Wiley to enter his name into the Draft

WFE12

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The poster you responded to is correct. Got to be able to space the floor even as a center. That is what the league is moving to. Even the Center Position. That is why Ayton the number 1 prospect is the perfect fit for todays NBA. He is a big man who can shoot the 3 and also is a elite athlete who can run the floor and block shots on the other end. Wiley def has that rugged 90's nba game to him for a big man. Which is to say his range right now is just right around the basket.

Interestingly it’s actually McClemore with the more pro-style game. The NBA of 2018 is about centers that can protect the rim and switch in the pick and roll on defense, and finish at the rim and step out and space the floor on O. 

None of this is to say that Wiley couldn’t be a dominant force in the SEC - especially if he can run the floor with our guard-heavy lineups. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Interestingly it’s actually McClemore with the more pro-style game. The NBA of 2018 is about centers that can protect the rim and switch in the pick and roll on defense, and finish at the rim and step out and space the floor on O. 

None of this is to say that Wiley couldn’t be a dominant force in the SEC - especially if he can run the floor with our guard-heavy lineups. 

on the money!!!! If Mclemore was just a few inches taller he would be a big time prospect for sure. He does everything well you just named.

From my view, Okeke is the big with the best NBA prospects in our team. He can sniff 40% from 3; he can block shots; and he has the lateral quickness to switch on defense. He needs to learn to be more assertive on both ends, but he has the raw tools to play in the NBA. 

To be clear, Wiley has a place. He has a great standing reach and size/strength that allow him to play bigger than his height. He’s a plus plus rebounder, and he has tools on offense. But he has to be about the little things. He needs to set better screens. He needs to bump up his FT % to take advantage of his girth inside drawing fouls. He needs to be efficient on offense, making his move quickly or drawing a double and passing out. He needs to work on perimeter defense because he’ll be forced into the screen game defensively. 

He can block shots. He can score. He can rebound. But he’s not ready for the NBA. I expect him to develop over the next two years, whether that’s at Auburn, in the G league, or overseas. 

If Heron comes back, he should demand that we play him as the backup PG. to me, that’s how he bumps his draft stock. Improve as a ball handler/creator to show teams he can work as a secondary play maker opposite the main screen action. That’s an important role. If he continues to improve from distance, defends at a high level across three positions, and operates as a secondary creator, he’ll have a place in the league. Right now, he can’t do that last thing. 

Heron and Wiley both just need reps to stretch their game. 

Some people on here that I respect especially after finding out Wiley is only 6'8" seem to think he could be a great college center or old time NBA center but don't think he fits today's game. That said who thinks we will have him back this year after reviewing what information we were given from the combine.

50 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Some people on here that I respect especially after finding out Wiley is only 6'8" seem to think he could be a great college center or old time NBA center but don't think he fits today's game. That said who thinks we will have him back this year after reviewing what information we were given from the combine.

I think that's depends on what information Wiley himself is given, plus the financial situation of his family. They shouldn't be hurting but I am puzzled as to why they took a few bucks from Person. In short, I don't have a clue.

I didn’t realize that we got to add 2” to our height just because we wear shoes. Awesome! I just went from 6’1 to 6’3 instantaneously. :)

Oh- and if he does come back, his listed height of 6’11” on the AU basketball website needs to change. Cat is out of the bag, no going back.  

All things considered, Wiley should return, but at the end of the day he will do what the fam wants more than likely. He will definitely make us a much better team if he does return, but although what Ive seen if him is limited, I havent seen anything yet that makes me think he's all world like I expected. Still he could improve, and we definitely need his wide body. Seems all the signs are telling him to stay in Auburn, not that it matters in the end.

18 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Oh- and if he does come back, his listed height of 6’11” on the AU basketball website needs to change. Cat is out of the bag, no going back.  

It's Auburn. I almost guarantee you it won't.

Don’t get me wrong. Healthy and in game shape, he’s a monster on the glass who can own the paint. With our four-out offense, he’s capable of being dominant. Especially in college. See below at the USAB U-20 team practice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyletucker_sec/status/877689410938183680

But he’ll have a different role in the NBA because he’s not good enough offensively to build your system around. He may be good enough in college. 

When will all of the NBA early enrollment stop this year?  I wish the time frame would be reduced to maybe 6 weeks at the most. 

On 5/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, Mikey said:

I think that's depends on what information Wiley himself is given, plus the financial situation of his family. They shouldn't be hurting but I am puzzled as to why they took a few bucks from Person. In short, I don't have a clue.

I can tell you right now to never assume any former professional athlete or their family are in good financial situations.  Our firm specifically stays away from athletes, celebrities, and sometimes doctors because their financial lives are so short.  Of course there are exceptions as I have a few clients in those realms, but they typically spend the money faster than they get it. 

On 5/19/2018 at 3:02 PM, mcgufcm said:

From my view, Okeke is the big with the best NBA prospects in our team. He can sniff 40% from 3; he can block shots; and he has the lateral quickness to switch on defense. He needs to learn to be more assertive on both ends, but he has the raw tools to play in the NBA. 

To be clear, Wiley has a place. He has a great standing reach and size/strength that allow him to play bigger than his height. He’s a plus plus rebounder, and he has tools on offense. But he has to be about the little things. He needs to set better screens. He needs to bump up his FT % to take advantage of his girth inside drawing fouls. He needs to be efficient on offense, making his move quickly or drawing a double and passing out. He needs to work on perimeter defense because he’ll be forced into the screen game defensively. 

He can block shots. He can score. He can rebound. But he’s not ready for the NBA. I expect him to develop over the next two years, whether that’s at Auburn, in the G league, or overseas. 

Is Chuma considered a big, especially at the next level? He's listed at 6'8 so we can safely assume he's an inch or 2 shorter. But at his listed height would make him ideal for a SF in today's NBA I think, but it's unlikely he's that tall. His true measurables could make it tough to slot him as PF at the next level. He's not a particularly explosive athlete, but he is immensely skilled. However, I'm worried of the lack of height for his prospects in the NBA. He could make it work on a team that utilizes a small ball system like Golden State or Houston but even most of these SF/PF hybrids seem to be taller (I'm thinking Tobias Harris types). If Wiley is a true 6'8, Chuma has to be what? 6'6? 

Wiley Okeke

This is not to disparage Chuma, btw. I freaking love his game and what he can do for us in our system. He can be one hell of a player for us and I am soooo looking forward to watching him grow. He's so naturally skilled that he can be such a problem for defenses. He hit some big time shots for us as a freshman last year and I think he will get better as his role expands.

14 hours ago, doc4aday said:

When will all of the NBA early enrollment stop this year?  I wish the time frame would be reduced to maybe 6 weeks at the most. 

They had to declare a month ago. They have 10 days after the combine ends to say if they are coming back or not.

JMO but Chuma has the best prospects for the NBA if he sticks around......already has the size and a fairly good shot,   is somewhat quick , etc.....and a couple years of physical maturity should help him greatly. 

Otherwise, the other NBA wannabes  have some issues that they may or may not overcome....mostly from the size vs basketball skills standpoint.     Yet......if they stay at AU for a year or two, we could be one of those teams with junior and senior experience and leadership that can overcome some of the more talented teams who don't seem to gel as a "team".   

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Chuma has the best prospects for the NBA if he sticks around......already has the size and a fairly good shot,   is somewhat quick , etc.....and a couple years of physical maturity should help him greatly. 

Otherwise, the other NBA wannabes  have some issues that they may or may not overcome....mostly from the size vs basketball skills standpoint.     Yet......if they stay at AU for a year or two, we could be one of those teams with junior and senior experience and leadership that can overcome some of the more talented teams who don't seem to gel as a "team".   

I’m so high on him, especially after the Bama game at home earlier this year. Guy has professional stretch 4 written all over him with a bit more development. 

I know everyone wants to know what is going to happen here and with the rest of the players that declared but I think it's a great idea. You go and get evaluated by the best and they tell you what you need to work on and then you make a decision. Personally I think they all come back. But I do think finding out from the professionals what you need to work on is a great idea!!! Calapari has most of his players do it.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

39 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I’m so high on him, especially after the Bama game at home earlier this year. Guy has professional stretch 4 written all over him with a bit more development. 

I'm also very high on Chuma (Tennessee game, Bama game as you mentioned, among other good performances and his craftiness around the rim is so fun to watch) and I hope my above post did not seem like I was not -- but this recent news regarding Wiley's measurables dampened my optimism for Chuma's prospects at the next level. The most recent data that I could find (2016) was that the average PF is 6'9.2 in the NBA. Chuma is listed at 6'8, but take off a few inches there for accuracy. He's a little undersized at the 4 and to make up for this he would need to be elite in explosiveness -- and he's a "skill" guy rather than an "athlete" guy IMO. He's most likely right around the average SF size in the NBA (6'7.2 is average height in 2016 for NBA SF) but is he laterally quick enough to play with NBA SFs? In college he has the potential to be an All-SEC player as a stretch 4 and I hope to see him blossom into this but I'm not so sure about his NBA prospects anymore. Based purely on size, has nothing to do with his talent ability. I think we all can agree he has the tools to be an absolute force.

For what it's worth, I don't think the height difference between Chuma and Austin is as great as it looks in that picture. Here's a different one:

Image result for wiley okeke usa basketball

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

For what it's worth, I don't think the height difference between Chuma and Austin is as great as it looks in that picture. Here's a different one:

Image result for wiley okeke usa basketball

Very interesting. Well, I don't know what to think now really. I hope he becomes a lottery pick regardless.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Very interesting. Well, I don't know what to think now really. I hope he becomes a lottery pick regardless.

Photo shopped?   these days, who knows :dunno:    If you like I can make either one of them 7'-1 in bare feet. 

Archived