Desean Murray to transfer or go pro

GwillMac6

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pro basketball players really benefit that basketball is a global game. Football players do not have that same luxury. GOOD READ! Thanks for sharing.

Yep and if a guy is not going to be a first round pick this year....odds are he won't be a first round pick next year since most of them are freshmen or foreign players anyway.

So maybe there is no good reason for kids to hang around college unless they  enjoy the college life....and they put some value on getting the degree...such as Murray is doing.    Otherwise, kids leaving in their soph year have probably not learned much in college that has career application so basketball is about all they have going for themselves when they leave.  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

My gosh. Why would you not want to play for this team next year? I get not being happy somewhere, but what is so bad about this program that everyone is transferring??? 

It's 2018. Players play for themselves more than ever.

The state of sports is hard on the older guys like me. Used to be able to count on the fact that you had players for four years in college and for most or all of a career in professional ball. Can't blame the players for going where they think the grass is greener though. That's their prerogative. The only thing you can count on now is that you can't count on anything for long. I'll feel good about Auburn basketball as long as Pearl is coaching. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep and if a guy is not going to be a first round pick this year....odds are he won't be a first round pick next year since most of them are freshmen or foreign players anyway.

So maybe there is no good reason for kids to hang around college unless they  enjoy the college life....and they put some value on getting the degree...such as Murray is doing.    Otherwise, kids leaving in their soph year have probably not learned much in college that has career application so basketball is about all they have going for themselves when they leave.  

well frickin said 64. I love it!

Maybe he sees Chuma getting more minutes next year? That would certainly eat into his minutes

• WarTiger changed the title to Desean Murray to transfer or go pro

Murray was going to lose PT next year. I think he's going to graduate and try to play overseas. And I THINK this is a sign of positive things for us. Between the transfer market and what could be returning, I think we're in good shape. We won't go into next season with only 8-9 scholarship players. We're going to probably have 11 scholarship guys and two freshmen transfers that have to sit out next year. I feel confident that, if Bruce felt like he had to have Murray for next year, Murray wouldn't be leaving.

Also, just something to think about. Over 800 D1 basketball players transferred to another school last year alone. I've listened to some basketball podcasts that think that number could be close to 1,000 this year. That would be somewhere around 20% of D1 players transferring to another school. It's just the game right now. Doesn't mean Auburn is falling apart.

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

By whom?

People that realized the time crunch that Murray was going to get into assuming everyone was back. I expected someone was going to transfer I just thought it would be Malik. 

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

JABA. Like I was telling @aujeff11. Just seems it is not meant to be for us to ever have sustained success in major sports. Something  ALWAYS happens. Injuries, players leaving, coming so close on can't miss recruits and finishing second, A PLAYER PULLING UP LAME ON THE KICKOFF that basically cost us the natty in 13 (not to mention not reading and being prepared for the most telegraphed fake punt ever) and of course 2 of our best players being ineligible for the whole dang season. Just always something for good ol AU. A long suffering tradition. Am I being over dramatic? Of course. I do not think murray is even that big of a loss but dang man add that on top of all the other potential departures and you get this overly emotional reaction from me.

I have NEVER noticed you being overly dramatic.;)

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

The state of sports is hard on the older guys like me. Used to be able to count on the fact that you had players for four years in college and for most or all of a career in professional ball. Can't blame the players for going where they think the grass is greener though. That's their prerogative. The only thing you can count on now is that you can't count on anything for long. I'll feel good about Auburn basketball as long as Pearl is coaching. 

This x 100

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

People that realized the time crunch that Murray was going to get into assuming everyone was back. I expected someone was going to transfer I just thought it would be Malik. 

This. We'll have a good team next year, but we do need to add a GT point or combo guard.

well i'm bummed to see Murray go. I do see where his time would have gone down with Mac, Wiley, Spencer, and Chuma getting a lot of the minutes at the 4 and 5. But i really felt like Murray brought another level of work ethic to the team. His willingness to do the dirty work as an upper classmen set a great precedent for young guys. I really hope we don't loss that with Murray moving on. 

In other notes best of luck to you Murray. I really enjoyed watching you play this past year and appreciate what you brought to this team. 

This is the last player i thought we'd lose. He was much needed this year and glad we had him. If things go well for us in the next couple of months, we won't miss him. However if things don't go well, he is a big loss. Good luck to him. If pro ball somewhere is his goal i understand(nba ain't happening) but transferring to another school makes no sense.

19 hours ago, alexava said:

This is the last player i thought we'd lose. He was much needed this year and glad we had him. If things go well for us in the next couple of months, we won't miss him. However if things don't go well, he is a big loss. Good luck to him. If pro ball somewhere is his goal i understand(nba ain't happening) but transferring to another school makes no sense.

If he transfers to a smaller school or one of the minor conferences then that would be somewhat understandable. Get to a league where he can dominant again might be his goal? Not sure but i certainly didn't see him leaving. It makes one wonder if the players aren't happy at AU and if so why is that? They certainly have plenty of reasons to be unhappy with AU with several coaches getting let go or put on paid leave. The great season helped us all forget what a cluster **** AU basketball appeared to be sliding into with admin speaking publicly about coaches not cooperating and coaches saying they were being put on leave without any explanation. I  wondering if there are still some lingering hurt feelings with the players on how all that went down

9 hours ago, gravejd said:

If he transfers to a smaller school or one of the minor conferences then that would be somewhat understandable. Get to a league where he can dominant again might be his goal? Not sure but i certainly didn't see him leaving. It makes one wonder if the players aren't happy at AU and if so why is that? They certainly have plenty of reasons to be unhappy with AU with several coaches getting let go or put on paid leave. The great season helped us all forget what a cluster **** AU basketball appeared to be sliding into with admin speaking publicly about coaches not cooperating and coaches saying they were being put on leave without any explanation. I  wondering if there are still some lingering hurt feelings with the players on how all that went down

He came to AU from a small Div 1 school (Presbyterian) where he dominated the league...Kind of hard for me to see him going back to that......so I'm guessing the plan is to play pro balls somewhere...

Makes no sense for him to take a step down as @AU64mentioned. I'm sure he left Presbyterian with the intention of never playing against such low quality competition again. It would do nothing to help him and only delay his opportunity to be paid for a year for what exactly? Unless he really wants one more chance to be the most dominant player on the court I can't see how him stepping down a competition level makes any sense. To each his own though.

IMO Desean will be earning money this coming season overseas

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Makes no sense for him to take a step down as @AU64mentioned. I'm sure he left Presbyterian with the intention of never playing against such low quality competition again. It would do nothing to help him and only delay his opportunity to be paid for a year for what exactly? Unless he really wants one more chance to be the most dominant player on the court I can't see how him stepping down a competition level makes any sense. To each his own though.

IMO Desean will be earning money this coming season overseas

Yeah I agree with all that. I think he’ll go overseas. But getting back to dominating again is the only logical reason to move schools that I could think of outside of he didn’t like AU for some reason. 

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yeah I agree with all that. I think he’ll go overseas. But getting back to dominating again is the only logical reason to move schools that I could think of outside of he didn’t like AU for some reason. 

There is also the thought out there that Chuma's impending emergence (and Danjel being able to play some 4 potentially) would eat into his playing time more than he'd like for his final opportunity to put some money-making film together for pro leagues to look at. So that could be part of it as well.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Guess that could be ....but he will leave with an Auburn diploma....no small thing and it will likely cut more ice in the outside world than a diploma from his previous school.    Best I can tell, he made a good move coming to AU and it will pay dividends for him in years to come. ...proved he can play with the big boys in a tough conference....and got that degree.   Congrats to him.    :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Ok we get it, Baylor is pissed we took their QB. 

Ha, a trade I’d make every time. :)

Archived