McLoofus

JB Grimes- Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except Grimes really didn't recruit him.  The depth chart, conference, and team competitiveness sold him on AU.

Whose to say those factors didnt matter to the recruits that he "pulled in"      All im saying is that it happened under his watch  if we want to pick and choose who he gets credit for and who came here out of the love of all things Auburn we are going to have a harder time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




9 hours ago, Mikey said:

What makes you think that? Are there multiple sources saying Grimes isn't recruiting? Right here is the only place I've seen such a sentiment. I don't frequent other places on the web but I do still know people on campus. This thing about Grimes not recruiting is not being said in IRL conversations, at least by the people I talk to.

Grimes isn’t hitting the road a lot. Isn’t making rounds like the others. Does help when the kids are on campus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Whose to say those factors didnt matter to the recruits that he "pulled in"      All im saying is that it happened under his watch  if we want to pick and choose who he gets credit for and who came here out of the love of all things Auburn we are going to have a harder time. 

Except the pitch to a GT is not the same to a HS recruit and it is typically handled by the coordinators and HC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Grimes not just travel up north and visit a kid?  Maybe I’m mistaken.  

Plus you don’t hire a JB Grimes for his recruiting

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Did Grimes not just travel up north and visit a kid?  Maybe I’m mistaken.  

Plus you don’t hire a JB Grimes for his recruiting

New Jersey I believe! Ross kid said “I think Coach Grimes is great man,” he said. “The thing that stood out to me when we were talking was how he told me that he believes every player should be coached differently and I believe that is true… by the end of that conversation we had, I had a good feeling about Coach Grimes.”

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Except Grimes really didn't recruit him.  The depth chart, conference, and team competitiveness sold him on AU.

So, if one comes here it's not to Grimes's credit, but if one doesn't choose Auburn it's Grimes's fault. Got it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, if one comes here it's not to Grimes's credit, but if one doesn't choose Auburn it's Grimes's fault. Got it!

Grimes isn't a heavy hitter in the recruiting realm but should be an easy sell as far as coaching/teaching for other recruiters on the team.  But I agree we need to stop labeling guys on the staff as great, good, bad or whatever as a recruiter, It's all about how they work together to get a class they/we want.   We heard enough about "Goober" Brown when he first came and seems we might be as talented as ever in the defensive backfield. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Grimes isn't a heavy hitter in the recruiting realm but should be an easy sell as far as coaching/teaching for other recruiters on the team.  But I agree we need to stop labeling guys on the staff as great, good, bad or whatever as a recruiter, It's all about how they work together to get a class they/we want.   We heard enough about "Goober" Brown when he first came and seems we might be as talented as ever in the defensive backfield. 

Yep. Everybody else gets/got a pass their first year or two because it "takes time to build relationships". Grimes was labeled a loser in recruiting by some before he ever got his bags unpacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing, or no one will accelerate recruiting as much as winning big and having great draft years. AU had a really big year last year, and our current roster is capable of an even bigger season. If we fulfill our potential on the field, while having another big draft year, winning top recruiting battles will happen more and more frequently. Even for our O-Line coach. WDE!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, if one comes here it's not to Grimes's credit, but if one doesn't choose Auburn it's Grimes's fault. Got it!

No, you don't.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

Not sure about everyone else, but I'd say "great, way to go JB!"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

We’d say “we still don’t have any OTs!” (kidding not kidding)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, au_bsci_04 said:

We’d say “we still don’t have any OTs!” (kidding not kidding)

You're right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

From post above  clearly he came despite of his position coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say “way to go TWill!!” No way he comes otherwise, amirite? ?

My take is, corch is right. You don’t hire Grimes to be a knockout recruiter. BUT he doesn’t get a pass all the way. We need to finish strong in this class. If we add someone like Putnam or Webb, this is a very  good class. Very good. If we add one of those cats plus another Tackle, it’s the best crew we’ve signed in years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

I ate crow with Kodicat. Don’t mind eating a second helping.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

You don’t hire Grimes to be a knockout recruiter. BUT he doesn’t get a pass all the way. We need to finish strong in this class.

This is how I feel about it.  However, he needs to be able win some battles like he did this year with Jones(even though RG was his primary).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

Ya did yer job!

 

 

 

 

 

I’d also be thrilled to bits, shake his hand, and be super stoked about a lot of things

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grimes is my selection on the man crush topic in the main forum.  I believe the impact he will have on this offensive line and their development will do most of the recruiting for him.  He’s a great teacher and has that higher expectation of you regardless if you’re a walk on or a first team all American.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not going to lose any sleep over whether or not JB is a super recruiter. What he brings to the table with teaching our OL to become a super unit is well worth any shortcomings on the recruiting trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, corchjay said:

What does everyone say if,  if he lands the top player in the state and a 5* offensive lineman?  

We going down this road again. We are not getting Webb. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We going down this road again. We are not getting Webb. 

You can't know that. You may suspect that we won't get him, you may think that we won't get him, but you cannot know that we won't get him. Posting in absolutes about things that are not absolute makes your occasional miss rather more sensational than anyone's miss needs to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We going down this road again. We are not getting Webb. 

 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You can't know that. You may suspect that we won't get him, you may think that we won't get him, but you cannot know that we won't get him. Posting in absolutes about things that are not absolute makes your occasional miss rather more sensational than anyone's miss needs to be.

Or does he...  hahaha just kidding with y'all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We going down this road again. We are not getting Webb. 

We may not get him but have you heard why he has shown the initiative and  picked up the communication with Auburn a lot lately?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now