hard work ahead for Stidham

WFE12

6H FOOTBALL

A lot of hard work ahead for Stidham

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | Jarrett Stidham can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The rehab process from January’s surgery on his left, non-throwing shoulder is nearly complete and Auburn’s starting quarterback should be released for summer workouts in May.

“I feel like I'm close. I don't know about a percentage, but it's good,” Stidham said.

Stidham suffered a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder at Missouri Sept. 23, playing through the pain and discomfort for the remainder of a season that saw him complete 66.5 percent of his passes for 3,158 yards and 18 touchdowns, the second-most passing yards in an Auburn single season.

Eqckosxadtyrqfnvyaot
Stidham is one of the nation's top returning quarterbacks.
Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com

After sitting out the first four practices of spring, Stidham was cleared on a limited basis and participated in position and 7-on-7 passing drills. He even performed in a short 7-on-7 drill before the start of A-Day, completing 7-of-8 passes.

But being held out of the scrimmages and all the 11-on-11 drills this spring had some advantages according to Stidham.

“Obviously, I love playing. But it's nice to kind of sit back and kind of see everything from Coach (Gus) Malzahn’s perspective,” he said. “I would always be back behind everything with him during practice, so I'm kind of able to see what exactly he's seeing. We talk about things. It was kind of good to get that coach's perspective.”

With Stidham watching from the sidelines during A-Day, Auburn’s quarterbacks had their share of struggles. Sophomore Malik Willis, who was the starter for the Orange team, completed 8-of-20 passes for 45 yards. Freshman Joey Gatewood completed 4-of-16 passes for 0 yards playing mainly for the Blue team.

But Stidham cautioned that it’s not just about the statistics in a spring game, especially working against what should be one of the best defenses in the SEC and without several top offensive players like running back Kam Martin, H-back Chandler Cox, and wide receivers Ryan Davis, Eli Stove and Will Hastings.

Auburn’s top two centers were also out with injuries and Willis and Gatewood were not live, drastically limiting their running ability, which is a big part of their skillset.

Malzahn was quick to point out after the game that Cam Newton was just 3-of-8 in the A-Day game before he won the Heisman Trophy and led Auburn to the national championship in 2010.

“I thought they did a really good job,” said Stidham of Willis and Gatewood. “We can definitely work on some things. That's obviously what film and practice is for, but it's really good to just see them come out here and command the offense, make the right calls, make the right reads, that kind of thing.”

Stidham will be tasked this summer of helping to coach up the younger quarterbacks once workouts and captain’s practices get underway. The fourth-year junior also has some specific personal goals for the rest of the offseason.

“For me, summer, I need to put on some muscle, put on some weight,” Stidham said. “I need to get around 220 and keep what little speed I have.”

For Stidham and Auburn, winter workouts and spring practice were just a warmup for what’s ahead.

“We've got a lot of guys that really have to step up, especially on the offensive line and the running backs,” Stidham said. “A lot of guys left. It's been really good to see those guys improve from week to week. Then again, we have a long way to go, because we're shooting for bigger and better things in 2018. We're going to have to get to work.

“You've got to be locked in the rest of the spring. And when the summer gets here, it's all business. In the summer, that's kind of where everything is molded for that season. I'm excited for it.”

Auburn concludes spring practice with a final workout Tuesday afternoon.

So now we find out he got injured against Missouri. UGA dirty sons of [retracted] didn't help either.

25 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

So now we find out he got injured against Missouri. UGA dirty sons of [retracted] didn't help either.

Hmm. Makes one wonder what could have been and what might yet be. Interesting.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. Makes one wonder what could have been and what might yet be. Interesting.

I mean really idk if it really hampered him at all. He still was killing it afterwards and scrambling to some effect.

Just now, WFE12 said:

I mean really idk if it really hampered him at all. He still was killing it afterwards and scrambling to some effect.

True but maybe it does help explain the some of the sacks he took.  Maybe getting hit just hurt to bad so it was easier to just fall down when the first receiver wasn't open.

I wonder if that injury caused some of his fumbles at the end of the year.

I for one, am glad. he played through the pain and that his injury was never released. I will never forget screaming at my team during the SECCG when uga was pounding on KJ after the play was over. UGHHHH. 

I've always loved Jarrett's go-getter attitude and am hoping that he lights a fire (like Marlon and Derrick have done on defense) throughout that entire offense. 

Well now that many of us are relieved Gus did not mention the injury js took I wonder if it sunk in to the Gus haters. Some always bitch about Gus holding injury info but I bet there is a purpose for it just like keeping js's injury a secret so opposing D's could not tee off on him.

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Well now that many of us are relieved Gus did not mention the injury js took I wonder if it sunk in to the Gus haters. Some always bitch about Gus holding injury info but I bet there is a purpose for it just like keeping js's injury a secret so opposing D's could not tee off on him.

Yep, we don't need to know everything. It was real clear thuga was trying hurt KJ when they knew he was injured.

6 hours ago, kd4au said:

Yep, we don't need to know everything. It was real clear thuga was trying hurt KJ when they knew he was injured.

It still makes me mad. I was SCREAMING at my tv about it and my husband said, "You know that's how uga is."

18 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

It still makes me mad. I was SCREAMING at my tv about it and my husband said, "You know that's how uga is."

Yes!!! Some people pass it off but no that's cruel and inhumane. My level of disgust and dislike for that team rose through the roof that day. I don't care who you are..if you play for THUGA I ain't rootin for ya. 

26 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yes!!! Some people pass it off but no that's cruel and inhumane. My level of disgust and dislike for that team rose through the roof that day. I don't care who you are..if you play for THUGA I ain't rootin for ya. 

What makes it worse is their fans are the first to whine at the hint of one of their players taking a hard hit. To this day, they still complain about Fairley and his 1 questionable hit on their poor QB (which he got flagged for), and even more about the one where he fell into his leg (because you can apparently intentionally fall into a guys leg)... yet for as long as I can remember, they are the kings of cheap shots and extra-curricular activity in the pile, especially when they know someone is hurt.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What makes it worse is their fans are the first to whine at the hint of one of their players taking a hard hit. To this day, they still complain about Fairley and his 1 questionable hit on their poor QB (which he got flagged for), and even more about the one where he fell into his leg (because you can apparently intentionally fall into a guys leg)... yet for as long as I can remember, they are the kings of cheap shots and extra-curricular activity in the pile, especially when they know someone is hurt.

Yep and when karma catches up to them they will wonder why.

• WarTiger changed the title to hard work ahead for Stidham
16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Never seen such a shameless bunch of crybabies in my life. One of the reasons that they have a strong case for being even worse than turd fans.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Never seen such a shameless bunch of crybabies in my life. One of the reasons that they have a strong case for being even worse than turd fans.

Yes.  Just..... Yes.

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Yep and when karma catches up to them they will wonder why.

Gawsh, I hope so!

Grew up a stone's throw from Athens (Ga).  Definitely at the top of my "useless people list".

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The only thing bama fans have that Georgia never will is the sheer number of sidewalk fans who suffer from some level of psychosis. Until Georgia fans start filming themselves teabagging opposing fans in public restaurants, beating up opposing female fans, having their own female fans practice their pro wrestling moves in the stands, intentionally permanently destroying property on rival campus, shooting each other for not loving the team enough, etc, the will never be as bad a bama fans. They will, however, still be supremely annoying.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The only thing bama fans have that Georgia never will is the sheer number of sidewalk fans who suffer from some level of psychosis. Until Georgia fans start filming themselves teabagging opposing fans in public restaurants, beating up opposing female fans, having their own female fans practice their pro wrestling moves in the stands, intentionally permanently destroying property on rival campus, shooting each other for not loving the team enough, etc, the will never be as bad a bama fans. They will, however, still be supremely annoying.

Can't speak for the "filming themselves" portion of your post but again, I grew up with those morons.  You've just described dawg fans to a T.  

The last AU - thUga game I ever attended on their campus (the last for good reason) was 1997 and that's the only physical fight I've ever witnessed at a game, during the game, in the stadium.  One guy was literally trying to kill the other by trying to throw him over the railing!!  They were BOTH Ga fans.  :ucrazy:

A couple years prior my wife (GF at the time) and I went to Athens to watch the game with my buds at their off-campus apt. (Yes, I was friends with Dawgs...). They didn't have tickets so had a party instead....  My truck had a couple AU stickers on it so they actually had to walk us to my truck after the game to help keep a bunch of punks off of us.  And yes, I had to wash all kinds of crap off my truck the next day.

Trust me.  Ga fans suck.  Bammers are arrogant but leg humpers are just mean.

33 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Can't speak for the "filming themselves" portion of your post but again, I grew up with those morons.  You've just described dawg fans to a T.  

The last AU - thUga game I ever attended on their campus (the last for good reason) was 1997 and that's the only physical fight I've ever witnessed at a game, during the game, in the stadium.  One guy was literally trying to kill the other by trying to throw him over the railing!!  They were BOTH Ga fans.  :ucrazy:

A couple years prior my wife (GF at the time) and I went to Athens to watch the game with my buds at their off-campus apt. (Yes, I was friends with Dawgs...). They didn't have tickets so had a party instead....  My truck had a couple AU stickers on it so they actually had to walk us to my truck after the game to help keep a bunch of punks off of us.  And yes, I had to wash all kinds of crap off my truck the next day.

Trust me.  Ga fans suck.  Bammers are arrogant but leg humpers are just mean.

Oh, I know... I went to a game in Athens when I was a student, we won, and after the game, a gray haired old lady tried to spit on me. Still... I've seen just as bad from LSU and especially Florida fans, but I've not seen the bat s**t crazy like I've seen from bama fans anywhere else.  Hell. my senior year, the Iron Bowl was in Auburn. I was walking to class that Friday, crossing a street near the stadium, and I hear a car engine rev. I look up just in time to jump out of the street, as this big white Caddy goes flying by... on the back, a big ol' "Roll Tide" sticker. I'm telling you, Georgia fans are mean and stupid, but bama fans are certifiable. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Oh, I know... I went to a game in Athens when I was a student, we won, and after the game, a gray haired old lady tried to spit on me. Still... I've seen just as bad from LSU and especially Florida fans, but I've not seen the bat s**t crazy like I've seen from bama fans anywhere else.  Hell. my senior year, the Iron Bowl was in Auburn. I was walking to class that Friday, crossing a street near the stadium, and I hear a car engine rev. I look up just in time to jump out of the street, as this big white Caddy goes flying by... on the back, a big ol' "Roll Tide" sticker. I'm telling you, Georgia fans are mean and stupid, but bama fans are certifiable. 

Well far be it from me to actually defend a bammer :cool:

Archived