Desean Murray to transfer or go pro

GwillMac6

29 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I love Mac but i don’t see him in the nba.  He does not have the ball skills or outside shot.  Although he is quick off the ground, he doesn’t have the strength or height for nba inside game.

he’ll kill it in Europe.

He’s cold this year from 3 but he shot .391 last year and led the team in 3pt % and it’s not like it was a small sample size. I agree that he needs to improve his ball handling but he’s absolutely an nba prospect in today’s game

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s gotta be a spot for a guy like Mac in the nba. He’ll never be a big time scorer but he brings so much else to the table. Harper will be an interesting case. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt for now and say he makes it. I think Brown will have to go over seas 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be clear I am not one of those guys who thought Murray had a shot at playing pro ball in America. Just originally was commenting on the idea of him stepping down a level to improve his NBA chances made no sense 

Yeah I was just saying people throw it around

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Mac’s best case scenario is a Draymond clone, which I think is in the realm of possibility 

How? One of the things that Golden State does with daymond and Bruce actually did with Bowers was he rebounds and can start the break. It's pretty important, A mac doesn't have that ability at all

Mac is a very good college player and a great fit in our system. He will be one hell of a player in Europe where the players are all very good just don't have elite size across the board. Think about it, Anfernee is shorter than several SFs in the NBA. And his skillset is that of a C, not a PF, but a C. He's a rim protecting stretch 5 at this level. 

I love Anfernee. He's a fantastic defender. I've never seen anyone alter and block shots as well as him without fouling. He is the master of the principle of verticality. I don't know if that makes any grammatical sense but just roll with it.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Mac is a very good college player and a great fit in our system. He will be one hell of a player in Europe where the players are all very good just don't have elite size across the board. Think about it, Anfernee is shorter than several SFs in the NBA. And his skillset is that of a C, not a PF, but a C. He's a rim protecting stretch 5 at this level. 

I love Anfernee. He's a fantastic defender. I've never seen anyone alter and block shots as well as him without fouling. He is the master of the principle of verticality. I don't know if that makes any grammatical sense but just roll with it.

10 years ago Mac probably doesn’t have a place in the nba and Austin would be a top pick. Now it’s different. I don’t think Mac will be a star but I definitely think he’s a desirable bench player for teams that wanna run a small ball lineup. Don’t think he’ll jump to the league after this season but he’ll be a desirable pick if he keeps improving his 3pt shot for sure

4 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

10 years ago Mac probably doesn’t have a place in the nba and Austin would be a top pick. Now it’s different. I don’t think Mac will be a star but I definitely think he’s a desirable bench player for teams that wanna run a small ball lineup. Don’t think he’ll jump to the league after this season but he’ll be a desirable pick if he keeps improving his 3pt shot for sure

I would love for him to make it to the NBA. I wouldn't bet on it though personally. Maybe it's just me. And I love Anfernee. There's a reason we finished 3-4 with him out of the lineup last season. He is a major X-factor. 

Who is his NBA comp would you say?

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If he had a handle and shot better he'd be perfect. But if he actually became as good of a defensive rebounder as he is offensive he could still be in there. I'm thinking he must have a great wingspan to be able to do the things he can do. 

I imagine he would seek a role like Larry nance Jr. He has a build to play like OG Anuby but I don't know if he can guard in space. If he had the size he'd be great to play like John Collins in ATL

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How? One of the things that Golden State does with daymond and Bruce actually did with Bowers was he rebounds and can start the break. It's pretty important, A mac doesn't have that ability at all

Anfernee doesn’t have the same floor vision but he is an adept rebounder and a marginally better scorer IMO, better athlete too. I really meant as an undersized defensive anchor with a great IQ though. If he got in the right system with the fine tuning encouraged by Mark Jackson, he could be great. Draymond wasnt even Draymond until he got molded

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anfernee doesn’t have the same floor vision but he is an adept rebounder and a marginally better scorer IMO, better athlete too. I really meant as an undersized defensive anchor with a great IQ though. If he got in the right system with the fine tuning encouraged by Mark Jackson, he could be great. Draymond wasnt even Draymond until he got molded

You should look at his college highlights. He was a much better scorer than A Mac. Right now he is just put back, oop, and left alone 3. I see your point though

I thought Mac would develop more of a handle this year but maybe his injury stunted that. He still has a place in the league without it. But if wants to stay in the league for a long time then he definitely needs to learn how to handle the ball at an above average level

On 11/26/2018 at 4:48 PM, cole256 said:

If he had a handle and shot better he'd be perfect. But if he actually became as good of a defensive rebounder as he is offensive he could still be in there. I'm thinking he must have a great wingspan to be able to do the things he can do. 

I imagine he would seek a role like Larry nance Jr. He has a build to play like OG Anuby but I don't know if he can guard in space. If he had the size he'd be great to play like John Collins in ATL

Man if he was a few inches taller he could definitely have a place like Larry Nance Jr. I don't think he can stick with the wings like OG though and that's what the NBA is going to ask of him. BTW I'm a big fan of John Collins. What ATL is building with him, Trae, and Huerter (down the line) can be a nice young core to build around.

But I really think Mac will likely be one of the most productive players in whichever European league he enters. And that's not a bad thing, the kid will make a living play a game before he makes major money using his intellect. I wish I was good enough to play in Europe lol. But hey I'm pulling for all of our players to make the NBA.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Man if he was a few inches taller he could definitely have a place like Larry Nance Jr. I don't think he can stick with the wings like OG though and that's what the NBA is going to ask of him. BTW I'm a big fan of John Collins. What ATL is building with him, Trae, and Huerter (down the line) can be a nice young core to build around.

But I really think Mac will likely be one of the most productive players in whichever European league he enters. And that's not a bad thing, the kid will make a living play a game before he makes major money using his intellect. I wish I was good enough to play in Europe lol. But hey I'm pulling for all of our players to make the NBA.

I have two friends that play overseas. One of them is a freaking Jordan model as well...😐

All that free gear man

• 2 weeks later...
Retweeted

Western Kentucky's Desean Murray will leave the program to pursue professional opportunities, per release. Grad transfer from Auburn.

DeSean Murray, who spent the 2017-18 season at Auburn, has left the Western Kentucky basketball team to “pursue professional opportunities”, according to multiple reports. Murray was a graduate transfer to the Hilltoppers this season.

Murray started all 34 games for Auburn last season, averaging 10.1 points per game, and led the team with 6.7 rebounds per game. He was ineffective when it counted most, going just 4-of-15 in the NCAA Tournament. He played his first two seasons at Presbyterian.

Murray played in just eight games this season for WKU. He was suspended for the season opener because of a violation of team rules. He most recently just played 11 minutes in a win over Arkansas, where he scored no points.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2018/12/former-auburn-standout-desean-murray-leaves-wku-basketball.html 

3 hours ago, tallgraycat said:

DeSean Murray, who spent the 2017-18 season at Auburn, has left the Western Kentucky basketball team to “pursue professional opportunities”, according to multiple reports. Murray was a graduate transfer to the Hilltoppers this season.

Murray started all 34 games for Auburn last season, averaging 10.1 points per game, and led the team with 6.7 rebounds per game. He was ineffective when it counted most, going just 4-of-15 in the NCAA Tournament. He played his first two seasons at Presbyterian.

Murray played in just eight games this season for WKU. He was suspended for the season opener because of a violation of team rules. He most recently just played 11 minutes in a win over Arkansas, where he scored no points.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2018/12/former-auburn-standout-desean-murray-leaves-wku-basketball.html 

Hate to hear this. He was one of my favorite players last year along with McLemore. Worked hard. Hope he can get it things headed in a positive direction for himself. 

I'm glad he left just because the potential that he could've maybe gotten some look somewhere as the guy and maybe find a staff that could purely focus on developing him vs managing a whole stable of talent, but it probably wasnt the best look going to WKU of all schools. Hes your quintessential hustle guy that just wasnt blessed with a hustle frame 

Archived