JB Grimes- Thoughts?

McLoofus

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

But @ellitor, I hear you. I do. 

That's cool but be petty all you want buddy! It's your right as a "Merican!" :cheers:

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nope!

There hasn't been much back and forth on it all summer. And the person I'm referencing deserves it TBQH. I can be petty with the best of them. 

I did post a quote other day about JB. Was wondering why you would want to pick a fight with little ol me. ha ha 

8 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I did post a quote other day about JB. Was wondering why you would want to pick a fight with little ol me. ha ha 

If I saw it, I don't remember it. Happy to hear your thoughts if you care to share them again and apologies for forgetting if I did indeed see them. 

And I'm 100% in favor of an open dialogue about the guy with differing opinions. I promise it's why I started this thread. Same goes the post below yours from one of the best handles on this site. 

50 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’ll let you know how I feel about him in December or January. Not that my opinion carries much

To me former players opinions always matter. Especially ones who have/get inside knowledge. :cheers: 

I was very happy to see Coach Grimes return more for his coaching expertise then for his recruiting. This years team has the talent at all the skill positions on O so if he can turn the talent that we already have on the O-line into a cohesive unit with what I think could be one of our more outstanding defenses this has the potential to be a special year.

While he is not known for his recruiting prowess what I am seeing is he is letting some of the better recruiters on the staff know what players he likes and so far they have done a pretty good job on new O-line recruits especially considering Grimes just came back this year. We have a solid Center in Jakai Clarke, a really strong guard in Keondre Jones, and in Justin Osborne a player with the frame and feet to develop into a solid tackle or guard in a couple of years. Like everybody I want a stud OT but one or two more solid O-line especially if one is an OT and I will be very happy with his first O-Line class since returning.

How the current players develop this year will really tell the story an how good a hire Grimes was. Right now I think he was the right man for the moment.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I know it's not. I'm just tired of seeing the back & forth on it since most opinions on it aren't changing. At this point I look at it like beating a dead horse. But as you know, you are free to carry on.

beating a dead bird would be much much better

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Waiting on big bird's response :popcorn:

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Waiting on bird's response :popcorn:

I can see it play out like this ...

Bird response:

iFa3uTU.gif

Golf response:

birdie2.gif

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

As long as the bird is a Dodo Bird!

18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

How the current players develop this year will really tell the story an how good a hire Grimes was

As the saying goes past performance is no indication of future results, but I believe Grimes last time coaching for AU showed he is better than Hand. Now there certainly probably are better coaches than Grimes but could Gus have gotten them to come to AU IDK. Time will tell about the hire just as you stated, but for now I'm happy with the hire.

20 hours ago, WaynesAUworld said:

To me former players opinions always matter. Especially ones who have/get inside knowledge. :cheers: 

Probably more than anyone else’s. As long as we’re clear I’m not a player :)

9 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Probably more than anyone else’s. As long as we’re clear I’m not a player :)

Maybe WT meant to refer to you as a ... Playa ...

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Grimes went to New Jersey?

Well, he's the OL coach and there's an OL prospect there Auburn is interested in, why wouldn't he go to NJ to check things out?

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well, he's the OL coach and there's an OL prospect there Auburn is interested in, why wouldn't he go to NJ to check things out?

Oh, just that I thought he was a liability and was too old to recruit. But here is another kid talking about how much he likes Coach Grimes and how Auburn wasn't recruiting him until Grimes got involved. A kid in New Jersey, no less. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, just that I thought he was a liability and was too old to recruit. But here is another kid talking about how much he likes Coach Grimes and how Auburn wasn't recruiting him until Grimes got involved. A kid in New Jersey, no less. 

That "recruiting liability" talk was something I never bought. It seemed to be mostly sour grapes from people that had a favorite candidate that wasn't hired.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

That "recruiting liability" talk was something I never bought. It seemed to be mostly sour grapes from people that had a favorite candidate that wasn't hired.

One of those folks is exactly why I will keep this thread alive as long as Grimes is employed at Auburn. 

We don't normally go out of area recruiting but since there are so few  SEC Caliber OT candidates and so many teams with great recruiters in the areas we recruit competing for so few true SEC Caliber OT types it is refreshing to see that we are trying some areas we don't normally recruit. Kudos to Grimes for going there. I am on the fence as to whether Grimes using the help of our other coaches is able to pull in top notch OT type prospects but I am pulling for him. The better he does the better Auburn does so I hope he proves all his doubters wrong and he pulls me off the fence.

I know this is the recruiting forum so I guess that's the point, but personally, after a couple years of Hand, I'm just wanting a coach who can get the most out of what they've got now.  I'm tired of waiting til next year.

I like Grimes for that.

The discussion from the above article should be centered around Mayo as a recruit & not out never ending debate on whether JB can recruit or not. Another case where people aren't going to change their minds so why regurgitate it?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The discussion from the above article should be centered around Mayo as a recruit & not out never ending debate on whether JB can recruit or not. Another case where people aren't going to change their minds so why regurgitate it?

Other coaches get lots of love spread throughout the recruiting forum, across many threads. And rightfully so. I'm doing everyone a kindness and keeping the Grimes discussion here. 

When there is a Mayo thread, I'll focus the conversation on him there.

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One of those folks is exactly why I will keep this thread alive as long as Grimes is employed at Auburn. 

Take a step back L:oof. Bottom line is all the nice things some recruits say about him don't mean Jack until he gets some big time signatures. Until he starts winning some major battles people are justified in their opinion if they feel he is a recruiting liability.

Archived