McLoofus

JB Grimes- Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

NOW WHY YOU GOT TO THROW MUHHHHH BOY Porters name under the bus Loof?! Thought me and you were high on him as a recruiter?!  That is just uncalled for! lol.  Usually that is @corchjay job hahaha! 

I'm still keeping my eye on you.  It's baseball season so my work load skyrockets.  oh yeah and get off my lawn, dagnabit kids

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




30 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm still keeping my eye on you.  It's baseball season so my work load skyrockets.  oh yeah and get off my lawn, dagnabit kids

Ain't that the truth 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things that bothered me during Hand’s era, that I hope will be corrected under JB.

Run blocking: lack of foot movement/drive. During the season this was extremely obvious to me and I was really baffled at the lack of this, especially in the bowl game. I think JB fixes this

Pass blocking: Catching too much/lack of punch. Much like Sharp getting run over by Coe at Aday. Hope JB fixes this.

Hand seemed to be more focused on hand placement than on being a “big nasty”. Hope JB gets that culture back in our guys

Edited by Maverick.AU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

2 things that bothered me during Hand’s era, that I hope will be corrected under JB.

Run blocking: lack of foot movement/drive. During the season this was extremely obvious to me and I was really baffled at the lack of this, especially in the bowl game. I think JB fixes this

Pass blocking: Catching too much/lack of punch. Much like Sharp getting run over by Coe at Aday. Hope JB fixes this.

Hand seemed to be more focused on hand placement than on being a “big nasty”. Hope JB gets that culture back in our guys

Run blocking will get fixed. Pass blocking? Wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

2 things that bothered me during Hand’s era, that I hope will be corrected under JB.

Run blocking: lack of foot movement/drive. During the season this was extremely obvious to me and I was really baffled at the lack of this, especially in the bowl game. I think JB fixes this

Pass blocking: Catching too much/lack of punch. Much like Sharp getting run over by Coe at Aday. Hope JB fixes this.

Hand seemed to be more focused on hand placement than on being a “big nasty”. Hope JB gets that culture back in our guys

So essentially blocking.  :Sing:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, here's how it works on this board: It doesn't matter if a top O-line recruit says he'll sign with Auburn because he wants to play for Coach Grimes, Grimes still can't be given any recruiting credit because, well, he just can't have any recruiting credit.

"The other coaches talked Grimes up"? Good, that's part of what they are being paid to do, just as Grimes might talk Coach Burns up to some WR prospect. They all work together, or are a least supposed to.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really care if we get a top line prospect because Coach Grimes did a great job of recruiting or because one of the other coaches did a great job of recruiting and talking up Coach Grimes as the man that can get you to the next level. I just care that we get a top line recruit.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't really care if we get a top line prospect because Coach Grimes did a great job of recruiting or because one of the other coaches did a great job of recruiting and talking up Coach Grimes as the man that can get you to the next level. I just care that we get a top line recruit.

I don't even care if we get a top line recruit, if Coach Grimes can make the recruits we get good enough to get to the next level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 12:25 PM, Mikey said:

See, here's how it works on this board: It doesn't matter if a top O-line recruit says he'll sign with Auburn because he wants to play for Coach Grimes, Grimes still can't be given any recruiting credit because, well, he just can't have any recruiting credit.

"The other coaches talked Grimes up"? Good, that's part of what they are being paid to do, just as Grimes might talk Coach Burns up to some WR prospect. They all work together, or are a least supposed to.

If one of those top OL's say this I will give him all the credit in the world. Problem is, this isn't happening. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If one of those top OL's say this I will give him all the credit in the world. Problem is, this isn't happening. 

Morris said it, although I guess it looks unlikely that he'll sign with us. Braden Smith said it. Kaleb Kim- who despite any under-performance since was a pretty big time recruit when we signed him- said it. Clark didn't say it, but evidently went from not being on our board to semi-committing after a weekend spent with Gus and JB.

If we don't pull a really strong class this cycle, then I'll give him (and the hire) all the criticism in the world. But it seems like he's factored heavily into the few guys we are in on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If one of those top OL's say this I will give him all the credit in the world. Problem is, this isn't happening. 

It's already happened. To keep myself from being repetitive, just look at the post above this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's already happened. To keep myself from being repetitive, just look at the post above this one.

Don't remember Smith saying it. And Kim? Come on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Morris said it, although I guess it looks unlikely that he'll sign with us. Braden Smith said it. Kaleb Kim- who despite any under-performance since was a pretty big time recruit when we signed him- said it. Clark didn't say it, but evidently went from not being on our board to semi-committing after a weekend spent with Gus and JB.

If we don't pull a really strong class this cycle, then I'll give him (and the hire) all the criticism in the world. But it seems like he's factored heavily into the few guys we are in on. 

Grimes was rolling on the recruiting trail. Wow. Man I was wrong on this one. :laugh:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't remember Smith saying it. And Kim? Come on. 

Kim was a 4* and the #5 ranked center in the country. He was a big get. And yes, Smith said it.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Grimes was rolling on the recruiting trail. Wow. Man I was wrong on this one. :laugh:

You said that none of these guys are saying it. I just pointed out a few. No, I don't have quotes from 10 guys saying it. The only guy on staff who can boast that is TWill.

I'm not trying to say that Grimes is the next TWill. I just started the thread looking for an honest assessment of Grimes's contributions so far. What is said here and what is available elsewhere seem to be at odds. I'll keep updating this thread with what I find out elsewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Run blocking will get fixed. Pass blocking? Wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

Stidham can get it out quickly.   He better his fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

The big visits, however, were made by Horton and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes. They made a stop at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., to see running back Noah Cain, one of the top overall targets in the class, as well at the litany of other top prospects at that program. They also went to the Tampa area to stop by a few high schools.

The most notable was Plant, home of top offensive tackle target Will Putnam.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-coaches-road-spring-evaluation

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Still have a man crush on Marshall. 

Those were good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since nobody ever says these things about him. :poke:

Quote

One of the more physical offensive line prospects in the country and expected to play guard on the next level for the Tigers, Jones said for him the return of Coach J.B. Grimes to coach Auburn’s offensive line was the thing that really pushed them over the top.

"I think what really changed, they started recruiting me," said Jones, who attends Callaway High School. "Coach Grimes might have been a little more fond of me than others. I think that kind of played a huge part in it. That just kind of sealed the deal for them a little bit."

https://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/Keiondre-Jones-Commits-To-Auburn-119798392/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Loof is looking to start an internet fight. lol

That quote has basically been said before. Same exact quote can apply to Wanya Morris except the part of not landing him. JB liking Wanya & sicking T-Will on Wanya made that race very tight just as JB liking KJ & sicking Garner & Chip on him got us that W.

Edited by ellitor
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like Loof is looking to start an internet fight. lol

That quote has basically been said before. Same exact quote can apply to Wanya Morris except the part of not landing him. JB liking Wanya & sicking T-Will on Wanya made that race very tight just as JB liking KJ & sicking Garner & Chip on him got us that W.

Believe it or not, it's not you I'm trying to start the fight with :)  It's the guy who did literally say that nobody had ever said anything like that.

Totally accept that CRG and CTW are doing the heavy lifting here. I know who the real heroes are. :bow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Believe it or not, it's not you I'm trying to start the fight with :)  It's the guy who did literally say that nobody had ever said anything like that.

Totally accept that CRG and CTW are doing the heavy lifting here. I know who the real heroes are. :bow:

 

You talking about me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

it's not you I'm trying to start the fight with

I know it's not. I'm just tired of seeing the back & forth on it since most opinions on it aren't changing. At this point I look at it like beating a dead horse. But as you know, you are free to carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kd4au said:

You talking about me? 

I think it's a damn eagle from the war variety.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You talking about me? 

Nope!

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I know it's not. I'm just tired of seeing the back & forth on it since most opinions on it aren't changing. At this point I look at it like beating a dead horse. But as you know, you are free to carry on.

There hasn't been much back and forth on it all summer. And the person I'm referencing deserves it TBQH. I can be petty with the best of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now