Wiley to enter his name into the Draft

WFE12

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

"1. Mo Bamba (7'10)"

Mein Gott

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa I had no idea Wiley was only 6'8. That's not optimal size for a guy with no offensive game outside of 8 feet. But that wingspan is impressive

But I guess this new rule where players aren't allowed to play barefoot puts him around the 6'10 range which isn't bad at all

Height shorter then expected but his wingspan and standing reach are solid. He has been working out at 5% body fat. He is in much better shape then when he showed up at Auburn with that conditioning level I wonder how much that has impacted his speed and quickness? It will be interesting to see if his draft stock goes up or down after this combine. Anybody know how long after the combine the scouting evaluations will come out and also impact on draft position?

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He plays pretty big. His defense and rebounding are good enough to get drafted imo. His O will improve in the association.

Well can you really miss what you never truly had? We had a high school version of Wiley for 2 months. He's lookin pretty damn good. Those are some nice numbers in 19 minutes.

He's still not on any draft projection I've seen. At this point, I'll be a little surprised if he stays in.

40 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He's still not on any draft projection I've seen. At this point, I'll be a little surprised if he stays in.

I suspect things change after the combine is completed. If he keeps playing this way some team will take a chance on him. With that type of production, I'm with my guy @ClaytonAU... He's gone

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I suspect things change after the combine is completed. If he keeps playing this way some team will take a chance on him. With that type of production, I'm with my guy @ClaytonAU... He's gone

He also had five fouls in those 19 minutes. He may not be ready.

Guys, Wiley is gone. I know to some it may not seem that way, but I promise you... Wiley will never play at Auburn again. 

In tbe third scrimmage:

Appears all players are filling up the stat sheet. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I think somebody will take a chance on him as well. 

He may stay in, but I don’t expect him to get drafted. He doesn’t fit particularly well in the modern NBA. Same deal as Heron. It’s not that they lack talent. It’s about fit. Wiley can’t stretch the floor and isn’t an explosive rim runner. He needs post touches in a league moving more and more to screen-roll or motion basketball. And he isn’t a prolific post scorer like Embiid or Boogie. Without significant development, he’s a Greg Monroe type player. 

If he’s in the draft, he’s a second round flyer or undrafted. Nothing wrong with it if that’s what he wants. He just needs to be ready to grind for $30k in the G League or ready to work against grown men overseas. 

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

He may stay in, but I don’t expect him to get drafted. He doesn’t fit particularly well in the modern NBA. Same deal as Heron. It’s not that they lack talent. It’s about fit. Wiley can’t stretch the floor and isn’t an explosive rim runner. He needs post touches in a league moving more and more to screen-roll or motion basketball. And he isn’t a prolific post scorer like Embiid or Boogie. Without significant development, he’s a Greg Monroe type player. 

If he’s in the draft, he’s a second round flyer or undrafted. Nothing wrong with it if that’s what he wants. He just needs to be ready to grind for $30k in the G League or ready to work against grown men overseas. 

Couldn’t agree more. Wiley’s game fits the NBA of 20 years ago - he’s a prototypical example of a guy who could be a college star but not translate to the next level. At best today he’s a poor man’s Tristan Thompson. That said, I think he could be a monster next year if he comes back to Auburn.

I also wonder if these guys have considered the boost to their draft stock that would come with a deep tournament run. 

45 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Wiley’s game fits the NBA of 20 years ago - he’s a prototypical example of a guy who could be a college star but not translate to the next level. At best today he’s a poor man’s Tristan Thompson. That said, I think he could be a monster next year if he comes back to Auburn.

I also wonder if these guys have considered the boost to their draft stock that would come with a deep tournament run. 

Not sure what Wiley's game is like...he was not here or on the floor enough for me to get a true impression of how good he can be....college or NBA....but he's almost 7 feet and you can't take that away from him and he has the physical attributes..  I don't follow the NBA but from what I see, about every roster has several big guys, some not particularly mobile, not much from outside ....but getting some minutes every night and making millions.      

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what Wiley's game is like...he was not here or on the floor enough for me to get a true impression of how good he can be....college or NBA....but he's almost 7 feet and you can't take that away from him and he has the physical attributes..  I don't follow the NBA but from what I see, about every roster has several big guys, some not particularly mobile, not much from outside ....but getting some minutes every night and making millions.      

He checked in at 6 ft 8 at the combine but he did have a 7 ft 5 inches wingspan.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He checked in at 6 ft 8 at the combine but he did have a 7 ft 5 inches wingspan.

OOPS....that changes things 

What caused him to lose those 3 inches?     Though I did think while he was at AU he did not look a lot taller than  Spencer....but then again, who knows how tall Spencer really is.   

We need a "truth in measuring" rule or something ...getting where you can't trust much of anything you see on a sports roster page. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OOPS....that changes things 

What caused him to lose those 3 inches?     Though I did think while he was at AU he did not look a lot taller than  Spencer....but then again, who knows how tall Spencer really is.   

We need a "truth in measuring" rule or something ...getting where you can't trust much of anything you see on a sports roster page. 

combination of shoes and the typical college thing always giving the player a extra inch or 2. Like in football in the media guide saying a player weighs more than he really is.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:17 AM, Tiger said:

Whoa I had no idea Wiley was only 6'8. That's not optimal size for a guy with no offensive game outside of 8 feet. But that wingspan is impressive

But I guess this new rule where players aren't allowed to play barefoot puts him around the 6'10 range which isn't bad at all

I would want Udoka Azubuike's shoes if it were me. They seem to be at least a half inch taller that everyone else's based on the numbers. ?

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What caused him to lose those 3 inches?  

When he wears shoes he’s around 6’10. They measured him with and without shoes. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

combination of shoes and the typical college thing always giving the player a extra inch or 2. Like in football in the media guide saying a player weighs more than he really is.

I've lost about an inch in height since I've aged.......try to fudge it but my doctor won't let me wear my shoes when he checks me......need to talk with him about that.

But I've known for years that many of the numbers at boosted a bit....which eventually comes back to bite the kids ...and makes it obvious why the pro teams do their own physical stats.   Finding a guy is 6'-8 and not 6'-11  can make a big difference in how he is viewed by potential employers. 

I'm thinking he will not be playing NBA next year....maybe or maybe not  at AU ....but not NBA unless he has greatly improved his shooting. 

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The poster you responded to is correct. Got to be able to space the floor even as a center. That is what the league is moving to. Even the Center Position. That is why Ayton the number 1 prospect is the perfect fit for todays NBA. He is a big man who can shoot the 3 and also is a elite athlete who can run the floor and block shots on the other end. Wiley def has that rugged 90's nba game to him for a big man. Which is to say his range right now is just right around the basket.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I've lost about an inch in height since I've aged.......try to fudge it but my doctor won't let me wear my shoes when he checks me......need to talk with him about that.

But I've known for years that many of the numbers at boosted a bit....which eventually comes back to bite the kids ...and makes it obvious why the pro teams do their own physical stats.   Finding a guy is 6'-8 and not 6'-11  can make a big difference in how he is viewed by potential employers. 

I'm thinking he will not be playing NBA next year....maybe or maybe not  at AU ....but not NBA unless he has greatly improved his shooting. 

well said 64!!! perfect observation. Love it.

Archived