Desean Murray to transfer or go pro

GwillMac6

This is by far the strangest one yet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is by far the strangest one yet.

It might be a better indicator of who is returning and how little PT he might get

Just now, bigbird said:

It might be a better indicator of who is returning and how little PT he might get

It just seems like he was too vital last year to not get PT. Especially after Heron leaving.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It just seems like he was too vital last year to not get PT. Especially after Heron leaving.

I agree, but he might see McLemore, chuma, and possibly Wiley as too much to showcase himself, especially at his natural position.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but he might see McLemore, chuma, and possibly Wiley as too much to showcase himself, especially at his natural position.

Not sure about that grouping....McLemore had a hard injury and will have to work to come back and odds of Wiley to be here is not that great....and probably Heron gone.  But if Murray gets his degree he might go ahead and do the grad transfer deal and go where he fits better.

But, with all of this action by players who don't have any particular professional basketball future in front of them,  it seems to me that BP should be pushing his recruiting effort right in Auburn. . 

Hard for me to buy the argument that some have made that having a bunch of guys looking to go somewhere else....or maybe play minor league basketball, is good for our recruiting.  This kind of stuff can't be considered as good news...I'm surprised there are so few questions being asked.  

This is why it is SO frustrating following ANYTHING Auburn. We have ONE good season and everything falls apart! This team was going to be absolutely loaded next year - Preseason top 5 for crying out loud! Now we’ve lost 3 players that we should not have lost with the potential of losing two more. This is flipping ridiculous!!

7 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This is why it is SO frustrating following ANYTHING Auburn. We have ONE good season and everything falls apart! This team was going to be absolutely loaded next year - Preseason top 5 for crying out loud! Now we’ve lost 3 players that we should not have lost with the potential of losing two more. This is flipping ridiculous!!

JABA. Like I was telling @aujeff11. Just seems it is not meant to be for us to ever have sustained success in major sports. Something  ALWAYS happens. Injuries, players leaving, coming so close on can't miss recruits and finishing second, A PLAYER PULLING UP LAME ON THE KICKOFF that basically cost us the natty in 13 (not to mention not reading and being prepared for the most telegraphed fake punt ever) and of course 2 of our best players being ineligible for the whole dang season. Just always something for good ol AU. A long suffering tradition. Am I being over dramatic? Of course. I do not think murray is even that big of a loss but dang man add that on top of all the other potential departures and you get this overly emotional reaction from me.

It was just announced that AU won’t field a team next year.   Start your melt downs early.  

/sarcasm 

I have full faith in Coach Pearl and what we will accomplish next year.  If you feel the need to jump off the AUBB train, please do. 

Just now, InfernoOrangeSS said:

It was just announced that AU won’t field a team next year.   Start your melt downs early.  

/sarcasm 

I have full faith in Coach Pearl and what we will accomplish next year.  If you feel the need to jump off the AUBB train, please do. 

No one is jumping off the train. We are just PISSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED. Let us have our meltdown.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure about that grouping....McLemore had a hard injury and will have to work to come back and odds of Wiley to be here is not that great....and probably Heron gone.  But if Murray gets his degree he might go ahead and do the grad transfer deal and go where he fits better.

But, with all of this action by players who don't have any particular professional basketball future in front of them,  it seems to me that BP should be pushing his recruiting effort right in Auburn. . 

Hard for me to buy the argument that some have made that having a bunch of guys looking to go somewhere else....or maybe play minor league basketball, is good for our recruiting.  This kind of stuff can't be considered as good news...I'm surprised there are so few questions being asked.  

It just is the nature of the beast in college basketball when you have any kind of success. Guys are just looking at the first opportunity to go make money. This is our first taste of it in the one and done era. I do not like it as much as you because we cannot just reload immediately like duke or kentucky.  On paper none of our guys should go pro besides wiley. BUT that is just not how these guys are wired or think. It is happening everywhere not just at AU.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one is jumping off the train. We are just PISSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED. Let us have our meltdown.

?☃️??

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

BUT that is just not how these guys are wired or think. It is happening everywhere not just at AU.

Not to this extent I bet.....I think Harper will be back but there is no good reason for Mitchell or Murray to be leaving....

I'll take a look around the conference over the next week but I'm betting that most teams will have their underclassmen returning unless they are legit NBA prospects. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not to this extent I bet.....I think Harper will be back but there is no good reason for Mitchell or Murray to be leaving....

I'll take a look around the conference over the next week but I'm betting that most teams will have their underclassmen returning unless they are legit NBA prospects. 

Mitch left because he did not want to sit behind harper for 2 more years. He is starter worthy. I hated it but it made sense. Murray makes no sense. Heron did not make much sense but apparently he was dead set on being 2 and done. He seems to not even mind the fact he may not stick in the nba and will just have to go overseas to make his money. I mean what are you going to do if a kid is dead set on leaving? Nothing you can do but to help him and prepare him as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This is the early entry tracker so far from underclassmen. Like we talked about. A lot of kids who have no business of declaring are doing so. Some are just dead set on leaving college even if there is no chance they are drafted. Just the nature of college basketball now.
2018 NBA DRAFT EARLY ENTRY TRACKER

SCHOOL PLAYER AGENT? DRAFT PROJECTION
team logo
SF Deng Adel, junior YES Second round
team logo
G Rawle Alkins, sophomore YES Second round
team logo
F/C Kostas Antetokounmpo, freshman NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
F/C Deandre Ayton, freshman YES Top 3
team logo
F/C Marvin Bagley III, freshman YES Top 6
team logo
C Mohamed Bamba, freshman YES Top 10
team logo
PF Keita Bates-Diop, redshirt junior NO Late first / early second
team logo
G/F Leron Black, redshirt junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Ky Bowman, Boston College NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SG Jordan Brangers, sophomore (JuCo) NO Undrafted (Note: Never played at Colorado State)
team logo
G Mikal Bridges, junior YES Top 15
team logo
F Miles Bridges, sophomore YES Top 15
team logo
G Barry Brown, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Bruce Brown, sophomore YES Second round
team logo
PG Tookie Brown, junior NO Undrafted
team logo
G Troy Brown Jr., freshman YES First round
team logo
G/F Jordan Caroline, redshirt junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Tony Carr, sophomore YES Late first / early second
team logo
G Kameron Chatman, redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
G Haanif Cheatham, junior NO Undrafted (Note: Only played at Marquette)
team logo
PF Yoeli Childs, sophomore NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Chris Clemons, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PF Tyler Cook, sophomore NO Undrafted
team logo
PF Isaac Copeland Jr., redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Jon Davis, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SG Terence Davis, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
C Tyler Davis, junior NO Second round / undrafted
team logo
G Eric Davis Jr., junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
F Marcus Derrickson, junior YES Second round / undrafted
team logo
PF Noah Dickerson, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Torin Dorn, junior NO Late second round / undrafted
team logo
PG Trevon Duval, freshman YES Late first / early second
team logo
PG Carsen Edwards, sophomore NO Second round
team logo
PG Jon Elmore, junior NO Second round
team logo
F/C Drew Eubanks, junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
G/F Jacob Evans, junior NO Late first / early second
team logo
C Bruno Fernando, freshman NO First round
team logo
SG Jarrey Foster, junior NO Second round / undrafted
team logo
SF Robert Franks, junior NO Second round
team logo
SG Melvin Frazier, junior NO Late first / second round
team logo
C Harry Froling, sophomore YES Undrafted
team logo
PG Eugene German, sophomore NO Undrafted
team logo
G Tyler Hall, junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Jaylen Hands, freshman NO Second round / undrafted
team logo
F/C Ethan Happ, junior NO Second round
team logo
G Mustapha Heron, sophomore YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Aaron Holiday, junior YES Late first round / early second
team logo
G Jalen Hudson, redshirt junior NO Second round
team logo
C Dewan Huell, sophomore NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Tramain Isbell, redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
SG Deangelo Isby, junior NO Undrafted
team logo
F/C Jaren Jackson Jr., freshman YES Top 6
team logo
G/F Justin James, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Zach Johnson, junior NO Undrafted
team logo
F Kevin Knox, freshman YES Top 15
team logo
C Sagaba Konate, sophomore NO Late first / second round
team logo
G/F Terry Larrier, redshirt junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
SG Fletcher Magee, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SF Caleb Martin, redshirt junior NO Late first / second round
team logo
SF Cody Martin, redshirt junior NO Second round / undrafted
  C Matur Maker, high school YES Likely undrafted
team logo
C Brandon McCoy, freshman YES Late first / early second
team logo
F Jalen McDaniels, freshman NO Undrafted
team logo
F Jack McVeigh, junior YES Undrafted
team logo
PG De'Anthony Melton, sophomore YES Late first / early second
team logo
F/C Chimezie Metu, junior YES Second round
team logo
PG Shake Milton, junior NO Late first / second round
team logo
F Elijah Minnie, redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Shelton Mitchell, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Matt Morgan, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Isaiah Moses, sophomore NO Undrafted
team logo
G Malik Newman, redshirt sophomore YES Second round
team logo
SG Josh Okogie, sophomore NO Second round
team logo
G James Palmer Jr., redshirt junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Lamar Peters, sophomore NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Shamorie Ponds, sophomore NO Second round
team logo
PF Jontay Porter, freshman NO Late first / early second
team logo
F Michael Porter Jr., freshman YES Top 10
team logo
PG Marcquise Reed, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
C Trayvon Reed, redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Kerwin Roach, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G/F Jerome Robinson, junior NO Late first / early second
team logo
SG Quinton Rose, sophomore NO Undrafted
team logo
G Corey Sanders, junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
G/F Admiral Schofield, junior NO Second round / undrafted
team logo
PG Landry Shamet, sophomore YES Late first / early second
  G Anfernee Simons, high school YES Late first / early second
team logo
G/F Zhaire Smith, freshman NO First round
team logo
F Ray Spalding, junior YES Second round
team logo
G Max Strus, freshman NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Deshon Taylor, redshirt junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Khyri Thomas, junior NO First round
team logo
SG Gary Trent Jr., freshman YES First round
team logo
G Allonzo Trier, junior YES Second round
team logo
G/F Lagerald Vick, junior YES Late second / undrafted
team logo
G Lonnie Walker, freshman YES First round
team logo
PF Nick Ward, sophomore NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SF P.J. Washington, freshman NO Late first / early second
team logo
G Quinndary Weatherspoon, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SG Nick Weatherspoon, freshman NO Undrafted
team logo
G Andrien White, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PF Demajeo Wiggins, junior NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
PG Lindell Wigginton, freshman NO Late second / undrafted
team logo
SF Kris Wilkes, freshman NO First round
team logo
C Robert Williams, sophomore YES First round
team logo
PG Justin Wright-Foreman, junior NO Undrafted
team logo
PG Trae Young, freshman YES Top 10
team logo
C Omer Yurtseven, sophomore NO Second round / undrafted

This is starting to get a little concerning now.

I understand Mitchell. Heron too, even.

This one makes no sense. Danjel coming in would not cut into his minutes THAT much. Is he worried of Babatunde potentially coming in? He got his degree so good for him but his relentlessness on the glass will be sorely missed. I'm shocked at this.

Somebody convince me this isn't a big deal.

Good list...thanks for posting ...but most as you note are first or second round.

Will be interesting to see what happens at bama, MSU, Tennessee and some of the other better SEC teams and see what they lose. .We were thin to begin with and BP is gonna have to work hard to end up with 8 SEC quality players for this season when the season starts.....and note that DP not eligible until part way through the season. . 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good list...thanks for posting ...but most as you note are first or second round.

Will be interesting to see what happens at bama, MSU, Tennessee and some of the other better SEC teams and see what they lose. .We were thin to begin with and BP is gonna have to work hard to end up with 8 SEC quality players for this season when the season starts.....and note that DP not eligible until part way through the season. . 

Being drafted in the second round is nothing in the nba. Very few success stories of second rounders having good success. Most of the ones have actually happened recently. Before it was like a graveyard of guys who  mostly did nothing besides a few exceptions. They are not even guaranteed a contract. Most do not stick in the nba. IMO if your stock is the second round it is a BAD decision to go pro.  In a ideal world only the sure fire first rounders would go pro. But alas it is not. Thankfully overseas you can still make 6 figures and earn a good living. It is not like the nfl draft where there is no good paying leagues to fall back on if you do not make it in the nfl.

I think Murray's case is unique. 

I think he came to AU and the SEC  more for the exposure and going against better competition.

Now he thinks with his stats from the SEC and winning the SEC he can try to play for pay overseas. He's never going to be NBA material. 

Now if he can't get on a team overseas, he can use grad transfer to go play somewhere else where he has competition more to his liking. And not get beat up like he did in the SEC . 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Being drafted in the second round is nothing in the nba. Very few success stories of second rounders having good success. Most of the ones have actually happened recently. Before it was like a graveyard of guys who  mostly did nothing besides a few exceptions. They are not even guaranteed a contract. Most do not stick in the nba. IMO if your stock is the second round it is a BAD decision to go pro.  In a ideal world only the sure fire first rounders would go pro. But alas it is not. Thankfully overseas you can still make 6 figures and earn a good living. It is not like the nfl draft where there is no good paying leagues to fall back on if you do not make it in the nfl.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/houston-barber/where-are-all-the-second-_b_9722192.html   

Good discussion on your comment.  And if 2nd round draft choices have such little chance it's hard to see why anyone who could not be projected at least that high would not even bother to go through the process.   As I mentioned earlier, there are more than 6000 American basketball players earning their living overseas......so aside from the G League, there are plenty of places to make a reasonable living.  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/houston-barber/where-are-all-the-second-_b_9722192.html   

Good discussion on your comment.  And if 2nd round draft choices have such little chance it's hard to see why anyone who could not be projected at least that high would not even bother to go through the process.   As I mentioned earlier, there are more than 6000 American basketball players earning their living overseas......so aside from the G League, there are plenty of places to make a reasonable living.  

Pro basketball players really benefit that basketball is a global game. Football players do not have that same luxury. GOOD READ! Thanks for sharing.

Archived