JB Grimes- Thoughts?

McLoofus

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Other coaches get lots of love spread throughout the recruiting forum, across many threads. And rightfully so. I'm doing everyone a kindness and keeping the Grimes discussion here. 

When there is a Mayo thread, I'll focus the conversation on him there.

Article could have been put in the recruiting thread & stay recruit focused.

When JB wins a big battle he can get love too. The last & only big timer he won was Braden Smith & the competition wasn't stiff either relative to other big time recruits, TCU.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Take a step back L:oof. Bottom line is all the nice things some recruits say about him don't mean Jack until he gets some big time signatures. Until he starts winning some major battles people are justified in their opinion if they feel he is a recruiting liability.

Yes, it would seem that we're all entitled to our opinions. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Article could have been put in the recruiting thread & stay recruit focused.

When JB wins a big battle he can get love too. The last & only big timer he won was Braden Smith & the competition wasn't stiff either relative to other big time recruits, TCU.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes they are but fact is to not be a recruiting liability you have to win battles for some top guys. Until JB puts recruiting Ws on the board he is a liability in terms of landing big time recruits. I like JB. He's a good dude. Met him a few times. Very nice & personable. However, I take off the O & B glasses when evaluating him. As a recruiter where everything means soo much in the trenches, especially in the SEC, JB is a sub par recruiter for this level & there is just no other way to cut it based on results to this point.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yes they are but fact is to not be a recruiting liability you have to win battles for some top guys. Until JB puts recruiting Ws on the board he is a liability in terms of landing big time recruits. I like JB. He's a good dude. Met him a few times. Very nice & personable. However, I take off the O & B glasses when evaluating him. As a recruiter where everything means soo much in the trenches, especially in the SEC, JB is a sub par recruiter for this level & there is just no other way to cut it based on results to this point.

Ok. I'm not really arguing otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ok. I'm not really arguing otherwise. 

Ok. Then I don't see the point. Lol

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JB is a sub par recruiter for this level

It's starting to look like Horton is too, but I don't see the lack of love for him that JB gets. IMO they are both probably better coaches than recruiters and you need good coaches as well.

I’d put that slightly differently. Until he either wins the big battles or has perennial success with his recruits, people are allowed to complain. If he’s pumping out quality on the field each year, he becomes a proven scouter, and no one can justifiably complain about his recruiting. That’ll take some time to bear out or not. 

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

t's starting to look like Horton is too, but I don't see the lack of love for him that JB gets

Horton's been getting it in the RB threads, especially recently.

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

you need good coaches as well.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

That’ll take some time to bear out or not.

Not sure he'll be around that long this time.

@ellitor, I'm not either, but we've had that type of recruiting approach work well here in the past. Heck, a lot of Tuberville's most successful seasons were built on diamonds in the rough. I was just pointing out that a coach can earn a pass in recruiting by either landing big fish or proving that he needs the guys he lands, not the guys he missed.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I’d put that slightly differently. Until he either wins the big battles or has perennial success with his recruits, people are allowed to complain. If he’s pumping out quality on the field each year, he becomes a proven scouter, and no one can justifiably complain about his recruiting. That’ll take some time to bear out or not. 

We should know this season, right? 

Kim/Wanogho/Horton/Harrell are all part of the 2015 class JGrimes would've evaluated at the HS level & recruited to AU.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

We should know this season, right? 

Kim/Wanogho/Horton/Harrell are all part of the 2015 class JGrimes would've evaluated at the HS level & recruited to AU.

Only problem is they were under Hand's tutelage for 2 years, went through an OC change in the middle of that, had Hand come back down to the sideline middle of last year, went through... 4?... QBs in those 2 years..... Okay, so that's several problems, but you catch my drift. Those guys haven't been developed on JB's watch so it's not a great barometer IMO. 

And I think Wanogho was recruited as a DE and then moved to OL post-Grimes but I could have the timing wrong. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only problem is they were under Hand's tutelage for 2 years, went through an OC change in the middle of that, had Hand come back down to the sideline middle of last year, went through... 4?... QBs in those 2 years..... Okay, so that's several problems, but you catch my drift. Those guys haven't been developed on JB's watch so it's not a great barometer IMO. 

And I think Wanogho was recruited as a DE and then moved to OL post-Grimes but I could have the timing wrong. 

Thanks for the back ground info.

8 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Positive results on the playing field will outweigh any deficiency in recruiting. 

Not necessarily. Still have to land talented kids or continue developing less talented kids.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

continue developing less talented kids.

This is my point, Mr. Contrary. Grimes ability to get the most out of his available material outweighs whatever shortcomings he may have as a recruiter. This season should show us should the line play well. Seems Hand was lauded as a recruiter but that did not translate so well to the field.

4 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This is my point, Mr. Contrary. Grimes ability to get the most out of his available material outweighs whatever shortcomings he may have as a recruiter. This season should show us should the line play well. Seems Hand was lauded as a recruiter but that did not translate so well to the field.

It hasn’t been consistently shown yet that he can though is my point. Also it’s a very difficult job to continue to coach less talented kids up to SEC level.  Lastly, I wasn’t trying to be Mr. Contrary. Just giving the full picture.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

All points to development - getting the stars on campus is one part of the job - making them into SEC level players is another part of the job.  Highly ranked stars that are workout warriors and great athletes still have to be taught, trained, and developed into SEC level players.  Some coaches have a history of having strong player development programs in place - other programs are deficient in this area.

IMO, J. Grimes is a coach this program needed back badly - he'll get it done!  WDE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I posted this in the Football Forum regarding starting OL  - applies to this thread as well.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure he'll be around that long this time.

Has he informed someone of his plans for the future? If so, will he retire/accept another job in  one, two, three years? How long is "not that long"

Honestly, it is rare to find an individual  who is great at both recruitment and development. The collective usually end up on dynasty teams, which doesn’t happen very often. Here and there you might have one specialty group that is consistently great but I think it also depends on your region too. I am fine with JB Grimes from a recruiting standpoint, as long as he is developing the boys he gets to play at a high level. I’ve seen enough A list recruiters, who kids play way below expectations. I watched our wonderful 2nd rounder get abused by A down lineman who originally wasn’t even going to get invited to the combine.

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not when they are wrong....?     and some folks on this forum will quickly explain that to you....:)

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not when they are wrong....?     and some folks on this forum will quickly explain that to you....:)

Hey! I resemble that remark. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Honestly, it is rare to find an individual  who is great at both recruitment and development. The collective usually end up on dynasty teams, which doesn’t happen very often. Here and there you might have one specialty group that is consistently great but I think it also depends on your region too. I am fine with JB Grimes from a recruiting standpoint, as long as he is developing the boys he gets to play at a high level. I’ve seen enough A list recruiters, who kids play way below expectations. I watched are wonderful 2nd rounder get abused by A down lineman who originally wasn’t even going to get invited to the combine.

Well said.  

As evidenced right this very moment, isn't the current OL roster peppered with a few highly rated recruits who have apparently under-performed to this point (under Hand)?

I'm REAL curious to see how these same players perform this season.  Then, we'll probably have more of a consensus on the value of Coach Grimes.

And, depending on how long he stays at AU, obviously we'll know more about any recruiting prowess come signing day '19, '20, etc....

Sometimes you just need a coach that can flat-out COACH!!

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well said.  

As evidenced right this very moment, isn't the current OL roster peppered with a few highly rated recruits who have apparently under-performed to this point (under Hand)?

I'm REAL curious to see how these same players perform this season.  Then, we'll probably have more of a consensus on the value of Coach Grimes.

And, depending on how long he stays at AU, obviously we'll know more about any recruiting prowess come signing day '19, '20, etc....

Sometimes you just need a coach that can flat-out COACH!!

JMO but not many offensive linemen hit their physical peak in HS and evaluating a coach on who he signs is not near as significant as evaluating a coach based on who he has playing as Juniors and Seniors.   

And another view...if you are playing a lot of freshmen and sophs in the OL your team (and QB) is probably gonna have a hard season.   Back in the old days before the early draft, it was pretty standard for the better schools to redshirt all their young OL candidates and their starting OL was typically senior-laden with some juniors as back-ups.    Maturity (physical and mental) is a key factor and coaching to take advantage it. . 

Archived