WFE12

Wiley to enter his name into the Draft

Recommended Posts

And the dominoes keep falling....Though he could come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Wow! Another one?  Next season is getting sketchy instead of showing so much promise.  Next up on the block will be Purifoy in the next couple of days. I don't expect Wiley to come back now.  I still think Harper will be back.  Purifoy will also be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This does not mean he is NOT returning to Auburn next year. Especially since no agent is involved, at not yet.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only surprise to me is that it took so long for the news to be released.  Since he does not have an agent yet (and decency prevents me from making an inappropriate comment here)....I guess it's about 2% possibility he might come back......but probably not more than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft 

The only mock draft that had him going in the first a month or 2 ago now has him going mid second. He stands to benefit the most if he stays. He easily could be a first rounder after next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, are some of y’all actually surprised by this or are y’all yanking my lariat? This was always going to happen. The fact that he’s not going to hire an agent is the best news we could have expected. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Wow! Another one?  Next season is getting sketchy instead of showing so much promise.  Next up on the block will be Purifoy in the next couple of days. I don't expect Wiley to come back now.  I still think Harper will be back.  Purifoy will also be back. 

Expect at least one more not named Purifoy to declare and not sign with an agent. Bruce is encouraging this with his players. I’m not sure Purifoy is going to go through the draft process. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Expect at least one more not named Purifoy to declare and not sign with an agent. Bruce is encouraging this with his players. I’m not sure Purifoy is going to go through the draft process. 

Seems that if a player is not likely to be drafted but wants to go pro, he should shop around for a team where he fits as a free agent....and I'm guessing that basketball outside of the US is totally "free agent" ....and maybe all a player has to do is put his resume' on-line and see what develops.  There are many more (and probably better) options than signing with an NBA team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems that if a player is not likely to be drafted but wants to go pro, he should shop around for a team where he fits as a free agent....and I'm guessing that basketball outside of the US is totally "free agent" ....and maybe all a player has to do is put his resume' on-line and see what develops.  There are many more (and probably better) options than signing with an NBA team.

I don't know about that part.  I guess it comes back to what you consider better.  Either way,  I am certain no other league is paying their players the kind of money that NBA does.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have no for a long time that Wiley was going to put his name in, We all expected Herron and Purifoy to do it also, I think most us were surprised  that herron said he would sign with an Agent and that Harper put his name in also. I am also surprised that Purifoy has not put his name out there and yet and that some think he won't.

Now we need to see what falls out. I would be totally surprised if Harper leaves as his size and inconsistent shot would be hard to overcome, he needs to improve his shot, Purifoy may not even do the combine but I would also expect him to be back. With Wiley it comes down to one if he shows out at combine and his stock goes up then he is gone and rightly so and two how bad does his family need money. Even a mid to late second round player makes money but if that is all he can do if the family can wait one more year he could make a lot more assuming he improves and is not hurt.  There are three possibilities for Wiley at the Combine one he shows out and becomes a first rounder, two he is ok and he stays as a mid to late second round or three he has a bad combine and his stock goes down.

My prediction Harper stays, Purifoy stays and Wiley 60-65% goes. Only reason so high is his family taking money with Person when they knew in a year they would have a big payday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't know about that part.  I guess it comes back to what you consider better.  Either way,  I am certain no other league is paying their players the kind of money that NBA does.  

Gotta make the NBA first....and most will not make it.   Thus, if they don't want to continue in college,  and if they want to get started in "pay for play"...well, legal pay for play..... they need a Plan B.      While it's not like the NBA, lots of US players apparently make a reasonable living over-seas.....better than working some 8-5 job being paid by the hour if they don't plan to graduate college.  

I saw a list of 250 American guys playing basketball in Australia alone....and 6700 world wide.

www.usbasket.com/Americans-Overseas.asp?Country=AUS

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

While it's not like the NBA, lots of US players apparently make a reasonable living over-seas.....better than working some 8-5 job being paid by the hour if they don't plan to graduate college.  

Basketball is catching on globally and more and more are thinking about going overseas despite the major cultural changes. Players like washed up Stephon Marbury are living like Kings/ rockstars/ royalty/ whatever in China (huge fan support) and still draw in couple million a year.  Brandon Jennings and Rubio are other notable players that started off overseas. With that said, I’m sure it’s still extremely hard to adjust.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Basketball is catching on globally and more and more are thinking about going overseas despite the major cultural changes. Players like washed up Stephon Marbury are living like Kings/ rockstars/ royalty/ whatever in China (huge fan support) and still draw in couple million a year.  Brandon Jennings and Rubio are other notable players that started off overseas. With that said, I’m sure it’s still extremely hard to adjust.

And of course there are the Ball brothers.....playing in Latvia or somewhere in a HS gym.   But when the Olympics rolls around it's kind of interesting to see how many countries seem to have a professional league of some sort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’d guess Wiley and Heron are gone but Jared comes back. Still a heck of a team. Gotta get some big men on board somehow though. 

Edited by NoALtiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So I’d guess Wiley and Heron are gone but Jared comes back. Still a heck of a team. Gotta get some big men on board somehow though. 

Wiley is still up in the air, but unlikely to come back. Depends on how he grades out.

This announcement really changes nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be surprised to see Bryce enter his name as well but no agent. His extended cold streak,which has happened two years in a row, probably hurts him in his evaluation. He is NBA caliber long range shooter when on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AUDub said:

Wiley is still up in the air, but unlikely to come back. Depends on how he grades out.

This announcement really changes nothing.

Yes I realize that, his situation is the same as Jerod with the exception that he’s more likely to grade higher and not come back. I’m guessing (or should have said predicting) that he won’t be back. Losing Wiley and Heron, retaining Jerod. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we going to have enough players left to field a team next season? And here I was thinking we would be great and make a run at a maybe even a championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kd4au said:

Are we going to have enough players left to field a team next season? And here I was thinking we would be great and make a run at a maybe even a championship.

I expect we will have some good players to put on the floor next season....it's the team issue that bears watching.  

For a good part of this year the team was better than the sum of the parts....but that's not always a guarantee when it is necessary to replace some key players and the new guys are trying to establish themselves and where they fit.    DP not being eligible until Dec or whenever is not a help either.   BP probably has some work to do on the chemistry issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I would not be surprised to see Bryce enter his name as well but no agent. His extended cold streak,which has happened two years in a row, probably hurts him in his evaluation. He is NBA caliber long range shooter when on. 

Good call Viper !!! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now