Wiley to enter his name into the Draft

WFE12

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Wouldn’t akingbola be the only true 4 on the team?  Seems we need his grit, rebounding and defense ... assuming those translate from HS to college

Depth won’t be a problem at 4/5. Better to let him develop.

Be awesome if he’s hitting the floor at the same time as Okoro. 

10 hours ago, jared52 said:

Press them together and ask God to help Wiley stay eligible and healthy through the end of next season.

Press them together lol 

36 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

That is just sick!  As long as Brown broke his slump.  Lol. 

7 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Could be the start of something big in basketball

Ha, I’d say it already started. 

My starting 5:

Harper, Brown, Purifoy, McLemore, Wiley

We then have Samir as backup PG and shooting guard. Okeke can play the 3,4,or 5. Dunbar can do the 3 or 4 and then Spencer coming in as a solid backup at the 5 and 4. That is a group of guys that you can do a lot of different things with. We need Okeke to take the next step but if he does we can have a lot of length and scoring on the court at one time

42 minutes ago, gravejd said:

My starting 5:

Harper, Brown, Purifoy, McLemore, Wiley

We then have Samir as backup PG and shooting guard. Okeke can play the 3,4,or 5. Dunbar can do the 3 or 4 and then Spencer coming in as a solid backup at the 5 and 4. That is a group of guys that you can do a lot of different things with. We need Okeke to take the next step but if he does we can have a lot of length and scoring on the court at one time

I'd have Okeke at the 4 to start. 

1 Harper Brown Doughty

2 Brown Doughty Purifoy

3 Purifoy Dunbar Doughty

4 Okeke Spencer McLemore

5 Wiley McLemore Spencer Okeke

Still hoping for a GT PG/CG to enter the mix and give us another option in the point. Either way that's a solid rotation barring injury at 1 or 2. 

i just don't see how you don't start McLemore. Dude is so explosive running the floor and his defense on the inside is top notch. If he can improve his 3 just a touch then there isn't a whole lot of difference in his and Okeke's offensive game. I also like the lineup of having Purifoy at the 3 okeke at the 4 and McLemore at the 5. That gives us size and scoring ability from everywhere on the floor and creates crazy matchup problems on D as well. Man Pearl is going to have fun next year!

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i just don't see how you don't start McLemore. Dude is so explosive running the floor and his defense on the inside is top notch. If he can improve his 3 just a touch then there isn't a whole lot of difference in his and Okeke's offensive game. I also like the lineup of having Purifoy at the 3 okeke at the 4 and McLemore at the 5. That gives us size and scoring ability from everywhere on the floor and creates crazy matchup problems on D as well. Man Pearl is going to have fun next year!

He'll see minutes there, but Anfernee's minutes will mostly come at the 5. Chuma is more versatile. Better with the ball on the floor and a better shooter.

I'm hoping in his year off that DP has gotten more versatile and is not restricted to playing just one position.   He and most of that line-up have the size and physical tools to play all over the floor and can be a match-up problem for about every team in the SEC.   JMO.....but I don't look forward to watching a guy his size standing out at the 3 point line waiting on his shot to come open. 

43 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He'll see minutes there, but Anfernee's minutes will mostly come at the 5. Chuma is more versatile. Better with the ball on the floor and a better shooter.

Hard to argue that Okeke has a better offensive game based on last year. Much better off the dribble no doubt and mid range do doubt. I'm not as convinced of Okeke's 3 point shoot being that much better...but we are comparing a freshmen and Sophmore here. I think McLemore has okeke on the D side and rebounding. But again not a lot of separation. Going to be 2 players i really enjoy watching grow next year

41 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Hard to argue that Okeke has a better offensive game based on last year. Much better off the dribble no doubt and mid range do doubt. I'm not as convinced of Okeke's 3 point shoot being that much better...but we are comparing a freshmen and Sophmore here.

I am. Anfernee and Chuma led us in three point percentage last year at .391, but the number of shots overall and the nature of the shots needs to be considered. Chuma took and made more per game, and under more contested circumstances. Anfernee could get better open looks because he was playing the 5. Stick him at 4 and that percentage goes down because many of those open looks are now contested.

41 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think McLemore has okeke on the D side and rebounding. But again not a lot of separation. Going to be 2 players i really enjoy watching grow next year

They play a different kind of game defensively. Anfernee's best defensive attribute is his shot blocking. He's a rim protector. Putting him on the perimeter will take him away from the basket, and who knows how he'll hold up out there when matched up with twitchy stretch 4s. Better to play to his strengths.

I don't think Chuma will ever be an elite defender, but I expect him to be solid after a year of development and not as much of a liability as he was in his freshman campaign. One thing I do believe is that his skillset is more preferable for the perimeter than Anfernee's

From the rhetoric heard throughout the year, including the tweet from DP himself on page 1 of thread, I think Purifoy will ball this year.  Being suspended a year (+ 9 games) will humble you quickly and get you Hangry!  I think he will be ready to eat.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I am. Anfernee and Chuma led us in three point percentage last year at .391, but the number of shots overall and the nature of the shots needs to be considered. Chuma took and made more per game, and under more contested circumstances. Anfernee could get better open looks because he was playing the 5. Stick him at 4 and that percentage goes down because many of those open looks are now contested.

They play a different kind of game defensively. Anfernee's best defensive attribute is his shot blocking. He's a rim protector. Putting him on the perimeter will take him away from the basket, and who knows how he'll hold up out there when matched up with twitchy stretch 4s. Better to play to his strengths.

I don't think Chuma will ever be an elite defender, but I expect him to be solid after a year of development and not as much of a liability as he was in his freshman campaign. One thing I do believe is that his skillset is more preferable for the perimeter than Anfernee's

Poor wording on my part. I agree that Okeke has a better all around offensive game then McLemore. But i also think Okeke gets slightly over hyped due to the Tenn game. 

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Hopefully they will play as a TEAM.

My hope as well.  They seem to all be great friends that is important.

We may be ok if we stay healthy at the guard spots with Harper/Samir/Brown.

Brown should not play PG in any important moment for us IMO (not a shot at the kid, but it just flatly is not his game -- he was good for at least one fumbling of the ball when trying to size up a defender -- lol, not even trying to get by someone, but just stationary dribbling on the perimeter about to make a move), but if our 3 guard rotation is Harper and Brown starting and then let Samir sub for Harper to run the 1 and when Harper can come back slide Samir over to 2 and repeat we could actually be ok. But we are 1 turned ankle away from disaster in the backcourt and also I'm only going on the perception that Samir is a combo guard and can handle the point at times.

Problem with starting Samir at 3 (outside of not being his position, and will be undersized there) is that we have no ball handlers left on the team to bring off the bench. I like the prospect of a 3 guard lineup but how do we couldn't run it for too long because who will spell those guys and handle the rock? At this point, only Harper is a true ball handler and Samir is supposed to be able to handle some of that. Of course we won't know until we actually see it.

I really don't want Harper to be playing ~35 minutes a game, he wears down more as the season goes on due to his size and as our PG that's the last spot we can afford that to happen.

I can't envision a scenario where Purifoy is coming off the bench, and he's not playing the four spot. If healthy, I'd say four of our five starting positions are basically locked up starting Game 10 (Harper, Brown, Purifoy, and Wiley).

This team can and should be better than the 2017-18 team. With Bruce secured for the long term, I see nothing but a serious winning streak just starting to unfold beginning this past season. Auburn athletics starting to flex its muscles!  

Our record was damn good last season, so we could very well be a better team but our raw W-L record may not reflect it. Purifoy being inserted into the lineup 9 games in will also probably affect this.

But I will settle for a top 3 SEC finish but stick around for more than 1 game in the SEC tournament and making a respectable run in the NCAA tournament. I think this would be an improvement on last season. We won't be sneaking up on anyone in the conference, so I could see our record taking a bit of a slide but I wouldn't be too mad if our post-season play improves from last year.

There's also a chance that Wiley's presence really takes us to another level. I'm excited to see what we look like next year.

Archived