to work and get to the next level will be proof of his recruiting ability and will help him moving forward at AU.

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think it is to early to grade Grimes on recruiting. Most of the ones we get this cycle will be recruits area coordinators and other coaches already had relationships with. That said he knows O-line and in talking with these recruits that other coaches have been working with if he can sell his knowledge and how he will help then develop and have a chance at the next level he could make a difference.

A year or two down the road is when we will really be able to judge him on recruiting. This year we need him to teach current players and help close some players other coaches have been working with.

Yeah, not really looking for a grade or anything yet. It's just that we usually have an idea of how involved our coaches are in various recruitments, and I'm curious to hear if there's anything at all on JB.

As for closing, it seems that Morris and Clark *loved* whatever they heard when they were on campus. Maybe their position coach had something to do with that? Maybe not.

Just checking to see if anyone who has their finger on the pulse of recruiting has a feel for how involved he is. 

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He ain't great and he ain't bad.............how's that for precise info

You should have just borrowed the 50/50 line from Bird... ?

I wonder if recruits wonder how long will he continue to coach, and if other coaches use to recruit against us. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just curious if anyone has any info or opinions on the JB Grimes effect on recruiting? Is there one? Good, bad, neutral? Is he in on some of these recent developments? 

Was discussed ad neasseaum when he was hired back, particularly in the Clay Webb & 2018 OL Recruiting Thoughts threads.

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Was discussed ad neasseaum when he was hired back, particularly in the Clay Webb & 2018 OL Recruiting Thoughts threads.

Yes, ellitor, I was around. However, that was a bunch of people wondering what he could or could not do before he'd had a chance to do it. Now he's been at work for a minute.

Seems a simple question but I guess it's not. Nevermind. Jeez.

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

Off topic slightly, but does anyone think  UT hired Hand specifically to land the Rice transfer? 

No. They offered and had the lead before they leaked the Hand hire.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, ellitor, I was around. However, that was a bunch of people wondering what he could or could not do before he'd had a chance to do it. Now he's been at work for a minute.

Seems a simple question but I guess it's not. Nevermind. Jeez.

It was a simple question & cool if you want to regurgitate it some more. Just saying we already ran that topic in the ground in the recruiting forum & the football forum for that matter.

Him being at work for a minute doesn't change anything. The other coaches are still doing the loin's share of the recruiting for him. That was the plan all along when he came back. He's basically here to be an on field coach only for the most part.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was a simple question & cool if you want to regurgitate it some more. Just saying we already ran that topic in the ground in the recruiting forum & the football forum for that matter.

Him being at work for a minute doesn't change anything. The other coaches are still doing the loin's share of the recruiting for him. That was the plan all along when he came back. He's basically here to be an on field coach only for the most part.

Your second paragraph is the answer I was looking for. Sorta.

I don't remember it being discussed that it was actually a plan for him to not recruit at all. Only that it's not his forte. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well, I'll be damned. Wanya Morris specifically cites his relationship with JB Grimes as one of the more important factors in him considering Auburn.

https://n.rivals.com/news/no-19-prospect-in-america-cuts-list-to-two

I like the last line of which will prepare me the best for the next level. Recruiting may not be Grimes forte but teaching the position is which would give him a good shot at the next level.

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like the last line of which will prepare me the best for the next level. Recruiting may not be Grimes forte but teaching the position is which would give him a good shot at the next level.

I dunno. Maybe it's a matter of semantics as to what "recruiting" actually entails. But if OLs keep saying that JB Grimes is a big reason why they're looking at Auburn, then I'm probably going to start calling him a good recruiter.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Your second paragraph is the answer I was looking for. Sorta.

I don't remember it being discussed that it was actually a plan for him to not recruit at all. Only that it's not his forte. 

It wasn't discussed on here. What was discussed was he would be a liability as a recruiter if he did actually recruit just as he was a liability there when he left.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well, I'll be damned. Wanya Morris specifically cites his relationship with JB Grimes as one of the more important factors in him considering Auburn.

https://n.rivals.com/news/no-19-prospect-in-america-cuts-list-to-two

Of course he's going to say that. Doesn't make it true. Grimes' actual biggest factor w/ Morris, just as it is with any other OL, will be the way JB develops players on the field. T-Will is the one spearheading this recruitment & he's selling JB like a champ.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. Maybe it's a matter of semantics as to what "recruiting" actually entails. But if OLs keep saying that JB Grimes is a big reason why they're looking at Auburn, then I'm probably going to start calling him a good recruiter.

JB can be a big reason OLs are looking at AU without being the one recruiting them because of his development record. Other coaches, specifically T-Will & Porter are selling him well.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It wasn't discussed on here. What was discussed was he would be a liability as a recruiter if he did actually recruit just as he was a liability there when he left.

Yeah. Again. I know what a bunch of fans predicted months ago. This is a different conversation. 

Of course he's going to say that. Doesn't make it true. Grimes' actual biggest factor w/ Morris, just as it is with any other OL, will be the way JB develops players on the field. T-Will is the one spearheading this recruitment & he's selling JB like a champ.

JB can be a big reason OLs are looking at AU without being the one recruiting them

Again. Semantics.  2 OLs show up on campus and immediately show major interest after hanging out with Grimes (Clark spent most of his time with Gus and Grimes on his visit, per another article). Everyone has a role to play. Just as it was with Braden Smith, Kaleb Kim and a couple others, the theme is that kids want to play for JB Grimes. Looking at comments and facts and looking past opinions around here, Grimes sure seems like he might be a major component in recruiting. 

And I'll take Morris's word over anyone's here, all day long. Notice he doesn't mention Porter:

"Me and my mom love both of these places and prayed about it and we decided that these are the final two schools. They both are beautiful places and I feel like I built outstanding relationships with coaches on each staff.

"At Auburn, it is coach T-Will (Travis Williams) and coach JB Grimes — and really their whole staff. It is just a great vibe there for me and I really like it.

Do not sell Grimes short as a recruiter.  On a 1-10 I would give him a 7.5 of which is pretty good. As a teacher and technician,  a solid 9. We have enough solid recruiters on staff that can compensate for any short comings JB has on the recruiting trail. All in all, a pretty darn good OL coach I must say.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Do not sell Grimes short as a recruiter.  On a 1-10 I would give him a 7.5 of which is pretty good. As a teacher and technician,  a solid 9. We have enough solid recruiters on staff that can compensate for any short comings JB has on the recruiting trail. All in all, a pretty darn good OL coach I must say.

Grimes is a 5 at best when it comes to recruiting. 

As far as coaching, solid 8 for road graders but a solid and I mean solid 5 when doing pass pro. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Again. I know what a bunch of fans predicted months ago. This is a different conversation. 

Again. Semantics.  2 OLs show up on campus and immediately show major interest after hanging out with Grimes (Clark spent most of his time with Gus and Grimes on his visit, per another article). Everyone has a role to play. Just as it was with Braden Smith, Kaleb Kim and a couple others, the theme is that kids want to play for JB Grimes. Looking at comments and facts and looking past opinions around here, Grimes sure seems like he might be a major component in recruiting. 

And I'll take Morris's word over anyone's here, all day long. Notice he doesn't mention Porter:

Don't insult me by posting articles even a 5 year old would know I've already read. If you want to be delusional & naive about JB the recruiter then fine. I'll just keep bringing truth and not care if it's accepted or not. If you didn't want an informed opinion though then don't ask for it in the future

Archived